Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
more like pinned teabag hat lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

isn't hotep an egyptian deity?

hotep

motep

holiday ipp

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

isn't hotep an egyptian deity?

Yea.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sovshit

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

so what's that about people asking if they can say hotep?? what's next, i can't say jehovah???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

this dude is a bubba hotep 😂😂😂

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

so what's that about people asking if they can say hotep?? what's next, i can't say jehovah???

I think they were just being cautious because "hotep" can refer to a subset of black men whove got questionable pseudo-historic beliefs about their own origins, that often include conspiracy theories about egypt, and are known to proseltyze.

Theyre just being cautious to ensure they werent using a slur.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

God's not here. P. Barnes is.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
why would you go to court and make yourself a target by taking videos on ur cell phone? it's not even funny.

you know what is funny? straight up disrespecting judges

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

you know what is funny? straight up disrespecting judges

I can lead to wonderful quotes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Poohs Packin posted:

I think they were just being cautious because "hotep" can refer to a subset of black men whove got questionable pseudo-historic beliefs about their own origins, that often include conspiracy theories about egypt, and are known to proseltyze.

Also a belief that white people were invented by an evil wizard named Yakub using magnets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakub_(Nation_of_Islam)

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I. M. Gei posted:

Also a belief that white people were invented by an evil wizard named Yakub using magnets.

Thats very specifically an NOI belief. Honestly doesnt seem that far fetched. Also I see nothing wrong with consuming less swine as Im approaching 40 and a total slut for porchetta.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

https://youtu.be/BA3JUpQzOek

e: it’s better with the discussion at the end

Brain Curry fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 26, 2024

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2024/QDC24-038.pdf

quote:

At the end of the day, I am left wondering what it all meant.

E: in summary, a sovcit challenges a $183 traffic fine in court, and ends up still having to pay the fine, $108 for the summons and also court costs of $1800

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 2, 2024

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mister Speaker posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but there's a specific subset of Black Nationalist, maybe some kind of 'hotep' also (is it OK to use that term?) who thinks laws like taxes don't apply to them because of some protected Moorish ancestry or something, equivalent to having a Native Status card but worldwide. At a bar I used to work, this guy raised a big stink and demanded we take taxes off of his bill and when we wouldn't, he sent us a strongly-worded letter citing some UN resolutions or something. We laughed and threw it in the trash. Anyone know more about this?

You’re thinking of Moorish Sovereign Citizens, which is a group of wackos that mix sovcit nonsense with “moorish rights” of black people nonsense.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/moorish-sovereign-citizens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Sovereign Citizens exist because some people feel powerless, and they cling to explanations that give them control over their world.

The source of their powerlessness are commonly:
The government is making me pay taxes
The government is making me take care of my kids, pay child support, or took them away from me
The government is making me pay for those bad checks I floated.
The government won’t let me drive because of my DUIs and multiple other infractions.
The government won’t let me have sex with underage kids.
The government won’t let me carry my automatic rifle into Pizza Hut.
The government won’t let me do other stupid things like sell unpasteurized milk, grow weed in my basement, shoot at people on my property, store hazardous materials in my empty pool, build a house without inspections or licenses, or walk around naked and sporting a boner in the mall.

You might observe a pattern. The government is mean to them. These things are already strongly coupled with being a dumbass. So these dumbasses find people who will tell that that they’re not wrong, it’s the government who is wrong. In fact, it’s not even legal for it to do these things to them, it’s all a big lie. And now that they know that, they don’t have to obey the rules. It’s a conspiracy theory that affirms their deep sense of righteousness.

I’m not driving, I’m traveling. The US is a corporation and they owe me money. My person is a legal fiction, I’m actually a flesh and blood man that the government has no power over. I do not consent so you are violating my rights. The non-aggression pact says you can’t do anything to me if I am nonviolently breaking the law. Your gold fringe flag means this is an admiralty court and we are bound by the universal commerce code, also I am technically a boat.

Dumbasses

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

GotLag posted:

https://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2024/QDC24-038.pdf

E: in summary, a sovcit challenges a $183 traffic fine in court, and ends up still having to pay the fine, $108 for the summons and also court costs of $1800

I hadn't realized this poo poo extended outside the US. gently caress

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

Theyre just being cautious to ensure they werent using a slur.

it’s just a repackaging of intensely misogynistic, homophobic, patriarchal blah blah blah. just another word for regressive.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's tangentially related but in the UK if you watch the government-funded TV channels you have to pay a TV licensing fee.

However the company whose job it is to enforce this has no legal authority to enter your house to check if you have a television unless you invite them in, so they're entirely dependent on the honour system.

This means that you get official-looking letters like this through your door from them using legal-sounding language to and intimidate you into thinking they have any sort of authority at all.

It's a symptom of the same problem: the law has disenfranchised people so much that people cargo-cult the rituals surrounding it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Whybird posted:

It's tangentially related but in the UK if you watch the government-funded TV channels you have to pay a TV licensing fee.

However the company whose job it is to enforce this has no legal authority to enter your house to check if you have a television unless you invite them in, so they're entirely dependent on the honour system.

This means that you get official-looking letters like this through your door from them using legal-sounding language to and intimidate you into thinking they have any sort of authority at all.

It's a symptom of the same problem: the law has disenfranchised people so much that people cargo-cult the rituals surrounding it.

Japan has the same thing, I can't find the videos at the moment, but I remember folks playing hide and seek with the NHK guy.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20231107/p2a/00m/0na/002000c

That being said sovcits are on a whole other level... people not wanting to pay a license fee isn't a big deal.

It's the weirdo "I'm not driving I'm traveling" folks...

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

just make it a tax problem solved

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I. M. Gei posted:

Broken clock etc

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

If I became a One Man Sovereign State, I would try quite hard to avoid having the United States of America declare war on me

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can almost understand the sovereign citizen/libertarian idea that their own property has their own laws, at least in America, because it *almost* seems like a logical extension of how the delineation of laws and area work. You got the big federal country with federal laws, then states have their own laws, then like counties, then towns, then fucken HOAs have their own bizarre poo poo, so it kind of, sort of, at a stretch makes sense that the next step is the individual property/land.

And like a lot of this sort of poo poo it isn't real or true at all, but it just takes the tiniest nugget of "it might be tho!" for them to jump to "it 100% is true but THEY don't want you to know".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not quite sovcit (I think), but a favorite of mine
https://youtu.be/4ZB8lmDjxnM
“What is the legal limit…of hurting somebody”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Double post but I believe there’s a German equivalent of sovcit, Reichsbürger? Apparently there are a few wild hairs in Sweden which I know will be some timecube poo poo, time to dig further

E: yeah we got em

Swedish: https://expo.se/fordjupning/rorelse-utanfor-lagen/

Expo.se posted:

These are the absolute truths that the truth seekers of the pandemic are looking for and that some believe a powerful elite is deliberately withholding from the people. The uncertainty caused by the pandemic seems to have fueled mistrust. One of these hidden "truths" Winter talks about is that countries are supposed to be corporations that de facto lack any authority. According to Winter and several conspiracy believers with him, Sweden is registered as "Sweden, the kingdom of". By creating a personal number, the company Sweden wants to force its citizens into submission. "You then have different policies in this company, Sweden Kingdom Of, which they call laws that you must follow, as long as you take responsibility for your personal number," says Winter.

Those who accept their personal number and use it to identify themselves thereby enter into a contract with the company Sweden and allow the company to determine the rules, according to Winter. For self-proclaimed sovereign citizens, the law is no more than a kind of employee handbook that applies to the person who entered into the contract. It is this contract that Winter claims to have breached with the help of his Live Life Claim (LLC), the paper with the fingerprint, tuft of hair and US flag on it.

That the document contains an American flag is no coincidence, it was created by the American conspiracy theorist and far-right activist David Wynn Miller.
jag VILL INTE skapa sammanfogning!!!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 2, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teen witch posted:

Not quite sovcit (I think), but a favorite of mine
https://youtu.be/4ZB8lmDjxnM
“What is the legal limit…of hurting somebody”

Shouting CONSTITUTION like a magic word that shields him from responsibility, I love it.

Libertarians aren't sovcit but the brainworms definitely branched off the same tree of "if only I could get out from under the thumb of the drat GUBMINT everything would be rainbows and gold".

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
I met one of these guys whose ambition was to arrest the Queen for being the leader of a paedophiliac cult, and possibly a shapeshifting alien vampire lizard.

So, stopped clocks, twice a day, etc.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
That reminds me of David Icke calling out Alex Jones for bootlicking Elon Musk recently. Icke calling out Musk for being the type of person Jones and his ilk normally rail against is spot on but gently caress why’d it have to be David Icke?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
sometimes bad people say good things and thats okay. people are complicated

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Giving bad people good ideas

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Whybird posted:

I just want to share a quick story about this.

Around 2006 I was in the army (UK) and posted to HQ Land Command when it was in Wilton near Salisbury. The TV 'detection wagon' turned up to the guard room and told them that they had detected signals from the accommodation blocks that proved that televisions were being watched and there was no records of anybody having a license on the camp. They wanted access so they could identify the exact rooms and issue fines to the occupants. The friendly guard force asked for them to pull their vehicle up in the inspection area while they made a few calls. A few minutes later the vehicle was promptly surrounded by armed guards as the TV license people had just admitted to intercepting protected communications from a 4 star military installation in contravention of various communications acts.

The civilian and military police were called who searched the vehicle and found that it had nothing in it that could intercept any kind of signal and it was all a big fat lie. They were released to the sound of a bunch of soldiers laughing at them and no they couldn't come on the camp, gently caress off.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Literally rolled up and asked “you got a loicense for that TV?”

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deported to Canada posted:

I just want to share a quick story about this.

Around 2006 I was in the army (UK) and posted to HQ Land Command when it was in Wilton near Salisbury. The TV 'detection wagon' turned up to the guard room and told them that they had detected signals from the accommodation blocks that proved that televisions were being watched and there was no records of anybody having a license on the camp. They wanted access so they could identify the exact rooms and issue fines to the occupants. The friendly guard force asked for them to pull their vehicle up in the inspection area while they made a few calls. A few minutes later the vehicle was promptly surrounded by armed guards as the TV license people had just admitted to intercepting protected communications from a 4 star military installation in contravention of various communications acts.

The civilian and military police were called who searched the vehicle and found that it had nothing in it that could intercept any kind of signal and it was all a big fat lie. They were released to the sound of a bunch of soldiers laughing at them and no they couldn't come on the camp, gently caress off.

Is four star like a rating? also do these people get paid commission on the licenses or something? I can't imagine anyone driving up to a US military base and demanding to be let on to issue tickets

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Poohs Packin posted:

a total slut for porchetta.

Mods, name change pls

As a lawyer, I guarantee we are all laughing at SovCits and we all have a SovCit story or two. When lawyers get together, we all tell our wackiest SovCit stories and guffaw. When one of them shows up to the court, we'll be like "Hey guys, Judge Smith has a SovCit" and we all show up to gawk.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Honestly they’re hilarious but there ought to be some clause that allows contempt of court the instant they start up on the sovcit talking points. I’ve seen so many judges be so patient with those bozos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ron Paul delegate housemate was excited to learn orange juice cures cancer which I let slide as he didn’t have cancer, but when he wanted to try out the new cool trend of being immune from traffic laws if you claim to be a traveller on the land I recommended not testing that.

There's already a way to being immune from traffic laws and it's called a drivers license.

I never see people pulled over

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
most of my day at work is investigating identity theft claims from sovcits who filed those claims in order to get out of debt. on one hand, i can't blame them for trying, but on the other hand, there's no law or court which would ever support the claim that a credit bureau furnishing a credit report to a creditor during the act of evaluating credit worthiness as part of an application for credit is a form of identity theft.

edit: they also almost universally claim that they, THE REAL AND NATURAL PERSON, are the ORIGINAL CREDITOR and did NOT AUTHORIZE the [lending company here] to report NEGATIVELY to EXPERIAN!!! this is a VIOLATION of PRIVACY!!
long story short, if you see anyone on TikTok claiming they know one weird trick to erase debt, they are likely a SovCit grifter and should be launched into space.

SonOfGhostDad fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 3, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In their defense, gently caress the credit bureaus and credit scores in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Can confirm