Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I sleep in a big bed with my your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Couldn't give a poo poo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

I will wait for the inevitable "Previously, on X-Men..." YouTube video that's just random out of context things from each episode that make the show seem like it's batshit insane.

Previously, on X-Men... posted:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im glad jubilee is still in it because as a useless mutant it's nice to see useless mutants included in things

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

even though i am old now i will probably watch it because i still like watching goddamn cartoons

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I am too old for kids’ cartoons now op

Cartoons bad! Mowing the lawn good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Usanimation is for children

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hey, remember Wolverine and the X-Men? That was a pretty good show.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

im glad jubilee is still in it because as a useless mutant it's nice to see useless mutants included in things

I may be misremembering, but can't she basically control mass on the molecular level and is just repressing her own powers? Or am I thinking of Gambit?

itry fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 21, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grey Cat posted:

Cartoons bad! Mowing the lawn good.

Cartoons about mowing the lawn neutral?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jstmIW4Rzo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTZJ39xrf_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybfKlUtH_U

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dr_rat posted:

Cartoons about mowing the lawn neutral?

Yes, I, an adult, approve these cartoons for viewership.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2024

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

itry posted:

Hey, remember Wolverine and the X-Men? That was a pretty good show.

I may be misremembering, but can't she basically control mass on the molecular level and is just repressing her own powers? Or am I thinking of Gambit?

i think there's some woo about her being incredibly powerful, actually, but she's mostly about fireworks

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Her powers resemble fireworks but she's actually shooting explosive plasma bolts, in the comics when she grew up she'd become powerful enough to blow up cars n' poo poo like that.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

If you've ever wondered what the full song would sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSBjMyeWrsA

I saw them live last year. I'd recommend it but they don't often tour.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i like cartoons but im a superhero h8er so im not ready OP

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh good more marvel poo poo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cubone posted:

:engleft: back in the 60's, there was an x-men character called changeling (during the run of the comics that turned out to be so unpopular that the series was cancelled and they just started reprinting old stories with new numbers on the cover instead)
he was a minor villain who appeared in 3 issues, and he and Blob and two guys that nobody remembers turned on their leader, Mutant Mastermind, when he turned out to actually be a space octopus that was trying to start world war 3 (watchmen stole this). changeling used his powers exactly once and everybody acted shocked that a character named "changeling" had the ability to change into other people, and then he disappeared and was not mentioned again because he wasn't important and nobody cared about him.
later professor x died for the first time, and they went like two years with him dead before the writers decided they wanted to bring him back, and the way they did that was, he shows up, and everybody's like wtf, and he reveals that the him that died was actually changeling (remember? he got tricked by a space octopus back in 1967), who'd been dying of cancer and had come to professor x to ask for the chance to redeem himself at the end of his life (even though he didn't really do anything wrong except be tricked by an octopus?) by joining the x-men, and professor x was like "no, I'm a jerk. instead, secretly take my place and die nameless because I don't want to be bothered while I go prepare for an unrelated alien invasion."

so when they started developing the x-men cartoon, the people making it wanted to establish the background of tragedy and lost comrades that sort of define part of the relationship the x-men have with each other and the world at large, so they decided to take a member of the x-men that had died shortly after his first appearance and move that story up in the timeline so they could include it in the cartoon series. and the character they picked was, of course, changeling john proudstar aka thunderbird. introduced alongside colossus and nightcrawler in the all-new all-different x-men, thunderbird had been deemed to be too similar in personality to wolverine and killed off, then was hardly mentioned ever again. if you know of Thunderbird at all, it's orobably because his little brother Warpath shows up sometimes to be pissed off about professor x getting him killed, but by and large he's probably best known for being one of the only superheroes who it didn't even seem to occur to anybody to bring back.
but, as production approached, the showrunners became uncomfortable with the idea of having exactly one native american character specifically just to kill him off, and they sure as hell weren't gonna have two, so they dug through the archives looking for another x-man who'd died and nobody cared about, and that was changeling... even though he was never actually on the team. so effectively what they came up with for the cartoon was an entirely new character who just shared powers and name with changeling. but then, whoops, in the intervening period between the character being killed off and the comic becoming relevant enough to get a cartoon, the Distinguished Competition had snatched up the trademark to the name "changeling" for their own shapeshifting comic book character, changeling beast boy. so the cartoonists, presumably feeling pretty tired, just renamed him "morph", which kind of ship-of-theseus'd him into just being an entirely new character, and millions of children all had to watch this rando who we could just tell didn't really belong there hanging around and pretending to be part of the family (not unlike the namesakes of a certain character from the comics, eh? I am of course talking about changeling the stepford cuckoos, who are named after both the stepford wives and the midwich cuckoos (basis of the village of the damned))

Wow. Someone else actually knows all of this other than me. I was going thorough my 1st divorce when this cartoon originally aired, so I never caught it. I did however read all X-Men titles in real time from 1979-1992.

Jean also knew about Charles' plan to fake his death and didn't say anything.

Thunderbird is interesting and would likely gets LOTS of bad press if that were to happen today. Wien and Cockrum wanted a character that would flunk the first mission. Banshee and Sunfire were older, so it didn't make sense (what?) for them to fail since they were vets. So they decide to kill him. But, they really love his costume and think he's cool so they keep him around. But then they decide he's too much of a "loudmouth" so he needs to go since Wolverine is already there.

I have the Omnibus collections and they reprint the old letter columns there. There's a few from Native American fans who are over them moon there is a representation in their favourite title. Then they kill him next issue. Fans were upset, and of course their reply is "Well his was too much of a loudmouth".

Why they just didn't change Thunderbird's personality is beyond me. I mean, they are the writers! He says what they write. It was early enough and would have been a great story to see some reckless hothead learn to work in a team while still discussing his issues with society.

Wolverine at this time was boring. He only had a few lines and none of this catch phrases. Hell, he only gets interesting when the Hellfire Club shows up years later.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the writers (who have been called out for racism and sexism in many other examples) were wrong here. When you have a title that is based on diversity it helps to have a diverse team.

Sunfire left the team only a few issues after and he was, imho, more of a "loudmouth".

I know there was some internal drama at Marvel and Cockrum left mid-run. They ran some backup story in the middle of introducing the Star Jammers, and it's kinda weak. Things get so much better when John Byrne shows up.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i like cartoons but im a superhero h8er so im not ready OP

Poohs Packin posted:

Oh good more marvel poo poo

this

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Kinda how I'm feeling, this superhero stuff has been so saturated for the last 20 years I was already kinda burnt out after ironman 2 and there's been FORTY FIVE marvel movies since then, that's not even an exaggeration.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the power rangers theme song > the x-men theme song

ill fight anyone who disagrees

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Grey Cat posted:

Kinda how I'm feeling, this superhero stuff has been so saturated for the last 20 years I was already kinda burnt out after ironman 2 and there's been FORTY FIVE marvel movies since then, that's not even an exaggeration.

Luckily I've ignored 95% of that direct-to-video sludge, so I can check out this 90's callback without any fear of OD'ing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was born ready Bub.

*Snikt

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

itry posted:

Luckily I've ignored 95% of that direct-to-video sludge, so I can check out this 90's callback without any fear of OD'ing.

For sure, I haven't seen 95% of whatever marvel has pushed to theater the last 15 years. I can definitely see the appeal of the new cartoon at least, it's styled to be pretty nostalgic and looks nothing like new marvel stuff.
Much more reminiscent of old comic books and Saturday cartoons.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Watching it is absolutely nostalgia. I can't imagine enjoying it at all if you never liked the old cartoon

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i tried watching old x men cartoons recently and they were really boring slow and jarring. i realized that maybe it wasn't as good a show as i remembered, and i put it to bed fondly in my mind.

a week later i learned of this reboot lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Question for the X-Men experts: In issue XXXX Wolverine was absolutely obliterated, but was able to eventually regenerate just from a small remainder of skin and blood. While I accept that as possible, how was the admantium regenerated to cover his skeleton? Since it's not natural to his body. Thanks.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Grey Cat posted:

For sure, I haven't seen 95% of whatever marvel has pushed to theater the last 15 years. I can definitely see the appeal of the new cartoon at least, it's styled to be pretty nostalgic and looks nothing like new marvel stuff.
Much more reminiscent of old comic books and Saturday cartoons.

Yeah, it's far removed from w/e the current Marvel style appears to be. Making it a direct continuation of the old cartoon was a good call.

Edit:

Previously, on X-Men... posted:

itry fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 21, 2024

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I did not expect the second episode to go in the direction it did.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Wasn't there a storyline in the show or comic that had Wolverine and Jubilee together on their own? I remember that even as a kid I thought it had a mild pedo vibe to it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Call Your Grandma posted:

i can't wait 4 seasons for mutant 9/11

The show is way ahead of you. They already did mutant January 6th.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

redshirt posted:

Question for the X-Men experts: In issue XXXX Wolverine was absolutely obliterated, but was able to eventually regenerate just from a small remainder of skin and blood. While I accept that as possible, how was the admantium regenerated to cover his skeleton? Since it's not natural to his body. Thanks.

The powers of The Shareholders.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Internetjack posted:

Wasn't there a storyline in the show or comic that had Wolverine and Jubilee together on their own? I remember that even as a kid I thought it had a mild pedo vibe to it.

I remember the first X-Men movie by Bryan Singer paired up Wolverine and Rogue together in a Lone Wolf and Cub relationship for most of its arc. There wasn't anything creepy about that relationship though, which is ironic given that Singer himself was a creeper.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Watching it is absolutely nostalgia. I can't imagine enjoying it at all if you never liked the old cartoon

Yeah I was too old when the first cartoon came out to care about it so this does nothing for me.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

not too bad for nostalgia bait. hello again old friend

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

true for the first episode imo, which I feel was a throwback

the second episode feels like a transition into a newer, better thing

show rules and magneto is based af

fashion choices are incredible

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

malcom x was always cooler than martin luther

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jelly posted:

true for the first episode imo, which I feel was a throwback

the second episode feels like a transition into a newer, better thing

show rules and magneto is based af

fashion choices are incredible

Yeah, I've only seen a couple clips of 97, but the part where Magneto's in front of the UN going "I am trying to a be a better person, and even though you literally just showed me why I was right to be a villain in the first place and you're not worthy of my trust, I'm going to keep trying to be better, and if you give me a reason to end your asses then that's purely on you" was loving baller.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

redshirt posted:

the adamantium likes him and wants to continue to hang out, ihth

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the admantium was magnetically bound to the x-factor in wolverine’s dna. that’s why he survived the weapon x project, why it grew back, and why only magneto was able to truly separate wolverine from his unbreakable skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TrashMammal posted:

malcom x was always cooler than martin luther

To be fair MLK was never in a UFO cult.