Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Dysgenesis posted:

Currently just watched episode 2 last night and I described it as a bit up its own arse so far.

Wait for the discussion between the head of whatever secret service it is with the navy admiral and it will be fully UK chat approved.

Boat oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Wait for the discussion between the head of whatever secret service it is with the navy admiral and it will be fully UK chat approved.

Boat oval office

I did laugh at that.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Half a pound is 227g.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

half a pound is 50p moran

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's "a pc", if you count spaces

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Hey Goons from England and those who know about this part of England: My baby sister will be studying at Oxford for at least one semester this fall, and it's her birthday right before she heads out. This seems like a good opportunity to get her a thematic present because she's at an age that she'd pretent to like anything I get her but never wear or use it in public.

Is there a decent guide to Oxford and the surrounding area that would be of interest to a Canadian college girl? She's nerdy, but not geeky so anything Harry Potter is out the window. In fact it really has to be about Oxford specifically since if she goes to London someone else will plan the itinerary, and she studies like crazy (hence Oxford) and I don't see her going on any other daytrips (which is also good because I can't afford to send her on one).

Much appreciation for any input. And it doesn't have to be a guidebook of course. I just figure that's entirely unobjectionable and might be useful.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 16, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

unfortunately oxford is mostly harry potter shops and old buildings

the ashmolean and pitt rivers museums are nice but at a certain point its just a normal city interspersed with old buildings you can look at but probably not go in

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

shed present
a trowel

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I thought of getting her a Wetherspoon's gift card as a useful gag gift but when I brought it up she says no someone took her to one when she was younger and she doesn't plan on going to old man pubs with no music.

Given that it is hard to avoid eating at least once at one of the spots, and mates might drag you out at some point at least once, it may be a good gift if I can bear her annoyence at initially receiving it in return for thanks when she sees its value.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 17, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get some oxford botanic garden paraphrenalia

https://www.obga.ox.ac.uk/shop

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Going to make jacket potatoes tonight, what are everyone's favourite toppings? The classic cheese and beans, the dangerously exotic chili con carne, the seaman's choice with tuna mayo?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
we already did potato chat

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bright Bart posted:

My baby sister will be studying at Oxford for at least one semester this fall, and it's her birthday right before she heads out. This seems like a good opportunity to get her a thematic present because she's at an age that she'd pretent to like anything I get her but never wear or use it in public.

cambridge hoodie

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

we already did potato chat
I wasn't going to have potato for dinner then though

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
in any case cheese and beans always. have had chilli on it but it never compares

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get her a bottle of e. coli from the Thames.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just milk on mine, thanks, no sugar

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Inspector Morse box set

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I passed on the jacket potato for lunch today. Had a panini instead.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

big scary monsters posted:

Going to make jacket potatoes tonight, what are everyone's favourite toppings? The classic cheese and beans, the dangerously exotic chili con carne, the seaman's choice with tuna mayo?

My mum always did grated cheddar with chopped ripe tomatoes and a ton of black pepper, very tasty. Crumbling really crispy bacon or those crunchy onions on top is good too.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

goatface posted:

Get her a bottle of e. coli from the Thames.

the river is actually called the isis in oxford so i recommend googling 'isis gifts' or 'good isis related presents'

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hello everyone, my name is Fargle and I know I don't usually post here but with kind permission of your IK I'm here to do a fundraiser message for the UK Goon Fund, which is normally run out of the UKPOL thread in D&D and the associated Discord.

I'm an elected trustee for the fund (In order to make sure everything is fair and above board we have a committee of five elected members who need to approve any payouts and then a treasurer who actually handles the money separate from us) and in recent months, because of the state of things in the UK generally, we've had a large uptick in our outgoings and unless something changes we're going to have to start turning people away soon.

This graph shows the status for the fund as of March 31st. I'm afraid we don't have one with April included yet:

We've paid out over 1k since March 1st and are currently sitting at a balance of approximately £600 with £165 of that due to be paid out over the next couple of days.

Everyone has been very generous in the past and I'm sorry that we need to ask for more. We've been able to make a tremendous difference for a lot of folks over the past 4 years that we've been operating and we'd very much like to be able to keep it up if you're able to offer any support. Details of how to contact us if you have any questions, need to ask for our help or would like donate, along with our public records are available in the quote below.

Maugrim posted:

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Captain Fargle, Chubby Henparty, Maugrim, or The DPRK.

Thank you for your time.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Good to see you mate, sorry the funds are looking a bit low these days boooo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i would give money if i had any :smith:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i would give money if i had any :smith:

If you need help you can always get in touch. Large requests are being considered on a very careful basis right now for obvious reasons but we're not ever going to poo poo on someone who just needs a hand for trying to find one.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I need a new sex arse, can I get funding?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It would take me a long time to pay back the assistance I recieved from the fund at this rate, but I'm only able to contribute anything at all because I did accept and even asked for help.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bright Bart posted:

I thought of getting her a Wetherspoon's gift card as a useful gag gift but when I brought it up she says no someone took her to one when he was younger and she doesn't plan on going to old man pubs with no music.

well at least she's smart enough to be studying at Oxford

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Buy her a boater to wear to all the secret society parties, she will fit right in.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

mfcrocker posted:

well at least she's smart enough to be studying at Oxford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Captain Fargle posted:

Hello everyone, my name is Fargle and I know I don't usually post here but with kind permission of your IK I'm here to do a fundraiser message for the UK Goon Fund, which is normally run out of the UKPOL thread in D&D and the associated Discord.

I'm an elected trustee for the fund (In order to make sure everything is fair and above board we have a committee of five elected members who need to approve any payouts and then a treasurer who actually handles the money separate from us) and in recent months, because of the state of things in the UK generally, we've had a large uptick in our outgoings and unless something changes we're going to have to start turning people away soon.

This graph shows the status for the fund as of March 31st. I'm afraid we don't have one with April included yet:

We've paid out over 1k since March 1st and are currently sitting at a balance of approximately £600 with £165 of that due to be paid out over the next couple of days.

Everyone has been very generous in the past and I'm sorry that we need to ask for more. We've been able to make a tremendous difference for a lot of folks over the past 4 years that we've been operating and we'd very much like to be able to keep it up if you're able to offer any support. Details of how to contact us if you have any questions, need to ask for our help or would like donate, along with our public records are available in the quote below.

Thank you for your time.

Aye. the UK chat thread in GBS has been "A Thing" for a while. so its very kind of you to make the trip all the way from D&D and out of the blue say "Hi, cash," I'm not in here often, and I deffo dont speak for all UK Chat Thread Goons in GBS, but, (< there, there it is) how about you and your chums spend some time here as a vibe check for both of us before, you know, doing what you just did.
I'm poor af, yet I regularly try to help people out, irl.
how 'bout in future becoming a fixture in all the lovely isles threads so the pre-amble is unneeded?
oh also.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 17, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dang son, take a chill pill.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

your pants are a bit small m8

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Who took the jam out of your doughnut

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
fargle is a mate of mine and I said it was fine lol but sure. subforum tribalism ftw

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Very normal response to a polite request for charity

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I don't think the vibe of this thread includes spitting on those who want to help the poor

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
weird post imo

more power to you with the solidarity fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So sorry if I've ever contributed to a vibe of 'charity can gently caress off'. It was totally unintentional I assure you.

staberind posted:

I deffo dont speak for all UK Chat Thread Goons in GBS

Yeah, you don't.