Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Just behind the bridge there are some pylons for what I guess is an elevated power transmission line. After the bridge goes down you can see the red flashing beacon of one pylon still on. Those pylons were protected from ship collisions with substantial barrier islands at the base. They're hexagonal concrete things visible on google maps.

Not visible on google maps are any similar protective features around the Key Bridge pillars. The central span is held up between what resembles two large concrete A-frames, the foundations of which appears to have (had) no surrounding protective features all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Really wild how such a large piece of infrastructure can just cease to exist in ten seconds.

I once lived in DC area and used that bridge many times. I always liked the approach from the West / DC side where the road comes in at an angle so you could see the monstrosity you're about to cross. Sad to know it's gone. RIP to the yellow vest dudes who were in those vehicles. I expect a WTYP infrastructure episode in the immediate future.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

git apologist posted:

was the captain vaxed?

you're not asking the right questions.

was the captain trans or soft on border issues?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Look at all that black smoke from the ship.
Somebody on the bridge was awake and scrambling to fix the situation.
The VDR bridge transcript is going to be an interesting read.

This photo is from 2001. Such a unique approach coming in from the west side; "here's what your bridge toll is for, behold!".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Brogeoisie posted:

That's why you have pilots. I don't understand how a ship like this didn't have pilots or redundant power systems. Feels like a massive failure on the shipping company

do you mean tugs? pilots don't uh independently power the ships they're temporarily in charge of.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
if he had gone a lil faster maybe the bridge would have ended up balancing on the container stack like a neat magic trick.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

bolind posted:

My armchair analysis:

The ship knew some minutes ahead of time that they were experiencing power issues, and warned the authorities. The bridge got closed for traffic, initially left-to-right, and, just in the nick of time, right-to-left. The "only" vehicles on the bridge at the time of collapse were emergency vehicles.

This could've gone a lot worse if it had happened during rush hour.

The bridge vehicle strobes are amber, more consistent with some kind of maintenance crew than cop cars. Also the cops would have been blocking the bridge from the nearest exits / turnoffs at both ends.
Maybe the maintenance guys weren't on the frequency and the cops didn't get a call out to them.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

smoobles posted:

captain's goin to jail

Singapore registration, he'll get caned first

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
maybe if we made things simpler and fabricated them locally out of stuff that could be sourced nearby
and reused things instead of buying new things each year
and generally didn't rely on buying things so much
perhaps there wouldn't be so many bridge demolishing ships in the harbor.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Fishy Flip posted:

Found some aftermath close-ups.

looks like all empties.

america is no longer the sex arse export giant it once was.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
listen, we can settle this without insurance getting involved.
Here's 100K from the captain's safe, we ok?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

GolfHole posted:

is the boat ok

the bit of roadway draped across its bow looks like it needs resurfacing.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Chief McHeath posted:

i’ve got a deadline to get 40,000 sex arses to the distribution center in Harrisburg by EOD and they’re all stuck in the harbor now god damnit!

During the great Berlin Blockade our fearless grandfathers managed to get critical supplies through with an improvised air bridge.
Is this generation up to the challenge?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

tractor man posted:

i heard the bridge fell because of wokeism? anyone else heard this?

the bridge pillars was made from the flimsiest pronouns you can imagine.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

mllaneza posted:

I like that they got the easily-checkable fact wrong. The ship did in fact have a harbor pilot aboard.

Untrue. It had two of them.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Hazo posted:

Elon is push-notifying posts like this, from insane right-wing q conspiracy loons :waycool:

but it's true. The US has effectively been cut in twain by this precision attack by singaporean chinamen. It is no longer possible to transport hazmat materials across the Mason-Dixon. Unless you take a detour and use the northern ringway loop. It's 10 miles longer than the now-interrupted southern loop via I-695.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

The ship's crew is supposedly all indian, but the registration is Singaporean so probably officers speak a rich mixture of Singlish and subcontinent English with beautiful rolling "R"s. Legible enough for most americans. Below deck probably some of the crew mostly prefer to use Punjabi or Hindi.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
it seems kind of dangerous how the ships can just move freely any which way they please inside the harbor.
maybe they should be put on hidden underwater rails like the steam boat in disneyland.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Athas posted:

I can't believe all of USAs cargo traffic went over a single bridge in Baltimore.

It may be not all lost though. The Lewis & Clark inland expedition sent a missive via friendly injun couriers, and in the hinterland territories north and west of Baltimore they have apparently uncovered a hitherto unknown alternate I-695 route.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

100 tons tho!

that's like 4 full shipping containers.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Serak posted:

Those electrical pylon barriers are not nearly big enough to have protected them from a ship of this size, and installing something on the bridge pylons that would have would be an immense structure
Not saying it shouldn't have been done though - there aren't many places in the world that would put a bridge with exposed and vulnterable pylons in the middle of what I understand is a major shipping channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ9lhqqxpo0

this guy bridges

and if he's right, Mayland DOT is at least partially culpable for being neglectful in not installing barrier protections for such infrastructure. Was it ineptitude or a dysfunctional state or city government unable to secure funding, or did they not even have commissioned studies done for such upgrades? Surely a fading empire if true.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
maybe each shipping container should be its own ocean crossing amphibian autonomous vehicle, have they thought about that????

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Log082 posted:

Anyway, I went down to tradepoint atlantic while I was visiting family over the weekend and grabbed a few pictures. This one turned out the best:

the bridge still looks terrible TBH.

LordArgh posted:

didn't know elon musk posted on the forums

what gave it away? :hehe: I didn't mention rocket powered or bullet-proof even once.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

wesleywillis posted:

Hey Elon, you think that a Cyber Cuck TRVKKKK could just like pull that boat out of there so they can get rid of the old bridge faster?

LOL

Of course not. The thing is hopelessly beached and the hull looks compromised. But I bet I could grift the Biden admin for another cool stack of billions by announcing a sky crane company copy-pasting JPL's thing they used for landing the Mars rovers except with like electric turbine engines. Hell, I'll call them hyperjets or skyLoops or some poo poo. I mean the fools bought my loving cartoon starship as a component of the Artemis moon mission, LOL! Total utter clown admin. I can claim the sky cranes are super necessary lifters needed to peel the containers off the ship and also lift bridge components in place much faster than you know the ordinary floating cranes they'll have to use eventually. But I'll have fun in the meantime burning $$$$$.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Fog? That's what the government wants you to think

in actuality grey goo nanobots.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

The Lone Badger posted:

It’s a fixed seed. The bridge would still collapse.

that's superdeterminism at work.

it's depressing in a way because there is no better timeline.

all of experience is a 4D crystal. what we perceive as choices and decisions in reality amounts to nothing more than an endless cascade of causes and effects slowly unfolding.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
They've already removed some of the wreckage and there's now a channel open for canoes and dinghys to pass. The port is practically open again.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
maybe hazardous cargo doesn't need to cross anyway. Couldn't they just keep that hazardous stuff on one side or the other?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Vegetable posted:

This makes me think the solution should be for bridges to have cannons so they can sink wayward ships

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

GABA ghoul posted:

So if the crew is found liable then they would have to pay for the bridge rebuilding out of their own pockets?

1 billion hours of community service, to be paid over 3 generations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
I hope they decide to just turn the crossing into a scenic ferry route instead where you can have a margarita on the top deck and you know take a quiet minute to enjoy the moment.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Bad Purchase posted:

the bridge was in this country illegally

the bridge was federal overreach.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

wesleywillis posted:

I heard that one of the janitors on the boat smoked a joint a couple years ago so it was probably him that caused it.

The MSM has been completely silent on the outcome of the boat's drug test too.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

goatface posted:

They refuse to release the 3D printers with fumes safe for a studio because they know it would shut down global commerce.

it's already possible to 3D print sex arses, so I'm not sure why we even need these boats anymore.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

dsf posted:

CONFIRMED: the bridge was vaxxed

MRNA shedding caused the shidding of the boat's engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Why not just get a hover conversion done to your lame bridge-dependent ground car? It's TYOOL 2024 for gently caress's sake.