Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

This sounds like it might be fun. I'm open to trying it. I'll take an unclaimed team if one is available.

If no one else wants it, I have a slight preference for the Patriots.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Pats are all yours, as they usually end up going unclaimed

Sweet, let's build the team of the future.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I posted in the AFC East thread looking for wisdom.

EDIT: The Patriots Offense is so bad that QB, OT, or WR would have been a defensible selection. The Patriots have two bridge QBs on the roster already and I wasn't one hundred percent convinced that Drake Maye was going to be the answer. That left OL or WR as the choice. I went with MHJ because I had more hope of finding OL later. I liked MHJ's size and his ability to slot in from day one.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

I was worried it would happen because I really wanted Odunze at 9. But when the Pats went WR the dominoes fell fast

Yeah, in a real world scenario trade back would have probably been the best option. The Pats offense has so many holes that we need to plug as many of them as we can. Plus Drake Maye is described as having: prototypical size, ability to make any throw, and questionable decision making. That reminded me a bit of Zach Wilson and I didn't want to repeat that experiment.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone have last year's goon mock draft? I'm kind of curious how accurate we will be as a collective.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Sorry, I apparently really needed sleep, I'll make the Panthers pick in a few minutes

No rush, you still have 18 hours or so on your clock.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I picked a big boy who is 6'4" and 366 pounds and runs a 5.2 in the 40 yard dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNGuS7Xrf7I

Edit: If I was the actual GM, I would probably trade back here. The Patriots need a CB, OT, QB, TE, and a RB. I didn't love any CB or QB enough to go with that position here. I felt like it was too early to start drafting TEs and RBs. The Patriots have an ok DL already, but given the number of WRs, CBs, OTs, and QBs that had been picked already, I wanted to get my hands on a DT to help out on early downs.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 6, 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I assumed you meant an offensive tackle for New England :v: Sweat seems cool and good though as long as he can keep his playing weight under like, 400

We still need an Offensive Tackle, I just liked Sweat there more for our defensive line. Plus the division collectively has some questionable IOL play.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

My 2nd round pick just got arrested for DWI. I should have left him on the board, I could have grabbed him later.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

The Buccaneers should have drafted TJ Tampa :colbert:

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Oh dang Kris is a lot smaller than I thought he was.

How big is he? That's partly why I grabbed Sweat, in retrospect it was probably a reach, but I liked his size.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

The Vikings have two picks in the first round and then nothing in the second and third. It really is all about who they get at the top of the draft.

I think I saw that the Jets and Broncos also don't have a second round pick. Do you think the Vikings will trade back to get more picks?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wanted to go a little further from needs here not even if Wanya pans out I would like to have an option to cut Taylor next year.

That was the guy I wanted :mad:.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Drafting for the Patriots this year has been easy / hard. They have so many needs that I could literally pick anyone. We are going bargain bin / project QB for the foreseeable future. I never buy the argument that a particular QB class is weak or strong, next year they will be coming up with excuses why these QBs are fliers.

I picked Brooks here because I don't want to pay Rhamondre Stevenson an extension necessarily. Tight End and Tackle are still a need, but when a highly projected RB is available, I have to grab them.

If this was real life I would probably be trading back a lot more, but I have to pick someone.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Shakezula thank you for hosting this, any chance we can take it to 4 rounds?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

it was my turn. now it won’t be my turn again for awhile.

I got sniped. I pick again early in the 4 and I wanted him.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I can see why historically the Goon draft was stopped after the 3rd round. By the time you get to the bottom half of the draft it is a lot of random players left.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

It's funny to think that all those "random players" have complete scouting reports on most of the NFL teams, all probably saying wildly different things.

I've heard a lot of special teams players gets picked around here. I think I might be on the clock? The team ahead of me hasn't picked yet.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

So this is my thought process about why I made all of the picks that I did. Thank you to ShakeZula for organizing the Goon draft.

1. (3rd overall) - Marvin Harrison Jr, WR OSU. The Patriots need receiver help, their best receiver is Kendrick Bourne who is coming off of an ACL tear. Hopefully he can return to form. The other WRs have been mostly underwhelming and haven't had a lot of experience. The best one is probably DeMario Douglas. I was scared that Maye would bust in this spot and I didn't think highly enough of McCarthy, Nix, or Penix to go for them here. If I was forced to pick a QB, I liked Penix the best out of this class. I just didn't want to burn a 3rd overall pick on him.

2. (34rd overall) - T'Vondre Sweat, DT Texas. I liked his upside as a possible two gapping nose tackle that is able to control the line of scrimmage and clean things up for the other defensive players. I also picked him because defensive line hadn't really been picked over yet. This was probably a bit of a reach.

3. (68 overall) - Jonathan Brooks, RB Texas. No RBs had been picked yet, I went with one of the more highly rated ones. The Patriots have some RBs, but the prospect of an exciting rookie to help open things up for the offense was too much to pass on.

4. (103 overall) - Joe Milton III, QB Tennessee. He's tall, strong, fast, and has a good arm. He is going to ride the bench year 1 and get a year to develop / acclimate to the NFL. Year 2 he's our starter and we see what we get out of him. Assuming he is successful, we found our QB of the future here. If he isn't good enough to make it as a QB in the NFL he has some athleticism that we can transition him to a different role for years 3 and 4. It's a fourth round pick, so if it doesn't work out it won't set the franchise back too far. Plus look at this spider chart!

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 21, 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

One thing I would have trouble with in the real life draft is NE hitting the fourth round without taking a tackle. Their LT situation is rear end despite multiple failed swings at fixing it. They gotta keep trying. Sweat and Brooks feel like luxury picks a team in their position can't afford

That is true and I was banking on the Patriots hitting on a tackle in the later rounds. If you told me tackle was a priority, I would have gone for that early and then gone WR. Sweat was a vanity pick who reminded me a lot of Vince Wilfork. My favoritw of the OTs was picked right before my 3rd round pick. I picked QB late because I believe that the team needs some additional pieces before a QB would help them.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

EmbryoSteve posted:

Went camping this weekend and by the time I checked my phone while pooping last night yall already picked. Didn't expect the picks to be made so fast

I hope you had a good time camping and / or pooping. I think everyone had a pretty good draft this year. I was pretty happy with how my picks turned out.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lol sorry man. It was either him or Baker from UCF.

We have 28 picks to go, we are averaging 5 picks per day, the draft is 4 days away. I believe in our ability to finish out round 4!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

wandler20 posted:

The 4th round was a mistake.

I got to pick a possible QB of the future for the Patriots!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone get sniped? No Butt Stuff grabbed Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale right before I was going to draft him.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Play posted:

It's somewhat fun to compare how your picks turned out compared to how the actual draft went. Not in terms of which team but in terms of position. Personally I lost about 11 spots by taking Nate Wiggins at 19, but then gained them all back and then some by taking Legette at 52 when he actually went 32. Therefore I am plus 9.

Later on in the draft it's much easier to gain or lose huge amounts. This is totally pointless since players being taken early or late has no bearing on how good they'll be, but I enjoy it for something to do.

I picked MHJ with the 3rd overall pick and he went 4th.

I picked T'Vondre Sweat with the 34th pick and he went 38th.

My next pick was Jonathan Brooks at #68. He was taken with pick #46.

My 4th round pick was Joe Milton, I have a feeling that I reached here but overall a solid class.

If nothing else it makes me feel better about my attempt to go BPA.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I drafted Joe Milton in the 4rth round of the Goon Draft, the Pats took him in the 6th round.