Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
tl;dr: I need 8" tubes up to 10' long for wrasslin mats, and boy howdy are they loving hard to find.

I have no clue where to ask this question so I'm starting here. My boys got into wrestling, so I'm trying to help out with some of their equipment. We have the 'classic' mats that are loving huge, heavy and they really need tubes to help support them so they don't fall flat and tear and other poo poo. I'm looking for tubes of some sort (cardboard probably, PVC less probably), 8" in diameter, walls 1/8th of an inch thick (1/4 would be nice, but the price difference is stupid), and up to 10' long. That's feet, not inches. There's 2 5' mats (which the tube can be cut) and 3 10' mats. Problem is I don't know where the hell to find them or really a good place to start looking. I can get some off of Amazon, but they're usually in packs of 10, and we don't need that many. I've hit up some other companies (Yazoo mills makes the nice 1/4" thick ones, but the price goes from $50 for a 48" to $100 for a 60"), and of course anything custom is $$$$. I've also looked at other non-amazon sites, and I can get singles for $50 or so, but that doesn't include the $50 in shipping.

So, it's an odd request, but I'm not sure if there are other places I could look to see if they'd sell something to me more locally that I could pick up. I doubt the printing shops would have something like that, but is there anywhere else I could possibly inquire? I'm central NC (So any major central NC metro is a viable solution generally). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

https://www.uline.com/BL_3704/Jumbo-Kraft-Tubes or some concrete forms taped together? I think you're going to have trouble sourcing a 10' long, ⅛" thick cardboard tube cause it's ridiculous to ship and going to disintegrate after one use if not sooner, a bit of packing tape holding the middle together won't make it meaningfully structurally worse

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 22, 2024

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

https://www.uline.com/BL_3704/Jumbo-Kraft-Tubes or some concrete forms taped together? I think you're going to have trouble sourcing a 10' long, ⅛" thick cardboard tube cause it's ridiculous to ship and going to disintegrate after one use if not sooner, a bit of packing tape holding the middle together won't make it meaningfully structurally worse

Unfortunately, those immediately run into the issue of "too many" (can only get in packs of 10).

This is a pretty niche specialty item, and it looks like I'm not going to get them without paying the niche specialty price. It'd be nice If I could find somewhere that had them semi-locally in stock so I could just pick them up, but I keep hitting walls with it.

As for the disintegrating, they won't be outside, and they won't be put under any meaningful pressure at any given time, it's just there to support the mats so they stay round and don't flatten when stored.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
So, I've actually sourced exactly what you need. Hit up your local carpet store. They'll either give you or sell you their emptied carpet tubes.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Mintymenman posted:

So, I've actually sourced exactly what you need. Hit up your local carpet store. They'll either give you or sell you their emptied carpet tubes.

I would have never thought about that. Thank you!