Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

NYT posted:

The federal government’s aggressive crackdown on Big Tech expanded on Thursday to include an antitrust lawsuit by the Justice Department against Apple, one of the world’s best-known and most valuable companies.

The department joined 16 states and the District of Columbia to file a significant challenge to the reach and influence of Apple, arguing in an 88-page lawsuit that the company had violated antitrust laws with practices that were intended to keep customers reliant on their iPhones and less likely to switch to a competing device. The tech giant prevented other companies from offering applications that compete with Apple products like its digital wallet, which could diminish the value of the iPhone, and hurts consumers and smaller companies that compete with it, the government said.

The Justice Department’s lawsuit is seeking to put an end to those practices. The government even has the right to ask for a breakup of the Silicon Valley icon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/technology/apple-doj-lawsuit-antitrust.html

DOJ posted:

In addition to degrading the quality of third-party messaging apps, Apple affirmatively undermines the quality of rival smartphones. For example, if an iPhone user messages a non-iPhone user in Apple Messages—the default messaging app on an iPhone—then the text appears to the iPhone user as a green bubble and incorporates limited functionality: the conversation is not encrypted, videos are pixelated and grainy, and users cannot edit messages or see typing indicators. This signals to users that rival smartphones are lower quality because the experience of messaging friends and family who do not own iPhones is worse—even though Apple, not the rival smartphone, is the cause of that degraded user experience. Many non-iPhone
users also experience social stigma, exclusion, and blame for “breaking” chats where other participants own iPhones.
This effect is particularly powerful for certain demographics, like teenagers—where the iPhone’s share is 85 percent, according to one survey. This social pressure reinforces switching costs and drives users to continue buying iPhones—solidifying Apple’s smartphone dominance not because Apple has made its smartphone better, but because it has made communicating with other smartphones worse.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/media/1344546/dl?inline

Because of the Apple monopoly, Apple users can't buy things like this:

$1,799 smartphone without getting the dreaded green bubble of social stigma.

Or...

DOJ posted:

Smartwatches are an expensive accessory that typically must be paired to a smartphone. Smartwatches that can be paired with different smartphones allow users to retain their investment in a smartwatch when switching phones thereby decreasing the literal cost associated with switching from one smartphone to another, among other things. By suppressing key functions of third-party smartwatches—including the ability to respond to notifications and messages and to maintain consistent connections with the iPhone—Apple has denied users access to high performing smartwatches with preferred styling, better user interfaces and services, or better batteries, and it has harmed smartwatch developers by decreasing their ability to innovate and sell products.

Even invest in a smartwatch with preferred styling...

Have you suffered from green bubble stigma? Or are you an iPhone user that longs for a non-Apple watch? Please share your stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:lmao: what kind of dork gives a poo poo?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TrashMammal posted:

Literally the US DOJ.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
never seen someone so mad that their phone might get better for free

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

about to be a great thread full of important opinions on goons’ favorite brands

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Looking forward to reading all the extremely non partisan articles being typed at this very moment on this subject.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Apple is such a transparently poo poo and overpriced company that is catered to loving morons that I've refused to purchase any of their products for the 47 years I have been alive and I can't imagine how much money I've saved doing this.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
:cry: The other kids at school are so mean about my bubbles :cry:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

brands can be your friends, and brands can be your enemies

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
my iphone 6s worked great for a very long time because i refused to update ios

great phone but gently caress apple

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TrashMammal posted:

brands can be your friends, and brands can be your enemies

Mostly enemies though.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
:cry: I can't buy a $1,799 smartphone because people would be mean .. but I'm not going to pay for overpriced Apple poo poo :cry:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm surprised anyone is trying antitrust practices in this day and age. I thought that was just a European thing.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I didn't read a loving word of that post

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TrashMammal posted:

Dude TELL me less important things than the color of your chat bubble were not devastating to you in high school

That said in high school I probably would have tried to research whether there were any way I could have some third even less appealing color

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

That said in high school I probably would have tried to research whether there were any way I could have some third even less appealing color

Facebook Messenger.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think anyone giving a poo poo what phone someone else owns is a sign you should just find someone better to talk to and spend time with hth

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
brb filing an amicus briefing making the argument that Android users should be shot into the sun so us moneyhavers don't have to suffer the indignity of their poverty greening up our screens

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

apple refused to enshitify as fast as everyone else and the government said nah uh

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Yeah I can't wait for them to rule the app store is a monopoly so a different billionaire gets a higher cut of my money 😭😭

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

let me jailbreak my loving phone

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

while we're at it, why can't i put the epic game store on my nintendo switch and use the ford's microsoft SYNC in my honda?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Green stigma aside I'm interested in the lawsuit and how it turns out and affects phones. Samsung and Apple have been suing each other over things like one-tap-to-call phone number links etc. for decades now, trying to make each little identifiable difference proprietary.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Bad Purchase posted:

while we're at it, why can't i put the epic game store on my nintendo switch and use the ford's microsoft SYNC in my honda?

This but unironically

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nationalize apple, but don't open the ecosystem

best of both worlds

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
more like green bubble sigma :smug:

syntaxfunction posted:

I think anyone giving a poo poo what phone someone else owns is a sign you should just find someone better to talk to and spend time with hth

:hai:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If you try to judge me for my POS phone I will laugh your first world rear end out of Tender Greens.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Das Boo posted:

If you try to judge me for my POS phone I will laugh your first world rear end out of Tender Greens.

Too bad you’ve already been blocked, greenie

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Three Olives posted:

Have you suffered from green bubble stigma? Or are you an iPhone user that longs for a non-Apple watch? Please share your stories.

Some 20 year old poo poo head on my last boat tried to shame me for having a "green bubble" and I had no idea what the gently caress he was talking about and had to have it explained to me in small words.

It does seem that the social stigma is pretty ridiculous around the whole thing. And it kinda sucks that people for whom a smartphone is an enormous purchase are pressured not to get a cheapass android phone that's every bit as good as an iPhone minus maybe a slightly shittier camera.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Das Boo posted:

You'll find that I will successfully judge you

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I'm pressing the launch all nukes button but it's not working.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I switched to apple not because green bubble ligma but because google stopped making the cheap but awesome nexus phones so I figured I may as well try iphone if I have to pay all that money.

It’s fine. I guess some of the apple exclusive features are neat.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

crapple

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
ive never met anyone irl that cares about the blue/green bubble but i guess it makes sense that its kids that do that to bully each other

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ive never met anyone irl that cares about the blue/green bubble but i guess it makes sense that its kids that do that to bully each other

I care in that I have a galaxy s8+ and my girlfriend has a 4 year old iphone and all the videos of our cat she sends me look like fuckin buffering realplayer videos on purpose

Outside that nah

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Its so stupid its smart - Apple does a lot of really lovely anti-competitive stuff to make all of their accessories work :airquote: better :airquote: with Apple products or shittier with Android products, like the H2 chip in Airpods Pro for example.

But yeah focus on iMessage, because there's a published standard for that poo poo and Apple doesnt care

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Bad Purchase posted:

apple refused to enshitify as fast as everyone else and the government said nah uh

Hard to enshittify what already sucked to begin with :cool:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
apple also wants to force car manufacturers to give them 100% control of all screens and sensors in vehicles

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1770835262479765678?t=h7O2lU1Ver1cJiTNTTTy7A&s=19

kind of amazing seeing anyone treat this antitrust suit as anything but the first good tech news in years. brand love run deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
everything in america is a scam. including the department of just us