Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It's that time of year again, the NFL Draft. According to some GMs, the draft is the only legal way to add talent to your team, as free agency is a den of trickery and greed into which no honest man should step. But I think we can all agree that it's a fun way to show off your player evaluation skills. And with that, welcome to the 2024 Goon Draft!

The Rules
:siren:PLEASE READ THE RULES WHY WOULD YOU SIGN UP FOR THIS AND NOT READ THE RULES:siren:

Each team will have one poster as its GM, responsible for making the picks (which, for the sake of easy tracking, will be posted in a separate thread once the draft commences). Teams are first come first serve. War rooms are fine, so long as there is a designated spokesperson. The clock on each pick is 24 hours, at which point if the spokesperson has not made a pick I will make one for them.No trades will be allowed, as they just tend to complicate things and previous drafts have run much more efficiently without them. If you just want to take part and don’t care which team you get, post and I’ll assign you to a team that might not have any other takers (probably be a few this year). The goal is to start by April 1, but we'll start earlier if all the teams are claimed.

Round 1

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina) trevorreznik
2) Washington Commanders Relentlessboredomm
3) New England Patriots Anderson Koopa
4) Arizona Cardinals Kevino07
5) Los Angeles Chargers a neat cape
6) New York Giants Ornery and Hornery
7) Tennessee Titans Bismack Billabongo
8) Atlanta Falcons Sad King Billy
9) Chicago Bears trevorreznik
10) New York Jets Professor Funk
11) Minnesota Vikings Darth Brooks
12) Denver Broncos 3 DONG HORSE
13) Las Vegas Raiders Black Sunshine
14) New Orleans Saints Eltoasto
15) Indianapolis Colts ShakeZula
16) Seattle Seahawks EmbryoSteve
17) Jacksonville Jaguars Amy Pole Her
18) Cincinnati Bengals a patagonian cavy
19) Los Angeles Rams Play
20) Pittsburgh Steelers Perry the Platypus
21) Miami Dolphins Hamhandler
22) Philadelphia Eagles Quiet Feet
23) Minnesota Vikings (from Cleveland through Houston) Darth Brooks
24) Dallas Cowboys xbilkis
25) Green Bay Packers A Sneaker Broker
26) Tampa Bay Buccaneers wandler20
27) Arizona Cardinals (from Houston) Kevino07
28) Buffalo Bills fsif
29) Detroit Lions Hizawk
30) Baltimore Ravens Solarjetman
31) San Francisco 49ers Grozz Nuy
32) Kansas City Chiefs No Butt Stuff

No first rounder:
Houston Texans Sad King Billy
Carolina Panthers IcePhoenix
Cleveland Browns Cavauro

Go ahead and claim your team!

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Please give me priority for whatever team doesn’t have a taker! Any orphan team will do. Heck I’d happily do any of the teams without a first. I’d even do Atlanta or Arizona. Whatever team is left :)

I love the Seahawks but I want a different seattle goon to have a chance. I did Seattle the last two years I think.

You got it

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

trevorreznik posted:

Bears please

This year I won't forget about making a pick I swear

Well the guy who picked them last year got banned apparently, so let's hope not!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

On the one hand, Cavauro is a known scofflaw who actively roots for a division rival of the team he's selected.

On the other hand, do the Ravens deserve better if no one else claims them?

Incidentally, since we're aiming to start this thing on Monday, I'll give it another day or two and then assign teams to the people who are undeclared. If you're picking for a team already and are willing to handle a second as well, let me know and that would be helpful.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Anderson Koopa posted:

This sounds like it might be fun. I'm open to trying it. I'll take an unclaimed team if one is available.

If no one else wants it, I have a slight preference for the Patriots.

Pats are all yours, as they usually end up going unclaimed

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Alright, I'll be posting the picks thread sometime tomorrow, with the intent still being to start things off on Monday.

For those of you who offered to pick for an unclaimed teams, I have assigned them as follows:

Ornery and Hornery - Giants
xbilkis - Cowboys
Solarjetman - Ravens
Sad King Billy - Falcons
Cavauro - Browns

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Panthers are as yet unclaimed, but I figured we can cross that bridge when we come to it. Worst case I'll just pick for them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Picks thread is now live, trevorreznik and the Bears are on the clock.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I think you made a fine choice

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wow, at this rate we're on track for the entire first round to be quarterbacks!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah 3 is always my goal, and if we get through that anything else is gravy

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

drat, three WRs in the top 5 is crazy

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

JJ McCarthy just wins games, and that trend generally continues in the NFL

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Anderson Koopa posted:

Anyone have last year's goon mock draft? I'm kind of curious how accurate we will be as a collective.

Here are the picks threads from the last couple of years:

There's some built-in error just because of no trades, but I think we generally get the broad strokes pretty close.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Play posted:

Huh I could've sworn I did 2021 as well, guess not. Maybe I did 2020 and 2022.

Some embarrassing misses on there for me tbh. Best pick was probably getting Zach Tom at pick 79, and I did grab Sauce Gardner real high up and Alec Pierce in the second which I'm kind of okay with. zimbomonkey taking CJ Stroud for the Panthers at first overall is a tantalizing what-if and basically proves him a better talent evaluator than the Panthers themselves.

Still, it's actually cool to see these, bit of a reality check to be honest at how many players end up doing just about nothing in the NFL. Either out of the league, or in the league but just have barely played or haven't played well. Some guys names I don't even recognize.

Sadly nobody claimed the Rams in 2020, but you did pick for them in 2019. And you took Jeffery Simmons with the 31st pick, which in hindsight was pretty smart!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Don't look at me, we're about halfway through the Saints' time

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Meanwhile the CB value was simply too enticing for me to pass up, especially since Indy's only veteran DB is a slot corner

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

YOU BASTARD COLTS I KNEW IT. I knew you were going to do that to me 😡

Edit lol that’s why I was asking what the colts were doing. I realize now how confusing that is out of context. So close to the Jaguars #1 target and I KNEW Indy was my main competition

Draft-sniping a divisional rival is a truly rare and beautiful feeling

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

If nobody actually wants the Panthers I can make picks for them.

They're all yours

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Dolphins coming up on being the first team to miss their pick

Edit: And miss it they did. Dolphins pick will be posted momentarily.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 5, 2024

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

drat, guess I have to put the second round order up pretty soon

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Went ahead and added the second round order to the picks thread OP. Almost time to welcome the Panthers, Texans, and Browns to the party.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hizawk posted:

Literally drafted the Kool Aid man.

Not the best most perfect fit, but it was that or Jackson Powers Johnson.

Thank you for fulfilling the implicit goal of this whole exercise

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I feel like the narrative on Latham has started to shift, and people are lower on him than they used to be

No Butt Stuff posted:

poo poo my turn is so close. Who has that spreadsheet?

Chiefs are drunk drafting tonight.

It's linked in the OP of the picks thread

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

You'll take the guy I saw attributed to the Dolphins in the first mock I found, and you'll like it

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

First round in the books, possibly in record time? I'm too lazy to go back and check, so let's say it was!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

At least in the old days for the Raiders you could just pull up the combine stats, sort by 40 time, and work your way down the list

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I added it, but I refuse to accept that TJ Tampa is a real name

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

We're really cruising, guess I'll have to get the Round 3 order ready pretty soon

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Third round order has been added to the picks thread OP

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

The Vikings have two picks in the first round and then nothing in the second and third. It really is all about who they get at the top of the draft.

Which honesty isn't a bad position if you remove the pressure of having to draft a QB with one of those first-rounders

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Current players and future picks are two of the major reasons I don't include trades as a part of this whole thing, on top of the inevitable delays where people wait for trade offers. Future picks are basically just ephemera since the same people might not be drafting for the teams the next year, and thus have no reason to not just offer their next four full drafts to move up 3 spots, and same deal with current players. I've entertained the idea of allowing trades of picks within a single draft, but ultimately couldn't figure out a reliable way to fix the delay problem and also I'm too lazy to adjust the draft order to reflect those trades in later rounds.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Two full rounds in the books, hell yeah

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Anderson Koopa posted:

Shakezula thank you for hosting this, any chance we can take it to 4 rounds?

I generally consider 3 rounds to be a successful draft, but if we make it through round 3 with time to spare I'm not opposed to keeping it rolling. Round 3 is usually pretty tough though. It's where you get a lot of teams with repeat picks, teams that have no picks, and comp picks that make it longer than the preceding rounds.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'll make the pick for the Raiders in a few minutes if Black Sunshine doesn't

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Honestly I was debating between Bullock and Hall myself, but the Colts real GM seems happy to pay DL and doesn't seem at all interested in paying the secondary, so I felt like the draft was the only route for improvement.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah, it's like I said, the third round is a real gauntlet for a variety of reasons. We'd have to finish the third round in the next day or two for it to be really worth going for the fourth in my opinion.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Didn't the Dolphins forfeit a pick for tampering or something?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

You guys are really trying to make me post the Round 4 order, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'll make the Jags pick in a few minutes