Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kill team, for that description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
age of sigmar does 30% of sales, warhammer fantasy, when it was a thing, did sub-10%. the old world is being released because they got grognards on staff, too. aos 1st ed was a mess rules-wise (mustache rule and all) but a complete revivification of the line sales-wise. can't really be credibly called a fuckup

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 28, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what i mean by the mustache rule is this

quote:

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg's skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

or longbeard rules

quote:

Old Grumblers: In your hero phase, you can complain about something in a suitably Dwarfish manner. For example, the hardships you endured when you were younger, how the youth of today don't respect their elders, how expensive beer is etc. If you do, this unit of Longbeards will join in and you can pick one of the grumblings listed below. The effects last until your next hero phase.

they shipped this in 2015

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you need to stop listening to any numbers GW puts out except their yearly accounting reports

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 29, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
astronomican is to navigate and was constructed by the emperor right after the unification wars. you can still warp jump without it but you cannot have a galactic imperium without it - it along with navigators makes like, 5000 light year jumps practicable, although you can still jump like 2 light years without it. and he did just power it with his own power

the sacrifices start at the end of the siege

unlike many many other parts of the setting, the absolute dog poo poo state of the transportation of the imperium is lovingly and incredibly detailed. put your gellar shields up, tear open a portal to hell, shove your city-sized spaceship into hell, navigate by weird-rear end mutant navigators staring into hell with their third eye, hopefully pop back out at the other end faster-than-light speed. pray that the demons don't take you. etc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 29, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Crazy Achmed posted:

How do the orks achieve ftl travel, then?

no gellar shields, they just fight demons the whole way. and navigation is done by shits and giggles. otherwise the same as the imperium

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're bigger! they get two wounds! they can sell you new models for $60 a squad (37.5£ a squad)! given, the models are pretty good

(they retconned classic marines to get two wounds too a few years ago)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 31, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Huh that's crazy. Maybe I'll read up on it.

you can't, for the guilliman waking up bit. not in the black library, the only telling was in the gathering storm sourcebook and it's interspersed with rules. fall of cadia is a pretty deec book by robert rath tho

black library is laid out by authorial feudalism. it's not a guarantor of quality, it's a guarantor of getting a book written reasonably on time. which is basically a miracle, anyhow

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so there's 2 primarchs that are back and ready to gently caress, is Vulkan still alive? last I heard he was captured and being tortured or something? so there's 3 maybe. who else could come back? Russ? that would be sick as hell, flying out of the warp with some screeching guitars playing

captured and tortured is not even by the end of the heresy (millennia before 40k). traitors are getting models rolled out on the regular, loyalists have russ, dorn, vulkan, khan and corax on deck. sanguinius and ferrus are permanently dead (vulkan gets killed to be worfed all the time in the heresy but he gets better)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
khan is the one that hosed off to the webway. russ and corax hosed off to the eye of terror. dorn is supposedly killed but they'll retcon that if the model sells well, prolly. vulkan will come back after the salamanders do an epic scavenger hunt

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its from kill team, the game for peeps who want to spend $200, not $5000

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
an actual different aesthetic that they have is cyberpunk early modern, which works much, much better than you'd think and also fuckin slaps

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is exactly one fourth of one short story of black library lore on the leagues of votann. there is basically no substantive lore yet. give it 10 years

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every faction has mechs, dreadnought-scale, knight-scale and titan-scale, except genestealers and votann (probably because of newness)

tau mechs are just shootier

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 2, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Do Tau fall to Chaos. I forget.

currently no, but give it a few years

https://www.goonhammer.com/arks-of-omen-farsight-the-goonhammer-review/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the joke with the Tau is that from day one they'd be the bad guys in Star Trek and most other kinds of shows, since they're still an imperialist caste system where one caste is clearly more equal than the others, but in 40k they look like the Federation in comparison to everyone else.

IIRC there's a bit of Tau in there, since they do have a Warp presence, it's just the bare minimum. I think it's mentioned somewhere that Tzeentch daemons have taken an interested in possessing Tau; it might be difficult and for seemingly little immediate reward, but their society has no idea how to handle it at all and gives them lots of opportunity to gently caress things up.

Kinda funny that humans basically have the highest variance of psychic ability of all the species; Eldar are well above average by default, and Orks are also pretty much all fairly psychic, but humans are on literally every level of the scale from Alpha Psykers to Omega Pariahs, the anti-psykers. (Jurgen is strongly implied to be a blank, iirc)

jurgen is stated to be a blank, flat out, in the text, starting in the first book

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
writers are one department, illustrators another, sculptors yet another

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're doing 1800s brits style genocide, not the mega-techno-hyper-genocide of the other factions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the ig is, with recondite regency details like bought commissions and regiments being armies within an army, the orks are more 1960s hooligans. the spess mehrines have much more forthright military sci fi antecedents. except the dark angels, who are based on gay poetry, black templars who are based on the templar, grey knights, ultramarines, white scars, space wolves, so basically like 3/4 of them

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 2, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that whole series sucks, pick better books. sturgeons law applies hard to warhammer its just that they put out 600 books so you can throw away 540 and still have like 60 books that are not unreadable drek

mike brooks ork books slap

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i just said mike brooks

robert rath. nate crowley has an account here iirc and his stuff slaps. dan abnett pre about 2010 was pretty grody w women in the standard sci fi way but otherwise slaps. peter fehervari. aaron demski bowden.

sandy mitchell's ciaphas cain books are a very easy read but thats cuz theyre basically the same book over and over again with the antagonists switched out. demons this time! now orks! now necrons!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they were originally made to be subtly imperialist but this is the setting with orbital drop castles so it was a bad fit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

I can barely even parse that art. I think those are ork flown plans in profile flying left to right on the left side, but the entire thing is a top down shot of a giant base, or ship maybe given the name. Why would they fly sideways with one wing pointed straight down?

the price the 80's and 90's 40k art paid for the loving mega-total-detail on everything is dog-poo poo perspective, yes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fire caste, by peter fehervari. the actual pov is mainly the commissar attached to the confederates

necrons and orks have basically all of the good xenos books. despite being the elves of the setting (and theoretically by default the second most important faction, by tolkien rules), 40k eldar books basically all suck

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 3, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all factions are static basically except the spess marines. 40k is about eternal vicious stasis and rot and decay

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

I kind of don't wanna know, but I also can't resist; are there any dark eldar books? Are Dark Eldar still a thing?

renamed drukhari for intellectual property consolidation purposes. there's some dreck

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/novels/path-of-the-dark-eldar-ebook.html

at least they can have the consolation of being usually the best faction on the tabletop

there's a deldar bit in da big dakka which is better than the actual deldar books

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

you need a really big backyard, or you'll only get snotlings or grots

incorrect. you need a really fighty backyard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
40k is for peeps with $40k to spare

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

could 3d print for like 25-50 cents a fig instead. but gw wont let you in their stores if you do that and may make attempts on your life

serious 3d printing peeps for this kinda figurine (including gw themselves) print in resin, so you're still not getting out with less than a half grand for the middling machines, a full grand to two grand for the good ones. so serious capital cost there too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol nah. im a serious 3d printing peep (3 printers for different applications) and this is not even close, even in CAD

middling

https://us.phrozen3d.com/products/sonic-mighty-8k

ridiculous

https://formlabs.com/store/form-3-basic-package-without-service/#/

fds is of course cheaper

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta peeps do buy them expecting to press a button and get a model. they're capital goods for doing work, which is basically what you have to do to get a good print

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i used to work for a dealio that sold software (completely unrelated corporate office software) to these peeps

https://sintavia.com/manufacturing/

who make aerospace components (in their case, for actual missiles) with fuckoff huge metal 3d printers. so you can make tiny little plastic missiles while they make the real missiles

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the actual answer for gw events is no, base or no

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
age of sigmar made absolute bank compared to whfb, and thats what matters to gw

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was low sales, not ip problems

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the margin being comparable to google's is why they survived and grew, and basically most of the historical models industry did not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ciaphas cain, every other book, about

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, the newspaper w titties

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_3

this was how murdoch got the sun to be one of the preeminent british newspapers, so still about fascism, regrettably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they stuck in erda a fair bit in but yeah, that was kind of an objective

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 5, 2024