Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Really wild how such a large piece of infrastructure can just cease to exist in ten seconds.

I once lived in DC area and used that bridge many times. I always liked the approach from the West / DC side where the road comes in at an angle so you could see the monstrosity you're about to cross. Sad to know it's gone. RIP to the yellow vest dudes who were in those vehicles. I expect a WTYP infrastructure episode in the immediate future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We used to make poo poo in this country. Build poo poo.

Not like that though!!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Senor Tron posted:

The bridge now on on the bridge of that ship has probably given him bigger problems.

Apparently Captain Bridges fell asleep watching The Fabulous Baker Boys.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Yikesaroo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That fuckin' sucks.

At least it didn't happen during rush hour, I guess.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

obviously they had a job to do, rescuing people but was it really the right thing to do to move so many emergency vehicles and workers onto the bridge that was in distress and of uncertain structural status?

edit: I was misunderstanding - the bridge collapsed rapidly, the emergency vehicles were there for some other reason.

edit edit: I'm a super idiot butthead

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The bridge should have read this book.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Extremely rough lmao

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Yeah, 2am on a Tuesday is probably one of the better times for a catastrophe to strike but holy loving poo poo. I can't even imagine how long it'll take to dredge the wreckage out, much less build a new bridge. Is this something the federal government can assist with?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Really wild how such a large piece of infrastructure can just cease to exist in ten seconds.

I once lived in DC area and used that bridge many times. I always liked the approach from the West / DC side where the road comes in at an angle so you could see the monstrosity you're about to cross. Sad to know it's gone. RIP to the yellow vest dudes who were in those vehicles. I expect a WTYP infrastructure episode in the immediate future.

This seems more like a Brick Immortar video to me, as it seems (again to me personally, I don't know the whole story) that this might have been a case of crew error.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I wonder if there was some sort of power failure on the boat--right before they hit it, it looks like all the lights on the ship go out

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 26, 2024

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Christ, that’s terrible. I was rooting for the last couple cars to make it across before the ship hit.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I feel like maybe it should take more than a light swat with a newspaper to make your bridge over a major shipping route fall down. but as already established itt, i'm an idiot.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, 2am on a Tuesday is probably one of the better times for a catastrophe to strike but holy loving poo poo. I can't even imagine how long it'll take to dredge the wreckage out, much less build a new bridge. Is this something the federal government can assist with?

Yes

https://twitter.com/SecretaryPete/status/1772551277441888348

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Senor Tron posted:

The bridge now on on the bridge of that ship has probably given him bigger problems.

Yo dawg we heard you like bridges

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Happy Landfill posted:

I wonder I there was some sort of power failure on the boat--right before they hit it, it looks like all the lights on the ship go out

Really looked like a 'turn it off and on again' last-ditch effort to regain control.

Ars Arcanum posted:

Christ, that’s terrible. I was rooting for the last couple cars to make it across before the ship hit.

Those two trucks coming across were VERY lucky. But you could see the front one speeding up after it gets close to the ship.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I feel like maybe it should take more than a light swat with a newspaper to make your bridge over a major shipping route fall down. but as already established itt, i'm an idiot.

The newspaper:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m guessing the bridge is very old?

Never been to B-more but I seem to recall seeing very similar bridges around Newark and the general New York area so hopefully this was a freak tragedy and they haven’t accidentally found the “one simple trick! Engineers hate them!” of bridge destructions.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Hopefully this gets a better response than East Palestine from the federal government.

What an absolute tragedy and I cannot imagine the horror of taking part in such a catastrophe.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BigglesSWE posted:

Never been to B-more but I seem to recall seeing very similar bridges around Newark and the general New York area so hopefully this was a freak tragedy and they haven’t accidentally found the “one simple trick! Engineers hate them!” of bridge destructions.

Nah, I think they’re just designed to withstand certain forces (gravity, wind) and not so much others (fully laden ships smashing into them)

I mean it’s probably old as poo poo too, like most US infrastructure, but I don’t think that’s the issue here.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This is crazy. I wonder how long it will take to rebuild. I’ve seen them quickly rebuild a bridge in Pensacola that got wiped out due to a hurricane, but drat.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Feels like you'd want to get a good handle on why it collapsed before building another, but maybe it'll be obvious if you're a bridgeologist and not a random internet moron like me

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
*points at container ship on fire*

Here’s your problem, pal. This thing right here? That’s gonna mess with your bridge seven days a week.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

big black turnout posted:

Feels like you'd want to get a good handle on why it collapsed before building another, but maybe it'll be obvious if you're a bridgeologist and not a random internet moron like me

I don't thing its a real headscratcher to be honest. Freight ships are loving huge.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

BastardySkull posted:

It happens in less than 10 seconds or so between collision and collapse.
Sure... but in the video in the tweet that was quoted with a post of "drat, I didn't think it would happen that fast" it's like a second. Hence my reply.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

big black turnout posted:

I think it had something to do with being rammed by a giant ship

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Why would Joe Biden do this?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I live down the road from the Key Bridge, like literally two miles away in a straight line. Holy gently caress is that absolutely terrifying what happened. Even at night there is still traffic on that bridge although fairly light. Also I read partial collapse on some websites, that is not loving partial, that thing is absolutely gone. And it is a major bridge but those ships are massive, i've driven over top them on that very bridge and it was fully laden as well apparently... and literally hit it like dead smack on, not a bump on the side but full plowed into.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

It was built in the 1970s, so not that old.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Squall posted:

I think it had something to do with being rammed by a giant ship

The front didn't fall off

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BigglesSWE posted:

I'm not sure "drive large vehicle into structure to do a lot of damage" is a trick that needed to be found, we've known how effective it can be since at least 2001.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

was the captain vaxed?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If Godzilla had hit the bridge, it would have fallen down slower.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

git apologist posted:

was the captain vaxed?

you're not asking the right questions.

was the captain trans or soft on border issues?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

frumpykvetchbot posted:

you're not asking the right questions.

was the captain trans or soft on border issues?

The captain didn’t respect the bridge’s borders, that’s for sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s heartwarming that they woke up Mayor Pete for this. :unsmith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw in another thread the boat experienced a power outage and lost steering

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Gozer the Gozerian had something to do with this

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The_Franz posted:

It was built in the 1970s, so not that old.

Old for bridges, though- IIRC most modern bridges were either updated or built post Sunshine Skyway collapse in the 80s, where something like this happened, but the Key Bridge was neither. Also, apparently it's also the one route where hazardous materials can pass from the connected areas as well, so there's another wrinkle to take into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I pushed a miata over that bridge in a snow storm, rip