Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how many sex arses did it take to bring down the frankie key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/149163581

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m guessing the bridge is very old?

It got hit by a container ship. I'm going through my head for a list of things human kind has built that could be hit by a container ship and survive - Maybe the pyramids?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/bgatesisapyscho/status/1772575297369518093?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Even allowing for potentially sped up footage, that thing came down fast.

And ofc the Alex Jones-esque conspiracies are already underway.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
That the bridge Brodie threw those bags of guns off right onto the barge?

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

here's the longer version if you wanna see it in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Sobolb6c4

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
They’ve rescued some people at least.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1772578325329854936

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/bgatesisapyscho/status/1772575297369518093?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Even allowing for potentially sped up footage, that thing came down fast.

And ofc the Alex Jones-esque conspiracies are already underway.

Get off twitter/what the gently caress kind of lunatic commentary is that? It looks nothing like it almost hit it on purpose.

What it looks like is that it completely missed it until the very rear end of the stern hit it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

boaty mcbridgeface

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I wanna know how a Maersk chartered container ship with multiple pilots (ships that guide the bigger ship) hosed up this bad. Honestly ban Maersk from US ports until investigation, absolutely insane poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brogeoisie posted:

I wanna know how a Maersk chartered container ship with multiple pilots (ships that guide the bigger ship) hosed up this bad. Honestly ban Maersk from US ports until investigation, absolutely insane poo poo

I think it lost power temporarily

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You can see the ship’s lights going off and on in the video.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Sobolb6c4&t=173s

This is the video posted a few posts above timestamped just before the impact.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It got hit by a container ship. I'm going through my head for a list of things human kind has built that could be hit by a container ship and survive - Maybe the pyramids?

Some battleships.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

no, i dont think the pyramids would survive a direct hit by a container ship either. maybe a chunk would remain standing but i dont think it'd be pyramid-shaped anymore

but, i could be wrong. it's never been tested, and there's only one way to know for sure. we probably should also test various other large manmade structures this way, at least enough to make a season of a new reality show. versailles, the great wall, the bass pro shop pyramid, etc.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Look at all that black smoke from the ship.
Somebody on the bridge was awake and scrambling to fix the situation.
The VDR bridge transcript is going to be an interesting read.

This photo is from 2001. Such a unique approach coming in from the west side; "here's what your bridge toll is for, behold!".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's why you have pilots. I don't understand how a ship like this didn't have pilots or redundant power systems. Feels like a massive failure on the shipping company

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The pyramids are *crazy* old so the fact that they still stand in what is even close to their original form is quite impressive. The density of that huge pile of bricks might just protect it from nefarious container ships.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My mother sleeps in the upstairs bedroom, she just called me to say the sound of it woke her up and she felt it rattle the house slightly, she thought it was a low flying plane and went back to bed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a couple of truck drivers that are going to be all over the news today but it looks like the bridge was totally clear, at least in one direction.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Brogeoisie posted:

That's why you have pilots. I don't understand how a ship like this didn't have pilots or redundant power systems. Feels like a massive failure on the shipping company

do you mean tugs? pilots don't uh independently power the ships they're temporarily in charge of.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

free hubcaps posted:

Yea you're right, you can see it in the longer video. There's a bunch of emergency/ DOT vehicles on the bridge though, you can see their flashing lights;must've been there for an unrelated reason.

Those look like they're just lights on the bridge. There was also some construction crews working so maybe it's them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Look at all that black smoke from the ship.
Somebody on the bridge was awake and scrambling to fix the situation.
The VDR bridge transcript is going to be an interesting read.

This photo is from 2001. Such a unique approach coming in from the west side; "here's what your bridge toll is for, behold!".

I hate "hill" bridges. There's one in my home city that's filled me with dread since I was a child. It's the idea of reaching the crest of the bridge to find nothing there on the other side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earwicker posted:

no, i dont think the pyramids would survive a direct hit by a container ship either. maybe a chunk would remain standing but i dont think it'd be pyramid-shaped anymore

The Great Pyramid outweighs that ship by a factor of fifty.

It would take a scratch, but it’s definitely winning that matchup.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Closed feels like an ironic understatement but it's probably easier for drivers to parse than "gone"

There's a couple of truck drivers that are going to be all over the news today but it looks like the bridge was totally clear, at least in one direction.

They're searching for up to 7 people and have rescued 2 from the water so far

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

havent seen it linked yet but i think this is the ship

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:2810451/mmsi:563004200/imo:9697428/vessel:DALI

also, new closer image

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thorgot posted:

Closed feels like an ironic understatement but it's probably easier for drivers to parse than "gone"

The bridge was regularly closed during periods of high wind.

It was as easy as flipping a switch.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Giza plateau is 60m above sea level, I think the damage by the container ship will be dwarfed by the damage done by facilitating the experiment in the first place.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying we'll need a second mop and bucket afterward

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Get off twitter/what the gently caress kind of lunatic commentary is that? It looks nothing like it almost hit it on purpose.

What it looks like is that it completely missed it until the very rear end of the stern hit it.

Nah it hits it dead on with the bow of the ship

e: conspiracy stuff is dumb but this wasn't a tap with the rear. Full frontal collision.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

The Giza plateau is 60m above sea level, I think the damage by the container ship will be dwarfed by the damage done by facilitating the experiment in the first place.

the ship could be dropped from above, the hard part is getting all those cargo containers to stay on it as it falls

Platystemon posted:

The Great Pyramid outweighs that ship by a factor of fifty.

It would take a scratch, but it’s definitely winning that matchup.

sure, buddy. prove it.* $20 says your wrong.

*you know what i mean, prove it with an actual ship and an actual pyramid, don't just show me some equations or whatever

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I grew up ten minutes from that bridge (Atomikrab either lices in my neighborhood or nearby, apparently, that close) and have driven over it too many times to count.

I'm just kind of in shock and baffled right now. Like. What the gently caress? How is something that big just loving gone?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
When informed of the collapse, one local congressman stated, “sheeeeeeeiiiit.”

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Log082 posted:

I grew up ten minutes from that bridge (Atomikrab either lices in my neighborhood or nearby, apparently, that close) and have driven over it too many times to count.

I'm just kind of in shock and baffled right now. Like. What the gently caress? How is something that big just loving gone?

Like yeah, I drove over that bridge on a regular and routine basis and having it just be absolutely loving gone is insane.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

I hate "hill" bridges. There's one in my home city that's filled me with dread since I was a child. It's the idea of reaching the crest of the bridge to find nothing there on the other side.

Same about the bridge, though I didn't really consider that fear until well after we had left that I saw pics where exactly that had happened before I was born.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Earwicker posted:

the ship could be dropped from above, the hard part is getting all those cargo containers to stay on it as it falls

I can't imagine basic gravity being any rougher than the North Atlantic, and between bolts and straps and insurance we've reached an acceptable attrition rate for that route. I say go for it as is.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

brugroffil posted:

Nah it hits it dead on with the bow of the ship

e: conspiracy stuff is dumb but this wasn't a tap with the rear. Full frontal collision.

Oh my god! You're right. When I saw it first I thought I thought I was seeing the silhouette of the ship pass behind the pylon, but it's the other way around. WTF.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Oh my god! You're right. When I saw it first I thought I thought I was seeing the silhouette of the ship pass behind the pylon, but it's the other way around. WTF.

Funky to see, plunky to sea

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Franz posted:

You can see the ship’s lights going off and on in the video.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Brogeoisie posted:

there were two pilots on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

500excf type r posted:

Funky to see, plunky to sea

Just fyi if this is a joke about my intelligence I don't get it for obvious reasons.