Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the recent behind the bastards about steve jobs was pretty good. i didnt know he smelled awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
*intercom buzzes*

Nom epique to GBS
Nom epique to GBS

*click*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also

Green
Bubble
Stigma

:thunk:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

BasicLich posted:

my iphone 6s worked great for a very long time because i refused to update ios

great phone but gently caress apple

I’m using my 6s right now. Still works fine and I got it as a hand-me-down in the first place so it was free to me. Apple sucks tho

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

*intercom buzzes*

Nom epique to GBS
Nom epique to GBS

*click*

buzzing much?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

just use whatsapp

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

buzzing much?

Always

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

kind of amazing seeing anyone treat this antitrust suit as anything but the first good tech news in years. brand love run deep

it’s not good news because the lawsuit will fail because it’s extremely obvious why the government won’t be able to prove apple has anything resembling unfair market power in the areas enumerated in the claim.

it only works if the market is narrowed by definition to only apple devices and services. i mean yeah, it would be great if by some miracle the court allows that logic to fly and in one swoop destroys every rent seeking US corporation that operates a proprietary platform (death to all of them :d2a:), but it won’t happen.

antitrust is wasted effort and won’t actually solve the core problems which extend beyond any single corporation. if biden wants to make the situation better, he should start by getting his party behind legislated interoperable communication standards which is something well within the federal government’s existing powers, and probably they could also establish standardized fees and rules for platform access.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
antitrust suits in the US are a loving joke. the idea of the government taking a corporation or even a wealthy individual to task is laughable

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

don’t say that, remember how we got microsoft to stop bundling their web browser with windows? a great and lasting success.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

apple also wants to force car manufacturers to give them 100% control of all screens and sensors in vehicles

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1770835262479765678?t=h7O2lU1Ver1cJiTNTTTy7A&s=19

kind of amazing seeing anyone treat this antitrust suit as anything but the first good tech news in years. brand love run deep

Worf posted:

Yeah I can't wait for them to rule the app store is a monopoly so a different billionaire gets a higher cut of my money 😭😭

GM was probably upset that apple's privacy settings were in effect lmao

bbbbbut WE wanted to monetize our customers exact whereabouts harder :((((

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 22, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
anyone buying the trump IPO?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

kntfkr posted:

the recent behind the bastards about steve jobs was pretty good. i didnt know he smelled awful

His vile smell was the only thing I knew about him except the general "he was an rear end in a top hat" sentiment. Those episodes were really enlightening.

Truly he was one of the few people in the world who deserved to die painfully of cancer.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
green bubble sugma

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bossy lady posted:

His vile smell was the only thing I knew about him except the general "he was an rear end in a top hat" sentiment. Those episodes were really enlightening.

Truly he was one of the few people in the world who deserved to die painfully of cancer.

he also worked at apple

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If there is one thing I have learned from the 21st century it is that if you are just absolutely, undeniably, unquestionably the shittiest loving person around, people will throw themselves at your feet and worship everything you ever do

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it never fails: hold the "el problema es el capitalismo" card high, then slam it down on the table so hard you gently caress up whatever game you were playing and your friends get mad

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

AARD VARKMAN posted:

apple also wants to force car manufacturers to give them 100% control of all screens and sensors in vehicles

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1770835262479765678?t=h7O2lU1Ver1cJiTNTTTy7A&s=19

Tim Apple is saving you from the worst developers in the world and you’re complaining about it?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I love my car stereo OS

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

1. Carplay is awesome.
2. I don't think they are forcing the next gen Carplay on anyone, the car makers hate making infotainment systems, most car makers haven't even committed to it, and it's always been optional. If your car has Carplay, you don't have to enable it, it will work fine as a regular BT profile for calls and music.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Can we just legislate that apple users can't do those stupid reactions if they're talking to a greenbubbler? Or make a way you can just block that poo poo?

It's absolutely obnoxious to finish up a text convo and suddenly get a text that reads "So and so loved (full text of message here)". Either loving actually react to what I say with a real reply, or just gently caress off, I do not need the anxiety of a random notification after a conversation is clearly over.

I keep my actual text notifications on because family needs a real way to get my attention, and holy poo poo are the ones using Apple products abusing the privilege. It doesn't make me want an Apple product, it makes me resent their existence.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Can we just legislate that apple users can't do those stupid reactions if they're talking to a greenbubbler? Or make a way you can just block that poo poo?

It's absolutely obnoxious to finish up a text convo and suddenly get a text that reads "So and so loved (full text of message here)". Either loving actually react to what I say with a real reply, or just gently caress off, I do not need the anxiety of a random notification after a conversation is clearly over.

I keep my actual text notifications on because family needs a real way to get my attention, and holy poo poo are the ones using Apple products abusing the privilege. It doesn't make me want an Apple product, it makes me resent their existence.

Sounds like you need an Apple Watch.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Legit tho finding out an apparently significant amount of people who use basically group SMS in America is loving wild. I didn't even know this 'issue' existed still because I have not met anyone at all who has mentioned it in the last, like, many years.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the main alternative to texting is using a facebook chat app, not really sure there’s much moral high ground to be found because americans prefer to message via their carrier rather than through zuck

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's not a moral high ground thing, I just thought it was a solved problem. And also that it's still really weird that people care what device someone is typing "lol butts" on.

Also it seems that there's a huge debate about "just remove the icon" and lots of people are pro-icon and others are anti-icon and I'll be honest this thread seems surreal a bit but I might just be having a stroke.

Edit: I do not like that everyone here wants to use either Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp or loving Instagram or Snapchat to talk on. What bullshit loving options are these they're terrible.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

x, the everything app, solves this

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/technology/apple-doj-lawsuit-antitrust.html

https://www.justice.gov/opa/media/1344546/dl?inline

Because of the Apple monopoly, Apple users can't buy things like this:

$1,799 smartphone without getting the dreaded green bubble of social stigma.

Or...

Even invest in a smartwatch with preferred styling...

Have you suffered from green bubble stigma? Or are you an iPhone user that longs for a non-Apple watch? Please share your stories.

3 olives plese tell us you story? How did this gently caress up your day?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jelly posted:

Apple is such a transparently poo poo and overpriced company that is catered to loving morons that I've refused to purchase any of their products for the 47 years I have been alive and I can't imagine how much money I've saved doing this.

holy poo poo I can't even comprehend being this cool

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
This is fail

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

what is fail about it nom epique

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just surprised to hear that people are still talking about what phones people have. I don't think I've heard anyone talk about phones outside when their one breaks, and/or when someones looking for a new one. Mobiles are just such a mundane thing now days, and there's usually so little differences between them.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we've simply moved on to talking about people talking about cell phones

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my phone is 7 and it's gonna be 10 before I think about replacing it! save the battery pillowing, fuckin thing has had a broken USB-C port and only charges wirelessly going on 5 years

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just pay bestbuy to do a battery replacement for $50 once every 3 years or so. it's not too bad to do it yourself but i trust the best buy supply chain slightly more than ali express.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DicktheCat posted:

My family are all iPhoners, over the last year of updates it's gone from a wall of "*SIL* loved an image" to reactions from imessage working correctly 95% of the time, then glitching and going back to "*Fiance* loved an image" sneaking in every once in awhile.

It's super weird.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

"X loved (what I just said)" followed by a HD video downscaled to 200x320
because I didn't buy an apple phone because I am not a part of their ecosystem and never will be

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bad Purchase posted:

don’t say that, remember how we got microsoft to stop bundling their web browser with windows? a great and lasting success.

Microsoft, famous in TYOOL 2024 for having a monopoly on internet browsing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Google kept sending me to articles from Business Men that vaguely implied the Microsoft antitrust as not having affected anything, but not going in to what it actually did, so I had to read the actual ruling.

Specifically, the final settlement stopped Microsoft from contractually obligating OEMs to only install and advertise Internet Explorer, and other Microsoft software, on the Windows based machines they manufactured.

They also required Microsoft to reveal the APIs by which IE interacted with Windows, so no hidden stuff in Windows to make IE artificially faster than other browsers

So while it didn't kill them bundling IE in Windows, it does look like it may have made other browsers viable at all

E: additionally required the ability to uninstall their software, and required the ability to set the default browser/software used by Windows processes

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 23, 2024

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

They should leave apple alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

The sad day will come when tim is no longer ceo and all the handpick steve guys are gone and apple is just another garbage company but that day is not today and apple makes amazing products