Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

The modern sovcit "movement" (more like a bunch of randoms who find the same material through various means and times) is based around finding the magic words that let you do anything you want and no one can argue.

It sounds ridiculous, but then realising that there's a *lot* of the same thing repackaged as a different thing. Pick up artists? Say the "right phrases" and no one can say no. Then you have "The Secret" and similar stuff which doesn't involve phrases to people, but a nebulous universe. Hypnotists, same deal.

But it's even simpler, because the core is really "get something for nothing", or put another way, it's all a "get rich quick" scheme.

But this time it'll work for sure!

I don't agree with this, but I can see how you could see the legal system as some sort of "magic words" and they grant you power. Consider the legal disclaimer on a McDonald's coffee cup that THIS COFFEE IS HOT AND BY READING THIS THE DRINKEE....etc. Used to ward off lawsuits, a magic phrase that creates a magic legal bubble of immunity.

Now, extrapolate that to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's not a "Coup" unless you declare it. That's the Natural Law!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I sometimes don't put my seat belt on until about a minute down the road. My truck is so old it doesn't really care, just a flashing red sign on the dash, but no noise.

It's my land.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just keep saying "sir" till they are overwhelmed by my fealty.