Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If you need someone for an unclaimed team I'm down to be assigned one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Virtual Jerry Jones...time to tap into the mindset of an old pervert...

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was thinking about taking Jenkins or another DT but everything I read about the second tier DTs was sooooo underwhelming. Like, the Jenkins writeup in The Beast (which has him as the #36 overall prospect!) is all "Well, he's not that big, had unremarkable stats in college, doesn't handle double teams particularly well, doesn't have an advanced pass rush game, and he might not ever have good production in the NFL, but he's got a good motor and an NFL pedigree and he generally knows what he's supposed to be doing"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah I guess that's a situation where it helps to know more about the team you're picking for than a vague sense that they need a DT

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This fake draft has taught me that the Cowboys are in a wild position. They're ostensibly in win-now mode for the next year, but they're going into the draft lacking starters at LT, C, RB and LB, plus they could really use depth at DT and WR, and they've only got three picks in the top 170. I honestly don't know how they expect to be meaningfully competitive in 2024-25, but still, I went into the draft trying to prioritize guys who could contribute right away at positions of need (without reaching too hard, considering the team might get blown up by next offseason).

Here's how that played out:

24. Graham Barton, OL, Duke

My understanding is that the real Cowboys are reluctant to move Tyler Smith from LG to LT considering how well he's played at guard, but I didn't see anyone on the board who I was confident could slot in as a day-one LT. I had Barton as the BPA at this point, and my thought was that he'd most likely slot in at C while Smith kicks over to LT and either TJ Bass or an as-of-yet-unsigned free agent plays LG.

56. Jordan Morgan, OL, Arizona

I did not expect to draft another lineman here, but Morgan was too good a value to pass on. With him on board, the approach to the OL changes — now, between Smith, Barton and Morgan, you've got three guys who could theoretically play inside or outside. I still think the best configuration is probably Smith at LT, Morgan at LG, and Barton at C, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that the latter two could handle the tackle spot. All three guys should get a chance to win the LT job in camp, and adding another body increases the likelihood that you hit on a quality starter there.

87. Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame

At this point in the draft, I figured you're more likely to land an immediate contributor at RB than you are at basically any other position. I like Estimé a lot — he's big, he's explosive on tape, and there are a bunch of analytics that paint him in a real positive light. This would probably ideally be a trade-down spot in real life, and the draftniks might call this "a reach," but I kind of wanted to claim someone as My Guy anyway, so there. Hope I don't look like an idiot if anyone revisits this thread in a couple of years!