Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Okada vs Kingston 9 12.68%
Jericho vs Hook 0 0%
Swerve vs Butcher 1 1.41%
Deonna and Thunder vs Toni and Toni 2 2.82%
Copeland vs Cage 32 45.07%
Best Friends vs Don Callis Family 1 1.41%
Shibata vs Matthews 1 1.41%
Takeshita vs Romero 1 1.41%
STREET FIGHT 24 33.80%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cope/Christian was so goddamn satisfying. Christian has been a textbook-perfect awful heel for months and his title reign ends with his goons handcuffed to the ringposts watching him get kicked in the balls multiple times and ultimately quit/lose because he is a coward. Just incredible catharsis that you don't often get from wrestling due to egos/injuries/bookers missing the peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

xbilkis posted:

I feel like Mercedes/Stat simultaneous heel turns on Willow to form a new unit with Stoke as mouthpiece is the ideal way for things to shake out.

I dunno if they have the guts to bring in Mercedes as a face-of-the-company figure and then immediately turn her heel though; feels like we’re going to get a Punk thing of her playing against optimal type for a while

Eh, presenting Mercedes as a heel right now is uphill booking that AEW doesn't need.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tato posted:

Hobbs beat Jericho the same way and it launched him to the superstardom he enjoys today

Is that Jericho's fault though? TK's the one who didn't follow up fast enough on Hobbs or Starks.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I watched the Danhausen/Cardona match and it was fine. Cardona isn't particularly good once the bell rings either, so it was a lot of character work on both sides but the crowd ate it up. I dunno, Danhausen is fun but at this point his character doesn't easily lend itself to being a guy who does wrestling matches, so it makes sense that the workrate company isn't sure what to do with him if he doesn't want to be a manager.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Meagles posted:

if Danhausen completely leaned into the Homer in a mumu gimmick and gained 250lbs I would have to cheer for him

Every wrestler needs to be at least 200 pounds heavier than they are right now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

xbilkis posted:

The Danhausen situation "to me" seems like a combination of Tony not really getting Danhausen/caring enough about him to actively come up with plans for him, and Danhausen not being clever/funny/talented enough to carve out a space for himself in the face of the challenges of translating a goofy indies gimmick to weekly TV.

Like I don't think the current Orange Cassidy character is what that dude had in mind for himself when he joined AEW, but he's a really really really good wrestler and he seems to have a sharp mind so he was able to make it work. That unfortunately does not seem to be an option for Danhausen so if he's not willing to embrace being a manager type who occasionally disappears from TV then I dunno man

Orange also wanted to evolve his character and I'm not sure Danhausen wants that.

One would think the easiest solution here is to put Danhausen in matches/low-stakes programs with midcard guys until the audience either gets sick of him or demands more of him, but he might get shoved back down to ROH which is kinda the same thing.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Danhausen should feud with Jeff Jarrett over the Texas Chainsaw Massacre belt.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: Also lol at trying to dunk on Kenny Omega with the theater kid jab, I see you.

All wrestlers are theatre kids. Kenny and Danhausen just aren't in denial about it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

On a totally different subject, it's been a week and I'm still thinking about the Cage/Copeland blowoff :allears: Cope hit him right in the balls. Over and over. Those two old men took some crazy bumps.

My one knock is I wish Bryce had kept the mic closer to Christian when he tried to fire off one last "Go gently caress yourself" but it's a small thing in a match that really was so much fun.

It's been awesome seeing Copeland adapt to this new environment with such a fun feud and I'm definitely thinking he'll have a short reign that'll build to a Garcia rematch where Garcia takes the title. In the meantime I'm looking forward to more fun open challenges. Maybe Anthony Ogogo, Nick Comoroto, or Brian Cage, and then toss in some crazier stuff like you did with Suzuki and we're cooking. As long as the challengers get mic time and shine in the ring like the last Cope Open run I think we're in for a fun few weeks.

Cope has been having so much fun in AEW so far and it's been really great seeing him adjust to AEW's unwalled garden like he has. And I wasn't someone who really bought into his act in WWE, either.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

projecthalaxy posted:

Remember that we got Edge vs Minoru Suzuki on tv lol just like, for fun

The look on Cope's face the first time Suzuki hit him justified that booking on its own.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Answers Me posted:

Isn’t Danhausen supposed to be a pretty good wrestler who leant into the gimmick because ‘guy who wrestles good’ wasn’t getting him anywhere?

I always thought they’d do an ‘oh poo poo, this weirdo can actually go in the ring’ routine after he debuted, but that never even came close to happening

He's decent, but this isn't an Orange Cassidy situation by any means.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Alan_Shore posted:

BBT rarely drops the ball, but clearly he had no idea what to do with the UK. Going from that massive reaction from the MJF betrayal to... whatever this is. Cole doesn't even get much of a reaction now. I know he's still injured, but after ALL that Devil build up it's been completely underwhelming, and hell I like Roddy, Mr Wardlow and Matt. Taven.

Feels like maybe they should have savaged Joe immediately? Run roughshod? I dunno, done... something?

I think being asked to buy Roddy/the Kingdom as serious rear end-kicking heels after months of them being hilarious geeks was too much. Roddy can kind of make it work because of how he wrestles but the Kingdom are dweebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Alan_Shore posted:

I think Taven launching himself through that table really helped though

It did but Mike Bennett and at this point Wardlow are geeks, and honestly Adam Cole is kind of a geek too at this point.