Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Maybe the maintenance guys weren't on the frequency and the cops didn't get a call out to them.

This was a huge problem when my town was evacuated two wildfires ago. Amateur radio operators wound up relaying messages to coordinate police, fire, ambulance, and hotshot crews. Since then, they (finally) all got on equipment that can interoperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

This could've gone a lot worse if it had happened during rush hour.

Dang, good call.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kinda looking like the split second decisions made were good; at least, as good as could be reasonably expected. The NTSB report should be super interesting, for us fans of crash investigations who will remain interested until 2025 when it is released.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

NYTimes posted:

“It’s difficult to overstate the impact of this collision,” Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg said

I feel like that's somehow an understatement.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Mobs don't become a mob until you get them together.

I don't know how I'd been on the Internet for this long without fitting in that puzzle piece. It's just mobs forming, on a bigger scale, but at a slower speed. Seems obvious now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Isn't the mason dixon line east-west?

THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Log082 posted:

And with boats that travel in the sea... C... for Catwoman!

Seriously. 1960s Batman detective thinking was meant to be amusingly puerile, not a playbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

UPDATE

The bridge is still down.

Heard it on the news this morning, pretty reliable source.