Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
gently caress this is so much worse than I thought. I thought the ship hitting and it collapsing happened within seconds/minutes of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Celexi posted:

why were there first responders on the bridge after the ship had already collided with it and some cars fallen down?

To rescue people that might still be on the bridge.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m guessing the bridge is very old?

It got hit by a container ship. I'm going through my head for a list of things human kind has built that could be hit by a container ship and survive - Maybe the pyramids?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/bgatesisapyscho/status/1772575297369518093?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Even allowing for potentially sped up footage, that thing came down fast.

And ofc the Alex Jones-esque conspiracies are already underway.

Get off twitter/what the gently caress kind of lunatic commentary is that? It looks nothing like it almost hit it on purpose.

What it looks like is that it completely missed it until the very rear end of the stern hit it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Sobolb6c4&t=173s

This is the video posted a few posts above timestamped just before the impact.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a couple of truck drivers that are going to be all over the news today but it looks like the bridge was totally clear, at least in one direction.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Look at all that black smoke from the ship.
Somebody on the bridge was awake and scrambling to fix the situation.
The VDR bridge transcript is going to be an interesting read.

This photo is from 2001. Such a unique approach coming in from the west side; "here's what your bridge toll is for, behold!".

I hate "hill" bridges. There's one in my home city that's filled me with dread since I was a child. It's the idea of reaching the crest of the bridge to find nothing there on the other side.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

brugroffil posted:

Nah it hits it dead on with the bow of the ship

e: conspiracy stuff is dumb but this wasn't a tap with the rear. Full frontal collision.

Oh my god! You're right. When I saw it first I thought I thought I was seeing the silhouette of the ship pass behind the pylon, but it's the other way around. WTF.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

500excf type r posted:

Funky to see, plunky to sea

Just fyi if this is a joke about my intelligence I don't get it for obvious reasons.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This could have been so much worse had it been crewed by a FOREIGN crew trained to HIT obstacles.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
SMH the Greek wasn't Greek. That's like the only think we know about him!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Inspired. Poor Baltimore, that show really hosed its reputation forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

smoobles posted:

what is the difference between a sex arse and a lust bum, before I place my order

A lust bum is an inferior Welsh brand of sex arse that squeaks like a dog toy when you hump it.