Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

from what ive picked up nxt started out bad then became good then became bad again, why was that

also general retrospective nxt talk i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

they raided the indies for all the good wrestlers for a bit and then they all went to the main roster + aew started so now they're stuck with failed college athletes and never-weres

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nxt was faux-developmental which meant that if anyone got too big they got called to RAW and repackaged by vince, who didnt watch nxt

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

neoaxd posted:

they raided the indies for all the good wrestlers for a bit and then they all went to the main roster + aew started so now they're stuck with failed college athletes and never-weres

that sucks tbh

Thank you Ohtori Akio for the incredible sig!! 😍

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
effort post beware:

before nxt was actually good it was a weird reality show like sports entertainment variety show where actual developmental wrestlers were called to do talent show/big brother like competitions between wrestling and then would be voted off the show by fans(?). It was funny/bad until it got to just bad and eventually canceled.

Nexus starting point.
first time Daniel Bryan was on WWE TV (kicked off the show because he'd win the polls),
Kaval/Low Ki winning the fan polls over the person WWE wanted to win
Genesis of McGuillicutty.
then them calling an audible that others in ring werent aware of.
A bad Divas Season
then a forever purgatory seasons after Vince/WWE stopped caring about it

It then started back up as actual developmental brand like their old developmental show fcw and wasnt aired anywhere but people could still find the shows online to see:

pre roman reigns "Leakee"
a repackaged Husky Harris doing the Bray Wyatt character
2nd NXT champion Big E Langston (after beating Shield Seth Rollins in his first loss)
Alexander Rusev who was managed by a french man and teaming with
a southern mechanic Scott Dawson who'd go on to be Revival/FTR.
A kraven the hunter like psychopath character called Leo Kruger
Vampire/Werewolf/Underworld like characters named Rick Victor and Connor O'Brian (used to be a ratman in gameshow nxt)
WWE finally letting Antonio Cesaro(Claudio Castagnoli) wrestle instead of being in cuck storylines and losing all the time (he was cucking people)
The TV debut of Sami Zayn

Slowly with the launch of the WWE Network the people at WWE wanted to stress test their streaming service so they tried with NXT's first ever Special Event Arrival and that was a success for them so they decided to start signing bigger names Like KENTA, Prince Devitt, and Kevin Steen. This kept going with signings of Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura, Aliester Black etc.

Takeovers had great wrestling and felt focused compared to WWE main product at the time. There was no AEW and alternatives like TNA and ROH were starting to decline hard and Japanese wrestling wasnt that accessible for people to check out yet (no english commentary was a big hurdle). NXT even focused on things the main roster didnt such as Tag Team wrestling and the womens division. Women like Paige, Emma, Charlotte, Bayley, Becky Lynch, and Sasha Banks were big talks while people wished the main roster was like that instead of Divas stuff.

As a developmental brand where eventually you're supposed to get called up to wrestle on Raw and Smackdown saw people go through pre-call up gimmick/name changes. Konnor and Viktor became Legion of Doom rip offs that instantly buried on call up for being rip offs. the Hunter Leo Kruger became a Party Bus Raver called Adam Rose. Some stayed similar and maybe pushed ok, but got jobbed out because their gimmicks were never pushed/explained to main audiences who maybe didnt watch NXT. and were punished for it/put in bad stories. Emma had an awkward/clumsy gimmick brought up and paired with Santino a comedy guy with a snake hand puppet and that died terribly she went back to NXT to repackage herself. Becky, Charlotte, and Sasha were called up at once to form teams with Divas to make it seem like they cared about the womens division after fans complained about giving them a chance to wrestle more. At some point WWE just started calling up the NXT champions and people in the middle of stories in NXT and changed their gimmicks/had them lose a lot as NXT champions. Aliester Black/Ricochet were called up as a tag team as were tag team champs War Raiders (now called The Viking Experience) after they just had a Tag Team title match the previous Takeover.

NXT UK started at some point where WWE successfully killed most independent wrestling in the UK because they were scared of a new big time wrestling promotion in the UK from starting up. NXT UK was a failure and a joke fwiw but the job was done already. Then AEW started up and Covid happened and the talent/crowd energy in NXT was gone and still getting called up and used terribly and repackaged. Eventually WWE released a bunch of people and reunited the NXT US and NXT UK brands (firing all the NXT UK people who didnt want to move to the US) and then they rebranded NXT from this alternative to WWE since AEW was already like that to a real developmental program on TV again with bright flashy colors, a bunch of new faces (most having never wrestled before), and cartoony gimmicks from like 80s while also trying to be raunchy and have the sex appeal for women back when the Attitude Era and Divas were at the peak. They called it NXT 2.0! This was also a huge failure so they kind of just reverted back to NXT black and gold color scheme and slowly toned down on some of the earlier because most did not catch on with the crowd/fans at home. Still not that good even with some good independent talent hanging around.

tl;dr: There was the bad NXT Gameshow Era (WWE trash Bad!), then NXT Developmental Era(Fresh Ideas Good) to NXT Takeover(Super Indy Good) Era, to NXT Covid Era (Talent Gone, AEW exists, Bad!) to NXT 2.0 (weird rebrand that barely lasted a year, Bad!) to current day NXT (Its Eh? Mostly bad mixed with some good.)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
NXT had that one falls count anywhere match between Asuka and Nikki Cross where they brawled through the arena on a random streamed weekly episode. Them just giving away something like that on a show no one watched was probably the peak of NXT

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2uiWsLsK9o

You Can Join Something Awful Wrestling Today

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

One reason NXT could be good was the schedule

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOAB8ztrS8

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ty iggy i was lookin for that

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
nxt game show diva era had a different theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODyABRQyO8

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

nxt game show diva era had a different theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODyABRQyO8

whats the opposite of nostalgia

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I turned nxt on for a bit tonight because I was bored and curious, and it was during a like 15 minute monologue of a British dude announcing he was Too Old For This poo poo while the crowd in their "wow, it's just like the indies" arena kinda half-heartedly reacted?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

nxt died when kevin owen lost to john cena

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know. it's short for "next"

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Cthulu Carl posted:

I turned nxt on for a bit tonight because I was bored and curious, and it was during a like 15 minute monologue of a British dude announcing he was Too Old For This poo poo while the crowd in their "wow, it's just like the indies" arena kinda half-heartedly reacted?

lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I also noticed during a match I bothered to half-watch that they have screens behind the top row of the audience and during the match there were a bunch of ghostly, vaguely humanoid shapes on the screens so that if you just glanced at the TV or were far more focused on... I dunno, Beef Meatslap going up against some guy whose real name is probably Gareth, you might be tricked into thinking the crowd is way bigger than in reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
NXT's quality depends on what WWE wants it to be. Do they want it to be a good wrestling show, or something stupid? It's always been one of those two.