Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the Crystal Braves you encounter vary between good guys who look the other way and soldiers absolutely terrified of the WoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I know there's cut content related to Eulmore, but I can't discuss that until later.

Is that a certain character's entire backstory that got filled in via a short story and Encyclopedia Eorzea 3? I thought the stuff related to That Guy really should have been in the darn game, even more so than the stuff The Hunt Begins tells us about Zenos.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

You know, I was working on the next chapter tonight, and it occurred to me that for all I've already written, we're STILL in the story's introduction. The MSQ quests haven't even ticked up to 71 yet, and in terms of structure it's very clear that the events I'm going to discuss next time are "the end of the beginning," so to speak. It's kind of wild how dense these two intro areas have really been compared to the last two expansions. If we take the fall of Rhalgr's Reach and the meeting with the Archbishop as the similar "end of chapter 1" points, there's a lot more STUFF in Shadowbringers by comparison. That'll probably be worth reflecting on in the next outing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Part of that's just a direct design response to Stormblood's rocky launch: they deliberately extended the split intro segments as a countermeasure to people running straight into another instance server chokepoint at the beginning of the expansion. They'd also invested in extra infrastructure - it's possible they went a bit further than strictly necessary, all told, but it was very much "better safe than sorry" because they know players have memories for these sorts of problems.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

As you get higher in levels (hell, by the time you hit 50, I'd say) the pacing of the story drifts pretty far from the expected player level. Most of MSQ content is talking, exploring, cutscenes, with the only major combat sections being level synced, so it's not exactly a problem, just a thorn inside the head of people still in the mindset of old WoW and similar where once you hit a certain level, you're expected to leave your current zone and start quests in the next one.

Usually, I'll finish the MSQ for an expansion with at least 3 jobs near max level, which is actually great when the Role Quests in ShB and beyond have impact on the story, and I really want to get to all of them sooner rather than later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think the fact that they're painting an entire world is another factor. Stormblood sends us to a few places in Ala Mhigo to talk about the area's backstory but they're all pretty similar visually and setting up in Castrum Oriens (I think that's the right one), meeting the Resistance in Rhalgr's Reach and talking to the beaten-down miners in Ala Ghanna are all different points on the same plot thread. Shadowbringers starts us at the Crystarium and then while it, Journey's Head and Eulmore are all talking about the world dealing with... not so much post-Apocalypse as Apocalypse slowed... they all go in different directions about how they approach it and are in areas that look very different with their own backstory to explore. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of content is similar to Stormblood but the variety of it makes it feel fuller.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I do find it kind of funny that you've already planted the seed of "Why will Kheris go and get one of the new jobs this time?" before we've even touched your run of the first dungeon. :allears:

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I do find it kind of funny that you've already planted the seed of "Why will Kheris go and get one of the new jobs this time?" before we've even touched your run of the first dungeon. :allears:

???

EDIT: Oh, Dancer.

dyslexicfaser fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 28, 2024

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I think the fact that they're painting an entire world is another factor. Stormblood sends us to a few places in Ala Mhigo to talk about the area's backstory but they're all pretty similar visually and setting up in Castrum Oriens (I think that's the right one), meeting the Resistance in Rhalgr's Reach and talking to the beaten-down miners in Ala Ghanna are all different points on the same plot thread. Shadowbringers starts us at the Crystarium and then while it, Journey's Head and Eulmore are all talking about the world dealing with... not so much post-Apocalypse as Apocalypse slowed... they all go in different directions about how they approach it and are in areas that look very different with their own backstory to explore. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of content is similar to Stormblood but the variety of it makes it feel fuller.

I'm always slightly surprised when I think about Stormblood and remember that by the first dungeon you've already left Ala Mhigo. There's a fair chunk of stuff before it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

What, you think I was going to miss an obvious lead-in like the MSQ forcing her to get up on stage with no training?! I'm a professional!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
"I'm seeing a lot of grain be unharvested. Perhaps theres a way I can help them Reap?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Perhaps next thread, but not today

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Wrestlepig posted:

"I'm seeing a lot of grain be unharvested. Perhaps theres a way I can help them Reap?"

Clearly her training as a Sage will be inspired by some nerd in a Gundam crashing through the dimensional barrier to show her how cool Funnels are.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Clearly her training as a Sage will be inspired by some nerd in a Gundam crashing through the dimensional barrier to show her how cool Funnels are.

It's spelled "Funkos" though.

Kidding aside, can't wait to see Kheris pick up the exploding sword technique and commit violence on some long-range weaponry.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Hogama posted:

Meanwhile in the Derelicts:

Roommates.

Final Fantasy XIV: Sapphicbringers

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Welcome to Sapphicbringers!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

gtrmp posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: Sapphicbringers

Don't think I missed when the red clown turned around and smiled at Kheris. It was the blue clown that called her a useless parasite, so clearly I CAN FIX HER!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sanguinia posted:

Don't think we haven't seen that gap of Leatherworker missing.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Sanguinia posted:

Don't think I missed when the red clown turned around and smiled at Kheris. It was the blue clown that called her a useless parasite, so clearly I CAN FIX HER!

Red clown at night, catgirl's delight. wait no

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Maybe the blue clown is just a tsundere.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Welp, now the blue one is gonna fall for one of Kheris's allies.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…now there’s a thought: what if they’re the twins’ AU counterparts?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure if they're meant to be twins. Then again, they're based on Zorn and Thorn, who are twins.

I'm of the belief that sometimes a clown is just a clown.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

snohax
May 30, 2011

Sanguinia will bamboozle us all when this turns out to be a lead-in to Blue Mage. The other job released around Shadowbringers which is themed after being a performer.

I've never made this connection before, but I'm now choosing to believe it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I definitely think Eulmore's concept changed during development from what we saw in the CG intro. From literal Fat Cats partying to Doomsday cult

Just kind of an invitable consequence of CG animation having to be done well before the game itself is ready.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr Pepper posted:

I definitely think Eulmore's concept changed during development from what we saw in the CG intro. From literal Fat Cats partying to Doomsday cult

Just kind of an invitable consequence of CG animation having to be done well before the game itself is ready.

I don't think so because the partying is still happening. There's nothing really in that cutscene that's not happening already. It just didn't have Vauthry in it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I still think Red & Blue are Cid & Nero.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I always assumed the red and blue jesters were supposed to be an analogue to the red and blue guards of Varis.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

I still think Red & Blue are Cid & Nero.

Naaaaah. They're analogues of Biggs and Wedge, clearly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Urgh, never gonna live that one down...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Question for Sang, will you be doing the Shadowbringers dungeons with Trusts or with live players? There's bits of incidental dialogue scattered throughout the dungeons if you do Trusts but they are noticeably slower than duty finder.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kwyndig posted:

Question for Sang, will you be doing the Shadowbringers dungeons with Trusts or with live players? There's bits of incidental dialogue scattered throughout the dungeons if you do Trusts but they are noticeably slower than duty finder.

I sincerely do not think the speed at which dungeons happen matters to Sang, the Trusts are an intended part of the experience that add to the story.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always do a new dungeon with the Duty Supports the first time since it feels story-appropriate. Especially for ShB on since that's when they added the system.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Same here and also, I am frequently very bad at this game so having Trust members who know the mechanics and that I can follow is massively helpful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Trusts being slow (my own pace) is genuinely a feature not an issue because it means I get to enjoy my first time through a dungeon properly.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm guessing Sang is using trusts as she seems to like to go through the dungeon slowly and take notes while doing it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also I went and checked and Sang was using trusts by the end of Stormblood once they were available, so yeah I'm pretty sure the Trusts will continue.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Kwyndig posted:

I've been using the Duty Support system (which are apparently not Trusts yet since that's a thing on my menues that is still greyed out) rather than getting groups, yes. Once I tried it with the story NPCs at the end of Stormblood rather than the generics they used for ARR, I was hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The difference between Duty Support and Trusts is that aside from guest characters Trusts have their own level like Squadron members. But you don't need to level Trusts, it's just an optional thing for achievements.