Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Wait, is 97 actually good? I really enjoyed the show as a child, but when I looked back as an adult it had a lot of flaws and was all over the place. I was riffing here on the assumption that 97 was just some mid nostalgia swill that was too childish to satisfy the original audience now that they've grown up.

Can we get some effort post reviews from people who've actually watched the whole season?

The whole season isn't out yet, Disney+ is showing one episode per week at the moment. But so far I'm enjoying it.

It's still the same utterly crazy plot speed as the old cartoon and I wish it would slow down a little to just let things breathe once in a while, but it's not so crazy that you can't keep up with it if you're even vaguely paying attention. I'm not going to say that it's good writing since it's almost entirely the usual comic book cartoon silliness but there have been a few moments where I was genuinely surprised by events as they unfolded and, of course, there are the expected nods to real-world social issues.

The animation is better than the original series IMO and the voice acting is pretty much exactly how you'd expect a cartoon superhero thing from the 90s to be, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There are 5 episodes so far and the first half of the 4th one (which is, so far, the only episode that is split in half between two stories) is the only part where I wasn't really engaged, but that's basically because it's the most archetypal plot about being in a video game but for realsies! and that's just not an interesting plot and hasn't been for well over 25 years at this point. The second half, however, was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wish the Friends of Humanity were a bit less white and rednecky. It kind of makes the obvious real life parallel too on the nose imo

gee i sure wish these white supremacist stand-ins looked and sounded a bit less like white supremacists :v:

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Well I'm sold. I'll check it out tonight.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Vakal posted:

Busy being a vampire I think.

So whatever they do.

Nah, that ended like 6 years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Wait, is 97 actually good? I really enjoyed the show as a child, but when I looked back as an adult it had a lot of flaws and was all over the place. I was riffing here on the assumption that 97 was just some mid nostalgia swill that was too childish to satisfy the original audience now that they've grown up.

Can we get some effort post reviews from people who've actually watched the whole season?

The best take I've heard about the new show is that it's what you thought the show was when you were a kid before revisiting it years later and realizing it was kind of iffy. It retains the spirit of the old show, but with more creative freedom and higher quality writing and animation. Wolverine hasn't straight up sliced anyone yet, but he absolutely can here and probably will (there's a quick moment of Jubilee using her powers that is shockingly graphic for something on Disney+). Instead of being married to the roster as a show-long status quo, the line-up changes by episode to the point that characters are added or removed from the intro's "hero's logo appears as they do an action pose." Even playing it as something that happens in 1997, they tie it into some heavy real-life stuff that has happened since.

The action is great and they've been going full ham into the soap opera aspect of it. It also helps that even if he's in every episode so far, there is barely any focus on Wolverine, instead focusing on making characters like Cyclops, Jean, and Gambit compelling.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Gavok posted:

The best take I've heard about the new show is that it's what you thought the show was when you were a kid before revisiting it years later and realizing it was kind of iffy. It retains the spirit of the old show, but with more creative freedom and higher quality writing and animation. Wolverine hasn't straight up sliced anyone yet, but he absolutely can here and probably will (there's a quick moment of Jubilee using her powers that is shockingly graphic for something on Disney+). Instead of being married to the roster as a show-long status quo, the line-up changes by episode to the point that characters are added or removed from the intro's "hero's logo appears as they do an action pose." Even playing it as something that happens in 1997, they tie it into some heavy real-life stuff that has happened since.

The action is great and they've been going full ham into the soap opera aspect of it. It also helps that even if he's in every episode so far, there is barely any focus on Wolverine, instead focusing on making characters like Cyclops, Jean, and Gambit compelling.

Going full Claremont on the dialogue and interpersonal drama was the best decision the show has made by far. If I remember the original cartoon leaned into it but not as hard. I also really appreciate what they've been doing with Cyclops and it makes me think the heavy focus on him is going to lead to some cool stories inspired by the comics later on.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wish the Friends of Humanity were a bit less white and rednecky. It kind of makes the obvious real life parallel too on the nose imo

I know authors that use subtext, and they are all cowards.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dark Phoenix was lame. Jean Gray and all those dumb aliens were lame.

There I said it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

There I said it

The plot arc from Marvel Girl to Phoenix to Dark Phoenix blew my young mind.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Master Mold was pretty cool

He gave birth to baby sentinels

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

I just watched the first four episodes and it's fuckin everything it could be so far. And apparently the 5th episode is like the 37th highest rated episode of any show ever on IMDB right now which is insane. I've got mad hype for it tonight.

The first episode felt the weakest, but that's to be expected as it has to do so much heavy lifting to reestablish the world. However, the show puts in the work and once the story gets moving, my god, things start happening at a break-neck pace that creates a unique 90's feel.

For example, a bad guy will show up and in just a few sentences you get who they are, what they're trying to do, and why. Just enough is said for everything to click together and make sense and then poo poo goes down. It's the kind of brevity that was essential for a 22 minute children's serial from the days before DVD and streaming, but I honestly haven't really seen it used this aggressively for a long time. Serials stopped rushing their story progression and leaned into themes and characterization much more indulgently once viewers could reliably watch and rewatch episodes in the right order.

97 still fits in plenty of theme building and characterization, and it feels well considered and emotional, it's just very lean and doesn't waste too much time chewing the fat. And whenever a character is actually given a moment to monologue, they make you feel something. When Xavier's murderer talked about tolerance being extinction, it gave me chills.

So far everything that's happened has both made sense and been interesting. The relationships between characters have natural tension and feel dynamic and some unexpected curves balls are coming down the pipe that are going to shake things up among the team. The show is even doing a great job patching weird nit-picking lore questions I had such as where the power inhibitor collars came from. The fights themselves have good weight to them and the powers are being used in novel ways that remind me of Avatar and Legend of Korra. These X-Men aren't rookies, they're veterans of 6 seasons of insanity and they fight like veterans.

There is however, an occasional line or two that sticks out a bit, but I just remember the shows origin as children's entertainment and accept these imperfections as unique notes among its nostalgic flavor. One such line I was not expecting was Wolverine repeatedly spamming his battlecry:

A JERK-OFF GARAGE!
A JERK-OFF GARAGE!

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smugworth posted:

Master Mold was pretty cool

He gave birth to baby sentinels

Hatch is in the wrong spot.

Wanna to see mastermold with their legs up in stirrups, pushing those baby sentinels out all covered in grease and oil.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

There I said it

without that stupid poo poo we wouldn't have gotten im the juggernaut bitch tho

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

It's true, Ep 5 is an all time great episode of TV.

I'd say more, but Iran just launched 100 drones on Israel and the parallels between what I just watched and what's happening in the real world are a bit much right now.

Let's all hope for peace.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hatch is in the wrong spot.

Wanna to see mastermold with their legs up in stirrups, pushing those baby sentinels out all covered in grease and oil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Exactly.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
X-Men the OG owned. It tackled racism and homophobia in a cool way. Also the episode where Apocalypse was spreading a virus that affected "normal" people which was blamed on mutants by the Nazi paramilitary dorks was great.

X-Men owns and I can't wait for idot chuds to complain about them going woke.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kosmo Gallion posted:

X-Men the OG owned. It tackled racism and homophobia in a cool way. Also the episode where Apocalypse was spreading a virus that affected "normal" people which was blamed on mutants by the Nazi paramilitary dorks was great.

X-Men owns and I can't wait for idot chuds to complain about them going woke.

They've already freaked out about Morph being nonbinary.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I've been watching the old cartoon with my kid and how does storm make her uniform appear by shooting herself with lightning? I was fine with that in the pilot episode since pilots are about figuring stuff out, but she does it later too. I know her powers are crazy but I didn't think weather control involved magically making silver pants too

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sega 32X posted:

I've been watching the old cartoon with my kid and how does storm make her uniform appear by shooting herself with lightning? I was fine with that in the pilot episode since pilots are about figuring stuff out, but she does it later too. I know her powers are crazy but I didn't think weather control involved magically making silver pants too

In the comics I believe her costume is made of Unstable molecules and her lighting changes it.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Sega 32X posted:

Magical Girls grow up to be Magical Women

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why is Forge alive in 1997 when in this continuity he's actually from the Days of Future Past timeline??

I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They established that he was the leader of X-Factor back in the original show, but never elaborated on how he's still the same age in the future. Though it's the same episode where they introduced Havok and they held off on straight-up revealing he's Cyclops' brother, so they definitely intended to set up some reveals for later.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gavok posted:

they introduced Havok and they held off on straight-up revealing he's Cyclops' brother,
I stared at this for a while because I have a really distinct memory of them flashing back to the famous scene where they're jumping out of the airplane as kids, but I think I'm actually just remembering X-Men Evolution doing that like 50 times

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cyclops was just such a galdang dork and when you find out his laser isn't even a laser it just pushes poo poo around :doh:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why is Forge alive in 1997 when in this continuity he's actually from the Days of Future Past timeline??

I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

haha you're right, we're seeing the setup for days of future past in season 1 and the classic x-men plot "pushing the calendar date of mutant doomsday forward a couple decades."

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gavok posted:

They established that he was the leader of X-Factor back in the original show, but never elaborated on how he's still the same age in the future. Though it's the same episode where they introduced Havok and they held off on straight-up revealing he's Cyclops' brother, so they definitely intended to set up some reveals for later.

Yes, I remember now.

I don't remember the Magneto/Rogue romance ever being hinted at in the OG show, but I know it was a thing in Age of Apocalypse. From what I remember, Rogue had secret feelings for Cyclops.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Forge's hair is also grey or greying or something in the Days of Future Past episode.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Smugworth posted:

Cyclops was just such a galdang dork and when you find out his laser isn't even a laser it just pushes poo poo around :doh:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

thin blue whine posted:

Forge's hair is also grey or greying or something in the Days of Future Past episode.

Yeah I just watched those yesterday and he's clearly older there. He's just managed to survive. I did find it pretty funny Bishop is constantly calling Gambit a traitor when he was literally hunting down and selling mutants to death camps 24 hours prior to that. I'm starting to think Bishop is the worst.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cubone posted:

I stared at this for a while because I have a really distinct memory of them flashing back to the famous scene where they're jumping out of the airplane as kids, but I think I'm actually just remembering X-Men Evolution doing that like 50 times

I think they did include that. It was just Corsair explaining to Cyclops how he got abducted by aliens and became Dad Star-Lord.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The most interesting thing about this show to me so far is that it's firmly set in the period of time where Wolverine was just the lay about, dead-beat brother-in-law that hung around the house and drank other people's beer all day. He never solves any of the X-Men's problems and rarely has meaningful input on whatever topic they are discussing. At best he is more like a guard dog that keeps an eye on the mansion and the younger X-Men while the adults are away.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Vakal posted:

The most interesting thing about this show to me so far is that it's firmly set in the period of time where Wolverine was just the lay about, dead-beat brother-in-law that hung around the house and drank other people's beer all day. He never solves any of the X-Men's problems and rarely has meaningful input on whatever topic they are discussing. At best he is more like a guard dog that keeps an eye on the mansion and the younger X-Men while the adults are away.

exactly. back when Wolverine was ACTUALLY cool.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

thin blue whine posted:

exactly. back when Wolverine was ACTUALLY cool.

Like most things in my life, I blame Hugh Jackman. Following the first X-Men movie in 2000 was when they started to make Wolverine less squat, hairy and dumb and by like 2010 he was firmly the poster boy for the X-Men and the leading member of like half a dozen teams across Marvel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like how they have messy relationship drama compounded by comic book shenanigans and still have people try to act like grown ups and recognise emotions rather than looking for a fight.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
If i had mutant powers i'd never talk about emotions ever again

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

If i had mutant powers i'd never talk about emotions ever again

What if your power was being really good at talking about emotions

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty lol that they spend so much time setting up a big rear end galactic trial for Professor X only for him to nope the gently caress out at the last moment and be all “nooo my x-men” (episode 6 spoilers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm enjoying the show but everything feels quite sudden and out of nowhere. Where is the huge episodes spanning arc? Bam episode 3 and Jean Grey is a clone, bam next episode RIP Gambit, next episode Professor X is alive! Etc