Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, 2am on a Tuesday is probably one of the better times for a catastrophe to strike but holy loving poo poo. I can't even imagine how long it'll take to dredge the wreckage out, much less build a new bridge. Is this something the federal government can assist with?

Yes

https://twitter.com/SecretaryPete/status/1772551277441888348

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I feel like maybe it should take more than a light swat with a newspaper to make your bridge over a major shipping route fall down. but as already established itt, i'm an idiot.

The newspaper:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mozi posted:

not sure why anyone is saying this given we know the ship was having issues with losing power

The guy in the video above suggested that the ship may have just drifted along its intended course under the main channel of the bridge had they not reversed the engines when it woke back up.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but with no instruments to tell you your intended path, what would you do? Assume you won't hit the bridge or try to avoid hitting the bridge altogether by throwing it into reverse?

Yeah totally not throwing blame at all, hitting all the brakes you have seems like the best solution to a layman like me. just more of a potential possibility that tragically did not occur

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Christ I thought you were posting that someone had made an NFT of it already

Man. I don’t think I’ll ever forget my wife waking me up to tell me the loving Key Bridge collapsed. It didn’t seem real. Still doesn’t

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe if the fenders were built out far enough it could have slowed it down and taken the brunt of the damage to where at least maybe it wouldn’t have been a square hit to the support? I don’t know.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The_Franz posted:

There already is a tunnel under that river.

Two, in fact

And they are about to get an insane influx of traffic which was already bad

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hanover St bridge is definitely a real piece of poo poo and probably should get double checked if it’s gonna have an influx of traffic now

It’s kind of cool looking though, I always liked driving over it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

He was literally elected you racist rear end motherfuckers

I am so glad to be off of Twitter today

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

there's literally nothing in that video that's even remarkable except that the mayor is young and black. just a plainly racist tweet

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it is a real shame that ship just didn't continue on its path when it first lost power. not sure what caused it to turn but drat

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I alway felt like the Key Bridge was kinda out of the way. probably made more sense when Bethlehem Steel was a major employer in the area

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it owns that they'll take Literally Anything as confirmation that they're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Laura is right, adversaries knew our national security hinged on the nation's access to Dundalk