Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Being bad at crimes doesn't mean the crimes didn't happen. LOL

It changes how seriously they should be taken. The Jan 6 dipshits were effectively left to play at their idiot idea of a coup until they got tired and went home to be systematically rounded up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
let's all meet in the middle and call it the least effective attempted coup

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think that's a fair compromise tbh.

Unless someone cites another, shittier attempted coup, then it's all gonna start again.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If the gold fringed roof comes off then it's not a real coup.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Hello Sailor posted:

There's a 2012 Canadian sovcit case where the judge wrote a decision so great that US courts sometimes cite it when dealing w/ sovcits. And it's pretty drat funny, as far as official court documents go

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

e: whoops, only linked to a summary, not the decision. Fixed

Thanks for this, just skimmed a bit so far because it's long but seen a few good bits already

fraudulent admiralty court posted:

When gurus do appear in court their schemes uniformly fail, which is why most leave court appearances to their customers. That explains why it is not unusual to find that an OPCA litigant cannot even explain their own materials. They did not write them. They do not (fully) understand them. OPCA litigants appear, engage in a court drama that is more akin to a magic spell ritual than an actual legal proceeding, and wait to see if the court is entranced and compliant. If not, the litigant returns home to scrutinize at what point the wrong incantation was uttered, an incorrectly prepared artifact waved or submitted.

Sir_TaxALot
Jul 31, 2008
The current meme & laughingstock of France's internet is a couple who filmed themselves being arrested yelling "I do not consent, I do not contract" at the cops, while claiming that the country France was actually a private company belonging to the King of England or some bullshit.

https://euro.dayfr.com/local/2002076.html

We have enough conspiracy crap as it is, but now we're importing it worldwide thanks to the Internet.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
It would be slightly more believable that England and its kings flow from an agreement made by the French

Even their motto is French

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sir_TaxALot posted:

The current meme & laughingstock of France's internet is a couple who filmed themselves being arrested yelling "I do not consent, I do not contract" at the cops, while claiming that the country France was actually a private company belonging to the King of England or some bullshit.

https://euro.dayfr.com/local/2002076.html

We have enough conspiracy crap as it is, but now we're importing it worldwide thanks to the Internet.

Lmao, hell yeah

There are tens of thousands of sovereign citizens in Germany now. A year ago police raided a larger group that was preparing a coup.They had stockpiled weapons and explosives and had kill lists and everything. The group had some old moldy royal guy (he is a prince of something)that they planned to install as the emperor of the German Empire (you see, the current government isn't real and just a private corporation under maritime law and the German Empire still exists)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember hearing a LOT of poo poo during high school and shortly after of people citing "free speech" and "freedom of speech". They would get confused and just repeat it whenever I asked, first, how the gently caress does that apply to Australia (we do not have the same wording at all, there is no "freedom of speech") and second, do they realise "freedom of speech" only applies to the government not people who are around you.

I know at least one of those people is currently trying to build a nuclear bunker and went from being a nice guy, to a nice guy who stopped taking his meds and got a partner who encourages Joe Rogan libertarian world-ending poo poo. It's very sad.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

syntaxfunction posted:

I think that's a fair compromise tbh.

Unless someone cites another, shittier attempted coup, then it's all gonna start again.

Bay of pigs, probably.

Big ol' blunder of a coup that ends up in your own head-of-state being assassinated.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Jabor posted:

Bay of pigs, probably.

Big ol' blunder of a coup that ends up in your own head-of-state being assassinated.

We all know who to blame for that one, Matt Damon

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
As a practicing lawyer I find sovcits equal parts sad, frustrating and hilarious.

One of the saddest parts is kind of that their existence is in and of itself an indictment of the justice system.

One of the central principles of law is notoriety: as a citizen of a country your are expected to be aware of current laws and regulations. The purpose of this is obvious, if you get caught doing something illegal the first thing the system confronts you with is "you are supposed to know this is illegal, or at least you should know". The next thing the system does is say "well if you honestly didn't know you really should have, and so this can't be used as an excuse".

Okay, fine, that's something you need to have a functional system, because if not everyone can just play dumb and avoid all consequences. However, the systematic assumption of universal responsibility is supposed to be paired with clear, concise law with adequate notoriety or in other words the rules should be so simple, clear and precise that the average joe should have no trouble getting to know all these rules or finding and reading them as needed. Perhaps the most important rules (constitution, criminal procedure and law) should be part of a national school curriculum to ensure everyone has a basic understanding of their rights and obligations?

I think we all know that isn't the case. Given modern literacy rates, the amount of disinformation online or in actual books as well as the general level of education in the population, people don't have a loving clue what the rules actually say.

You'd think that would be great for lawyers, but it's just a pain in the rear end. The rules apply whether you know about them or not and everything else is just noise.

Still, they are hilarious. Someone wrote a seventy page complaint about my government coworker the other day, where they didn't consent and were withdrawing consent and banning this and that and we just basically laughed and binned it because we don't need consent to do our jobs, we have statutory law. Which they should have known about.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Even exceptionally well read and education people don't have a clue what the law actually says and intuit 90% of it. Hence your job. It's more a matter of erosion in institutional trust and a section of society that are specifically manipulated not to be able to tell the difference between reliable and unreliable information.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Has a sovcit successfully managed to one cool trick a judge or lawyer even!m? It seems like it fails pretty much every time, so I don’t understand why it’s still attempted (outside of pure ego)

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

teen witch posted:

Has a sovcit successfully managed to one cool trick a judge or lawyer even!m? It seems like it fails pretty much every time, so I don’t understand why it’s still attempted (outside of pure ego)
It's usually put forth by really really desperate but ignorant people who know they're in trouble, but some nice folks online sold them this one weird trick and they're clinging to it for dear life. Sadly, if they don't drop the idea quickly they can turn into full blown anti-government militant types as the court costs, fees, and potential jail time stacks up.

I think the only examples of this poo poo actually working are cases where they would have won no matter what defense they presented, like cases so minor that the city/state bringing it don't want to waste the time prosecuting them.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

teen witch posted:

Sort of, but not really. When sovcits first started popping up, law enforcement officers and judges often made the mistake of assuming they were acting in good faith and just very confused/misled. So the sovcits would get minor "victories" like getting their cases postponed by judges or some accedence to their weird demands by LEOs.

The magic incantations that earned them these minor wins were quickly spread around to other sovcits, which (I believe) is why they all tend to use the exact same few statements.

After some of them started taking advantage of the confusion they were causing to attack/kill LEOs and doing things like putting liens on judges' houses, their stupid poo poo started to get old really fast.

e: TIL "accede" as a noun is not "accession"

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 8, 2024

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

teen witch posted:

I've read of a broader phenomena where in cases where the crimes are minor enough and the amount of bullshit churned up by these type of people is major enough that they eventually manage to bog down the process through sheer weight of bogus filings and generally being annoying and the thing just dies off because the DA finds an excuse to dismiss. I can't point to any examples, though. "Paper terrorism" in the form of counter-lawsuits that, for example, put liens on the property of law enforcement officials seems to have been more successful, though in the past couple of decades they've passed laws to help block this strategy.

Here's a good summary from 2012:
https://www.adl.org/sites/default/files/documents/assets/pdf/combating-hate/Lawless-Ones-2012-Edition-WEB-final.pdf

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

I remember hearing a LOT of poo poo during high school and shortly after of people citing "free speech" and "freedom of speech". They would get confused and just repeat it whenever I asked, first, how the gently caress does that apply to Australia (we do not have the same wording at all, there is no "freedom of speech") and second, do they realise "freedom of speech" only applies to the government not people who are around you.

I know at least one of those people is currently trying to build a nuclear bunker and went from being a nice guy, to a nice guy who stopped taking his meds and got a partner who encourages Joe Rogan libertarian world-ending poo poo. It's very sad.

This has existed in soft form in the progressive / 'progressive' middle class since at least my parents' time. IE the people the hippies and hippie approvers became. Endless Voltaire quotes

"I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" :smug: :decorum:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

As a practicing lawyer I find sovcits equal parts sad, frustrating and hilarious.

One of the saddest parts is kind of that their existence is in and of itself an indictment of the justice system.

One of the central principles of law is notoriety: as a citizen of a country your are expected to be aware of current laws and regulations. The purpose of this is obvious, if you get caught doing something illegal the first thing the system confronts you with is "you are supposed to know this is illegal, or at least you should know". The next thing the system does is say "well if you honestly didn't know you really should have, and so this can't be used as an excuse".

Okay, fine, that's something you need to have a functional system, because if not everyone can just play dumb and avoid all consequences. However, the systematic assumption of universal responsibility is supposed to be paired with clear, concise law with adequate notoriety or in other words the rules should be so simple, clear and precise that the average joe should have no trouble getting to know all these rules or finding and reading them as needed. Perhaps the most important rules (constitution, criminal procedure and law) should be part of a national school curriculum to ensure everyone has a basic understanding of their rights and obligations?

I think we all know that isn't the case. Given modern literacy rates, the amount of disinformation online or in actual books as well as the general level of education in the population, people don't have a loving clue what the rules actually say.

You'd think that would be great for lawyers, but it's just a pain in the rear end. The rules apply whether you know about them or not and everything else is just noise.

Still, they are hilarious. Someone wrote a seventy page complaint about my government coworker the other day, where they didn't consent and were withdrawing consent and banning this and that and we just basically laughed and binned it because we don't need consent to do our jobs, we have statutory law. Which they should have known about.

Rules don't apply equally across the board, and that's a big part of the institutional problem, see: cops getting away with murder all the loving time. ( might be :nws: on the other side of the link)

The only reason why police everywhere don't buy the sovcit poo poo is because they're oftentimes just as dumb, but when they get the law wrong some lawyer cleans it up, they get some paid time off, and then they get told exactly what not to do for next time.

Cops don't need to believe in sovcit because they can wave their badge and usually get away with the petty poo poo that way. The videos of cops escalating a simple speeding ticket into an arrest is testament to this fact.

teen witch posted:

The coolest "one cool trick" I know of wasn't sovcit, but some lady who turned police destruction qualified immunity into eminent domain seizure and prevented QI from even being addressed in order to get her suit against the PD to stick.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Mistle posted:

Rules don't apply equally across the board, and that's a big part of the institutional problem, see: cops getting away with murder all the loving time. ( might be :nws: on the other side of the link)

The only reason why police everywhere don't buy the sovcit poo poo is because they're oftentimes just as dumb, but when they get the law wrong some lawyer cleans it up, they get some paid time off, and then they get told exactly what not to do for next time.

Cops don't need to believe in sovcit because they can wave their badge and usually get away with the petty poo poo that way. The videos of cops escalating a simple speeding ticket into an arrest is testament to this fact.

The coolest "one cool trick" I know of wasn't sovcit, but some lady who turned police destruction qualified immunity into eminent domain seizure and prevented QI from even being addressed in order to get her suit against the PD to stick.

There's a difference between "I just want to get away with my fuckup" and "I don't believe that I am subject to the laws of the United States because I Am The Living Man, John, of the name S-m-i-t-h." Also cops generally aren't into sovcit poo poo because sovcits harass, gently caress with, and kill cops.

Not a bootlicker, I just think you're stretching things a bit.

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 8, 2024

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Strategic Tea posted:

This has existed in soft form in the progressive / 'progressive' middle class since at least my parents' time. IE the people the hippies and hippie approvers became. Endless Voltaire quotes

"I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" :smug: :decorum:

Free speech is the worst kind of speech, except all the others that have been tried.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Are you arresting my posts?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
Found in the wild

Edit: will have to wait until I get home

DemihumanResources fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 9, 2024

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I saw what I suspect was a sovcit car today: absolutely decked out in retired veteran stickers, with a license plate that bore no state markings whatsever, nor resembled any familiar west coast plates, but had the alphanumerics and DISABLED VETERAN where state would have been.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I sometimes don't put my seat belt on until about a minute down the road. My truck is so old it doesn't really care, just a flashing red sign on the dash, but no noise.

It's my land.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gently caress the police.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DemihumanResources posted:

Found in the wild

Edit: will have to wait until I get home

...is that a kia SLLURIDE?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
How do you guys feel about “First Amendment Auditors”? Many other names and specialities, but generally the people that go around filming cops and other public officials.

They get lumped in with sovcits, especially by law enforcement, and I do believe there’s a Venn diagram showing an overlap to be made, but I feel like some of them do real work.

Yeah, some of them can be annoying assholes, but if a guy being an annoying rear end in a top hat can get a cop to violate their rights, what other reasons is that cop using to violate others rights as well?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Triikan posted:

How do you guys feel about “First Amendment Auditors”? Many other names and specialities, but generally the people that go around filming cops and other public officials.

They get lumped in with sovcits, especially by law enforcement, and I do believe there’s a Venn diagram showing an overlap to be made, but I feel like some of them do real work.

Yeah, some of them can be annoying assholes, but if a guy being an annoying rear end in a top hat can get a cop to violate their rights, what other reasons is that cop using to violate others rights as well?

When they do it to cops it's great, but a lot of them use it as an excuse to stalk and harass, for example, librarians for no other reason than punching down is good and makes them feel big and strong.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Triikan posted:

I don't think they're doing it out of martyrdom. They're being annoying assholes for clicks.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

teen witch posted:

once a cop was harassing me for some stupid poo poo so I just kept repeating “am I being detained?” over and over and he eventually said no and I left

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

pencilhands posted:

once a cop was harassing me for some stupid poo poo so I just kept repeating “am I being detained?” over and over and he eventually said no and I left
Things like that I think are a wise limit, but I’d never do them (brown)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Triikan posted:

Anyone who harasses cops is good in my book.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Am I being molested? is another good one that freaks cops out.

Apr 11, 2024
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2024

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i like when people i hate annoy other people i hate instead of annoying me. itd be better if everyone could get along but fat chance! as long as someone is crying at the end im happy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

dreezy posted:

i like when people i hate annoy other people i hate instead of annoying me. itd be better if everyone could get along but fat chance! as long as someone is crying at the end im happy

yeah my family holiday dinners were pretty hosed up too

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pencilhands posted:

Lol you pwned that cop PH

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Triikan posted:

They're great at protests. During the 2020 uprisings in Philly they came out in force and wore bright orange clothing so they stood out in the crowd. People that stood near them tended not to get hosed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

pencilhands posted:

This is fun, but the line I'm really looking forward to dropping the next time a cop replies "no" to that is "Then you're dismissed, Constable." Bonus points for putting as much disdain into 'dismissed' and pronouncing the K sound in 'constable' from the back of the throat.

(Yes I'm white, how did you know)