Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

dr_rat posted:

Not sure there's any giant big enough that we're looking at getting rid of that would require a cagro ship sized projectile to take down.

Tallest person in the world at the moment is apparently 251 cm, so like a regular sized slingshot and rock would probably do if they went on a rampage or something.

in english egghead. are we using slingshots or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Sy4twXSn0

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

I've been wondering if perhaps the second power loss may have been a desperate attempt to "re-boot" a system that had come back on line badly after the first recovery. It really seems to start veering when they re-gain power the first time, and the second power loss doesn't seem as total as the first

Do we know what sort of propulsion the Dali uses? Is it one or more screws mounted conventionally on a shaft with steering from a rudder... or dose it use steerable electric pods powered by generators?

Could the first recovery have bought those pods back on line asymmetrically or have kicked their direction out of centre?

It’s a big 2 stroke direct drive to a single prop. Probably has some bow and stern thrusters but those are for lateral thrust to aid in parking up and not propulsion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cumpantry posted:

in english egghead. are we using slingshots or not?

Yep, when ever you see anyone taller than you just let loose with that sucker and rid the world of their evil giant rear end.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Would dropping anchor done anything? Not many brake options it seems.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

redshirt posted:

I wonder if /how they can get those containers off the ship and not dropping them all in the ocean.

When the Ever Forward grounded in the bay a couple years ago they had a couple crane barges unload containers to reduce weight so they could refloat the ship. They won't be able to do that here until they clear the bridge debris, but here the ship should still be floating if they can get it away from the debris, so it's possible they might just be able to tow it back to port.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
listen, we can settle this without insurance getting involved.
Here's 100K from the captain's safe, we ok?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

They did and it didnt

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

I believe I heard a correspondent on CBS earlier today say that dropping anchor may not have had enough time to slow the ship down regardless; and even if they did, it may have also just swung the boat and made it hit from port side instead of starboard (or vice versa?).

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I guess they called off the search for the remaining 6 workers that are missing. Only 2 recovered and survived by the looks of it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grey Cat posted:

I guess they called off the search for the remaining 6 workers that are missing. Only 2 recovered and survived by the looks of it.

Aww, that really sucks. Looking at how quickly and catastrophically the bridge failed, glad they managed to rescue two though.

naem
May 29, 2011

that is a LOT of boat right there

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Such a big boat

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dr_rat posted:

Aww, that really sucks. Looking at how quickly and catastrophically the bridge failed, glad they managed to rescue two though.

Yeah it's really lovely, from what I read it seems like they were both critical condition but one has already been discharged and the other is still in the hospital. (maybe?)
I don't imagine they'll find the other 6 until the wreckage is salvaged, probably too dangerous to dive into some of that twisted metal. All sucks.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It might take a few days before they recover anyone trapped below; underwater structure wreckage is downright terrifying to properly search/dismantle.

When the I-35W bridge in Minnesota collapsed back in 2007 it took divers 3 weeks to recover everyone from the Mississippi River: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

500excf type r posted:

They did and it didnt

primaltrash posted:

I believe I heard a correspondent on CBS earlier today say that dropping anchor may not have had enough time to slow the ship down regardless; and even if they did, it may have also just swung the boat and made it hit from port side instead of starboard (or vice versa?).

Seems like the only logical thing to do then is mandate big rockets mounted backwards on the front of ships to quick reverse.

idk how many people use that bridge daily but if it’s anything like Seattle a single closure fucks traffic for 10 miles in all directions. I wonder how long it will take to rebuild…

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Traffic is going to get worse but not catastrophically so, the bridge carried about 35,000 out of 230,000 daily trips across the harbor.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah it's really lovely, from what I read it seems like they were both critical condition but one has already been discharged and the other is still in the hospital. (maybe?)
I don't imagine they'll find the other 6 until the wreckage is salvaged, probably too dangerous to dive into some of that twisted metal. All sucks.

1 left against medical advice, presumably because they are undocumented and/or terrified about the cost of treatment, so not a great outcome on that one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

I kind of hope that one of those missing road workers was down on their luck, their life was falling apart, and then when they pulled themselves from the water a quarter of a mile down the shore, they realized they had been granted a second chance. Now they're wantering the backroads of America, traveling from town to town making their way by filling in potholes where they can and having weekly adventures where they deal with local hoodlums, corrupt small town politicians, and sometimes imparting important life lessons to a young person they meet, all while being pursued by Department of Transportation inspector determined to track them down.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Three Olives posted:

1 left against medical advice, presumably because they are undocumented and/or terrified about the cost of treatment, so not a great outcome on that one.

You are probably right and it’s so loving sad

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://youtu.be/CwgOHpZlxvc?si=rUkA6Puzb64PuCeq

Good NTSB aerial footage

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

You are probably right and it’s so loving sad

A few years ago my husband had a ruptured eardrum and was told he need to follow all the doctor's instruction on care because if he didn't he was in danger of permanent hearing loss (It was really bad) if he didn't take this special antibiotic.

So, I go to the grocery store to fill it in our neighborhood I live in a gentrifying neighborhood where you are basically either upper-middle class/rich or poor, there is nothing really in between. Anyways, I go to pick it up and they say hold on, we need to talk to you privately, but I need you to wait a minute so we can check these other people out. I was just like, what the gently caress is this bullshit, whatever. So I wait, and finally they pull me aside and very compassionately and discreetly say "This is a specialty medication, after insurance, it's going to to be, I don't remember but like in the $100 range, do you still want it?"

I think that is where it really sunk in how hosed our healthcare system is on like a personal level. Yes, of course I want the medication, no, my husband is not going to lose hearing in one of his ears over $100 with health insurance, WTF?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I met a harbor pilot who averted a similar crash, I think in Philly, wherein the ship lost engines and was heading towards something disastrous and this fellow averted catastrophe by feet with mere scrapes. Wish I could find the story.

The video of the bridge collapsing was honestly shocking.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

ChickenHeart posted:

It might take a few days before they recover anyone trapped below; underwater structure wreckage is downright terrifying to properly search/dismantle.

When the I-35W bridge in Minnesota collapsed back in 2007 it took divers 3 weeks to recover everyone from the Mississippi River: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge

it really is just the worst. a bunch of mangled metal that a single bad snag could potentially means the diver also dies. you have to go s l o w. and especially once you're down at the bottom, you cant swirl up a bunch of silt, because again, you lose visibility, you get tangled up in wreckage, and bam, you're dead too.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

is the boat ok

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

GolfHole posted:

is the boat ok

the bit of roadway draped across its bow looks like it needs resurfacing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

naem posted:

that is a LOT of boat right there

well this explains why my order of 1000 rubber dog turds still is showing "in transit"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Aishlinn posted:

it really is just the worst. a bunch of mangled metal that a single bad snag could potentially means the diver also dies. you have to go s l o w. and especially once you're down at the bottom, you cant swirl up a bunch of silt, because again, you lose visibility, you get tangled up in wreckage, and bam, you're dead too.

Hey neat it's my new stress nightmare

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Time_pants posted:

ahhahahaha imagine underwater salvaging was real hahahha like turn off your monitor

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I could probably captain a ship and be pretty good at it and probably not hit a bridge.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Based on my experience playing World of Warships I know how long it takes to turn a battleship.

Inertia.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Time_pants posted:

It's not that scary!
don't worry about the bridge either.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Time_pants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

Really any of the USCSB videos are a great way to find out that you can die horribly in ways that you have never imagined:

https://www.youtube.com/user/USCSB

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mst4k posted:

I could probably captain a ship and be pretty good at it and probably not hit a bridge.

You may be smart, but you need to remember bridges are always gonna be smarter.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Not sure there's any giant big enough that we're looking at getting rid of that would require a cagro ship sized projectile to take down.

Tallest person in the world at the moment is apparently 251 cm, so like a regular sized slingshot and rock would probably do if they went on a rampage or something.

There's a post somewhere in the Murphys Rules thread about how a properly constructed D&D 3.5 character can attack by picking up and hurling oil tankers, enchanting them so they return after throwing, and then throw again. They do this with the sole goal of throwing the boat at Cthulhu, on earth, ignoring the range penalties for attacking across light-years.

You joke now, but when Torvald the Slinger wins the key to the city, you'll know it could have been you

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Those pilots that come in to navigate the local harbor weirdness by memory are apparently paid a poo poo ton for like 2 miles of work.

this is what happens when you hire Sam’s club pilots. Kirkland signature minimum, idiots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mst4k posted:

How can you captain a ship if you never hit the bridge?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Captain to the bridge!

No not that bridge!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Those pilots that come in to navigate the local harbor weirdness by memory are apparently paid a poo poo ton for like 2 miles of work.

this is what happens when you hire Sam’s club pilots. Kirkland signature minimum, idiots.

Oh yeah, you make bank as a pilot. Takes many years of training and experience and if you want to work in a specific port you probably need to have gone to school nearby or have some kind of in. But then you're working something like six days on, six days off schedule and the master probably knows what he's doing anyways so you might get to just sit there.

Some captains are also pilots for a region the ship so at a certain spot in the voyage he just starts making extra money for doing the same job.

Or I could be wrong, it's been a while and rumours and all that.

I've also heard that back in the days of yore if the pilot crashed the ship the owner was allowed to hang them, because there was a scheme of pilots wrecking ships near towns so locals could salvage the cargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
All the Lloyds Names spit-taking first thing this morning