Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I used to take that bridge daily and man it’s tall as gently caress. It feels like you are driving into the sky as you get onto the truss part. I can’t imagine how horrifying that must have been for the people on it. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Large cargo ships loving things up is funnier when they're sideways in major trade routes rather than when they're collapsing bridges and killing people. They should do more of that.

We had one of those too not long after the Suez Canal one in the bay just south of Baltimore, I went to gawk at it from a local park. I don’t think I’ll be doing that this time.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

This could've gone a lot worse if it had happened during rush hour.

There was an entire work crew still on the bridge doing regular maintenance. In my experience driving past work crews on the key bridge this is usually painting and rust removal. It seems unlikely there was a closure since the crew wasn’t evacuated. Just “lucky” it was late at night.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

dr_rat posted:

And risk mummies talking over Baltimore????

Yes.

The rats will take care of the mummies no problem I’m unconcerned.

From an acquaintance who works in the harbor-
“Its local Baltimore port hired people who pilot the ships until they get to the Bay Bridge(further south of Baltimore in the bay) - the cargo companies are not allowed to self pilot in our harbors. The pilots that move these cargo ships through the harbor are extensively experienced in navigating through those specific waters and have been cleared through the federal TWIC issuance process.

From what I can gather, the ship hit a rock wall coming out of port and sustained a hull breach. Subsequently they had a total power loss. They did try to send an emergency alert indicating a hit was imminent so they could get people off the bridge and stop people from getting on, it just all happened so fast. It looked like a direct hit because the ship tried to execute a turn when power was lost and it cut their ability to continue the turn or perform further evasive maneuvers.”

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

goatface posted:

They'll find another port. Your sex arse might be a bit late.

I think we need to all sit down and think about the poor Sri Lankans that have to go without high quality Baltimore made sex arses.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
6 missing, two living people recovered , one seems to be in rough shape at Johns Hopkins Shock Trauma, the other refused treatment. Crew was repairing potholes. There was some warning and attempt to get people off and prevent them from going on to the bridge but things happened very fast. All from governors press conference.

Imagine being on a bridge that fell down and being like nah I’m good with the hospital ima head home.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I was wondering "why weren't there any structures to prevent a ship from even hitting a bridge support column?" I went looking around and shockingly few bridges in/around major ports have barriers around their support columns. Looks like the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge into NYC has it's support columns in shallow water (it's also a suspension bridge). The Golden Gate has a barrier, but even if there are barriers I guess there's little anyone can do to stop a container ship that large from hitting a support column.

There were some basic walls around the pylons but I mean is it even possible to build anything strong enough to stop something that big?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

We’re trying to stop boats not store our grain buddy

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Lamar Jackson quarterback of the Baltimore ravens kept saying his catchphrase Big Truss and now this happens to our big truss bridge. We need to find out what he knew and if he was trying to warn us.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Please don't make a movie after this with Marky Mark as the protagonist.

*heavy Boston accent* we have to get these sex assholes to Sri Lanka I don’t give a drat about no bridge

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Forget fenders were mountin rail guns to every bridge in America bb. Next time some Sri Lankan motherfuckers want to play well show em.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Mr trashwheel has his work cut out for him for awhile. Poor guy.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The tunnels still have some road work going on in the toll plazas and on 95 I believe. So basically we have 695 west which is way the hell out of the way, the two tunnels that can’t take many trucks or any hazmat and I suppose there’s also the Hanover street bridge on 2 but that’s also kind of out of the way and goes right into a fairly truck unfriendly part of the city.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Xerol posted:

The hanover street bridge is another disaster waiting to happen. I wasn't a huge fan of driving over the key/bay bridges but the hanover street bridge is a straight up nope from me.

They did some work on it from 2019-2021 but yeah it’s old and it’s a mess. Also you have to drive through Brooklyn which is good if you want fentanyl and bad if you want your car to have a functional suspension from all the pot holes.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

AndrewP posted:

Hanover St bridge is definitely a real piece of poo poo and probably should get double checked if it’s gonna have an influx of traffic now

It’s kind of cool looking though, I always liked driving over it

I had to walk across it once because traffic for the ravens Super Bowl celebration thing was so bad. It was weird being able to see the water through holes in the bridge lol

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Baltimore used to be the number one exporter of high quality American made sex arses. But then the silicone mines out Pittsburgh dried up and the private equity firms started making them oversees. My grandfather bought a rowhome in Brewers Hill working down at the sex rear end factory, his dad too. The last one closed back in 86, but they say sometimes when the wind is right and the tide is low you can still hear the sound of flesh on plastic, pumping away into oblivion.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hazo posted:

Can somebody explain the “sex arse” thing?

Sometimes people buy sex toys to have sex with. In this case it is a small portion of the human body that includes the genitalia, a bit of torso, a butt and a small section of leg.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Wizard Master posted:

I actually think the loss of human life and psychological/emotional impacts thereof is more important the the logistical issues with regards to supply chains etc. that are inevitable with an event of this magnitude

I really feel for the road workers and their families in this state right now, just a year ago 6 workers died on the other side of 695 because two idiots couldn’t share the road and decided to go drive 120 mph trying to pass each other directly into a construction zone.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Vegetable posted:

Collapsed bridges are how new bridges get built

You have to fertilize the bay floor with bridge to make sure a new bridge grows back. It’s nature.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Build the bridge at sea level. Then build a ship elevator with a fun slide for the ship to go back down.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

biznatchio posted:

It's Baltimore. Just leave the ship parked and everything of value will be gone by morning.

I bought this rudder straight cash I don’t have to answer for poo poo. $12,000 on Facebook marketplace must pick up.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

500excf type r posted:

It was like 45 billion newtons of energy, loving " errant ship" like it's a little dinghy

I’m fairly sure it woke me up and I’m a couple highway exits from the bridge.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Such a big boat

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Three Olives posted:

1 left against medical advice, presumably because they are undocumented and/or terrified about the cost of treatment, so not a great outcome on that one.

You are probably right and it’s so loving sad

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I guess one of the containers that fell off the ship was full of fur pelts because they are washing up everywhere this morning. There’s about to be some thrift stores and pawn shops full of some nasty rear end fur.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

At some point in the process of rebuilding that bridge, we're going to find out that the dude who the bridge was named after, was a sex pest, racist, anti-gay or some other poo poo like that and then the new bridge will be named after a woman, someone not white/heterosexual and then it will be "THEY DESTROYED CANCELLED THAT BRIDGE DUE TO WOKENESS AND NOW ITS NAMED AFTER A NON-WHITE/HETERO/MALE PERSON CAUSE WOKENESS THERE EVEN CANCELLING ARE BRIDGES NOW FIGHT THE WOKE-UPATION** OF 'MERICA!!!"

pronounced "woke-you-pay-shin"

Don’t read the rest of the Star spangled banner poem (the defense of fort m’henry) lol

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hazo posted:

Elon is push-notifying posts like this, from insane right-wing q conspiracy loons :waycool:

It would be hilarious how wrong they are about almost everything they say about the bridge and the conditions at the time if it weren’t so loving stupid. The part about how the key bridge only has construction at night made me laugh. I’ve been stuck in one lane traffic behind a semi struggling to climb that bridge at rush hour so many times.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hazo posted:

That’s literally the only correction in the “Readers added context” section

And not, like, literally everything else hilariously crazy and wrong in the post.

What are you talking about, after the crash since I’m below the mason dixon line I immediately have strong opinions about states rights and that contemptible fool Abraham Lincoln.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Medullah posted:

This poo poo is crazy. People are crazy. Social media was a mistake.

lol I made the mistake of opening Facebook for the first time in like 6 years and the first post was some dumb gently caress I used to work with complaining that his cruise was being canceled or changed and he said they should just send in a ship to “plow over all the bridge debris and clear a path” and that Biden was to much of a bitch to do it and Trump would have had the harbor open yesterday.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Earwicker posted:

well yes, but thats eactly what spread this poo poo. giving people with paranoid conspiratorial beliefs a community full of people telling them their beliefs are correct and that they are finally hearing "the truth" is exactly what leads to destabilizing events like jan6 and the militia movement the various shootings by paranoid assholes in the last many years and whatever is going to happen next time

Don’t u understand that Joe Budden did 3/26

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Earwicker posted:

lol yes geocities was notorious for being full of completely sane websites and an utter lack of whackjobs, basic html is clearly an impenetrable barrier conspiracy theorists cannot cross :rolleyes:

Yeah but they were mostly funny grandpa yelling about 8 dimensional bathrooms was good for a sensible chuckle, grandpa storming a pizza place looking for slave children is less so

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

Has anyone said that if Baltimore had been a Russian city it would now be called blyat-imore?

Suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat cyka

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mr Teatime posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I8F7GZnERNU&si=zn9hl4-NBL3LfXn5&t=34

It did not.

Ps we had to have a meeting on our bridge where they forced the entire crew to stand there and watch this entire video. Should’ve scuttled the ship there and then.

Have you considered boating less poorly?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Log082 posted:

As someone who grew up in Sparrows Point which is basically south Dundalk I really want you to understand how hard this made me laugh.

I demand access to the back river and women with 90s haircuts.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Why make a tunnel (old tech, more or less a cave) when you can make a bridge to the future?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Navigable_aqueduct

lol I had friends that would steal the salt from roadside storage buildings to make money in Baltimore, if you put ships at robbery accessible levels next to a major highway someone’s going to be pawning entire containers.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

GolfHole posted:

did they fix the bridge yet

People always forget to spay and neuter their bridges

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

biznatchio posted:

It won't take 10 years. It'll be rebuilt in 18 to 36 months.

That and I’m sure they’ll establish a ferry for appearances alone

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

500excf type r posted:

Does Reckless Ric's still exist in glen burnie

If you are talking about reckless Rick’s in point pleasant it’s some rams head dockside crap now

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
We took all the leaning scramble addicts and piled them up into a bridge they will literally never fall down. I have never seen a motherfucker leaning fall down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sophy Wackles posted:

Goon project: bid for a contract to rebuild the bridge.

Someone go find taxman’s spine, I have an idea.