Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Eclipse12 posted:

What's up with Tau? GW make a faction and then just flat-out forget about it?

naem
May 29, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Orks are legit funny as poo poo and own

I’ve scratched my warhammer itch by watching Total War Warhammer on youtube, one of the fun things about orks/goblins is that while the units will break and run away fairly easily, they also rally easily so you get this emergent gameplay where half the orks run, turn around and charge back in in waves

its pure chaos and highly entertaining

naem
May 29, 2011

some college friends once played an Eldar 40k army vs. Fantasy Lizardmen using made up rules and it was very entertaining

an entire pool table covered almost entirely with lizards shooting arrows at space elves with lasers

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Lots of "This weapon can cut through armor that should be able to stop moons from crushing its wearer like it's made of paper!" and "This guy picked up this demon who ate ten planets and piledrove him so hard he turned into an accordion!".

But you have to have some kind of balance in an actual GAME, so yeah, on the tabletop Orks smash 'em with choppas, which might literally be the most recent sharp and pointy thing they picked up.

the actual tabletop gameplay is really poorly thought out and not good or balanced at all and leads to “friends” who’ve a spent over a $1000 on toys they painted for hours arguing until they don’t want to hang out ever again

naem
May 29, 2011

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, titty_baby_ mentioned Warmachine and that's a game I wish had a bigger presence. Such a fun and flavorful game.

I wish there were more (any) true-to-life digital tabletop games so I could actually play them. I have a healthy game store a mile from my house, but time, money, and annoying dorks of in-person gaming make it very unappealing.

https://youtu.be/1rDJSJ4uAb4?si=Np511AYCICKi_Jlo

fun play by play of other people playing video game mans

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

Orkz make the transition to the warp by all of them chanting " 'Ere we go, 'Ere we go" until they jump.

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I like the Orks. At least they have fun

naem
May 29, 2011

Elukka posted:

WHFB was always high fantasy but it wasn't uniformly high fantasy, I think that's the thing. There's contrast. The dragons and helicopters and steam tanks and magic spells exist in a substrate of mundane spearmen, archers and cavalry.

That's also why the Total War games are so great, because it has the substrate of regular, grounded premodern combat and you have your line of elven spearmen and flanking cavalry but boom here come the helicopter gunships.

As much as traditional strategy etc is fun, Total War Warhammer 2 for a while had the Vampire Blob where you get all your guys in a group and have health regeneration, unbreakable leadership and AOE spells going off at once and it kind of broke the game as demonstrated in this video that has 14 whole views

https://youtu.be/wsbw2Zb38Uw?si=qZg5kgBYoA7HF2U0

naem
May 29, 2011

the chaos goddess Slaneesh could be described as, affectionate

naem
May 29, 2011

my 40k group were a bunch of hipstery college students who were playing it semi-ironically at first but who then got way too into it and arguments over the terrible rules helped fracture the friend group

which was a shame because several of them had wealthy-ish parents who had pool tables in the basement and unused pool tables are the perfect army man substrate

naem
May 29, 2011

picturing a muppet babies nursery of Primarchs

naem
May 29, 2011

hey now women in 40k have great representation including the Sisters of battle (catholic bikini ladies) and the Dark Eldar (goth bikini ladies)

also the chaos demon Slaneesh is often portrayed as a kind of spooky lady (in a bikini), due to the scientific fact that all sex is bad and evil

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

the henry caville show def needs an ork episode

hatching out of mushrooms, instinctively building weapons and armor and vehicles, fightin’, the works. All from the ork point of view- “hey wat are we doin’ this all for? *shrugs*”

It could be a comedy episode and end with main cast characters showing up to fight the orks

naem
May 29, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Listen

Orks is best.

naem
May 29, 2011

warhammer fantasy is classic elves orcs dragons knights etc which have ready built fans as it is an entire genre

you could be a tolkein, DND or Skyrim fan and step right into it with no explanation “hey cool you can fight battles these minis look fun!”

age of sigmar is, slightly different, knights, or something?

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

While I was in the store, some dude was complaining to the manager about new people coming into the hobby at the expense of die-hards lmao.

this will always be the single biggest problem with any hobby really but games in general

why would you be mad to have more people to do fun stuff with? would it really be better to have the same 3 guys to min max power game at and remove all possibility of fun or new experiences? can those three guys single handedly keep a games store in business? at the prices they charge they might actually

what if GULP a GIRL showed up??

naem
May 29, 2011

the game may take itself a tad too seriously at times but these models look good as heck

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

:agreed:

naem
May 29, 2011

Smugworth posted:

Where are the lady orks

naem
May 29, 2011

thin blue whine posted:

Can someone explain what a "squig" is and what it does exactly? I've had a general idea but then sometimes it seems like it does something more and different than what I thought and I get confused. I know nothing about Orkz other than general carryover lore from 3rd edition.

squigs is da best

they our friendz!

they eat uz

an’ we eat dem!

naem
May 29, 2011

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i have conflicted feelings about quadroped squigs

iz great

don’t hav t’ eat em all at onez

can give em robot legz

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

I want problematic space lesbians.

we all do

naem
May 29, 2011

Squigs Iz Gud

naem
May 29, 2011

in the grimdark future

there is only

shoulderpad

naem
May 29, 2011

I have no idea what this is from or why it has spanish subtitles

https://youtu.be/5wsaH5VRx1E?si=VGjyDBbteBJT9hss

naem
May 29, 2011

those all look great space catholics

naem
May 29, 2011

Gripweed posted:

By that pint Eldar had already descended into depravity, and we know that the bulk of their species was just hanging around near their home system, fuckin'.

in the grimdark future, there are only bikini ladies

:nws: trigger warning: bikini ladies

naem
May 29, 2011

Your Family posted:

Why is it that, in a lot of 40k artwork, the battlefields always seemed cramped and congested and there's just way too many loving dudes? Is there a reason for that? I know nothing of these games, but that's the one thing that always stood out to me: all the soldiers so crammed into every battle they're in.

it’s because all warhamm games irl take place either in your rich friend’s parents basement (on the pool table next to the washing machine) or in a small storage space sized storefront full of fat guys in a half empty strip mall on a series of folding tables and there is never enough space to lay out all the army man’s fully

naem
May 29, 2011

don’t forget the best faction of them all:

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Grotz is good. taste well with catsup

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like the alternative take that in Star Trek or a similar series they actually would be seen as a villainous race given they're building a caste-based hegemony at the point of a gun but because they are willing to try soft power first and won't kill you outright if they win they're one of the more moral factions in 40k by default.

I agree with the Tau as the tragicomic straight man, it’s fun

orks: SMASH! KRUMP! FIGHTIN!

tau: My Goodness clearly this people just needs Enlightened Leadership *laser noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

there is a rick and morty like cartoon about star trek second contact and it is basically this

https://youtu.be/18O2tiCxZ8E?si=iiFldi_cTaEhx8gq