Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m guessing the bridge is very old?

Never been to B-more but I seem to recall seeing very similar bridges around Newark and the general New York area so hopefully this was a freak tragedy and they haven’t accidentally found the “one simple trick! Engineers hate them!” of bridge destructions.

I'm not sure "drive large vehicle into structure to do a lot of damage" is a trick that needed to be found, we've known how effective it can be since at least 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Giza plateau is 60m above sea level, I think the damage by the container ship will be dwarfed by the damage done by facilitating the experiment in the first place.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying we'll need a second mop and bucket afterward

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Earwicker posted:

the ship could be dropped from above, the hard part is getting all those cargo containers to stay on it as it falls

I can't imagine basic gravity being any rougher than the North Atlantic, and between bolts and straps and insurance we've reached an acceptable attrition rate for that route. I say go for it as is.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

6 missing, two living people recovered , one seems to be in rough shape at Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma, the other refused treatment. Crew was repairing potholes. There was some warning and attempt to get people off and prevent them from going on to the bridge but things happened very fast. All from governors press conference.

Imagine being on a bridge that fell down and being like nah I’m good with the hospital ima head home.

Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma sounds expensive, and presumably there's a sudden drop in the amount of work available for bridge span maintenance guys, so it's probably a good idea to sleep on it and see how they feel tomorrow.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Also the farther out you build the fenders the wider they've got to be, which makes the channels narrower and harder to navigate.

Ultimately the best system would be a serious of undersea tunnels to ship cargo - I know this guy Elon who has a company that can help.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I could've stopped the boat.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

tractor man posted:

i heard the bridge fell because of wokeism? anyone else heard this?

Yeah this would never have happened if they'd elected mothman as mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Instead of a full bridge could they just do a big ramp so vehicles can jump the shipping channel?