Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rise of the Ronin is Team Ninja's latest character action RPG. Set in the early Bakumatsu period of Japan, you control a ronin who is thrust in the middle of a power struggle between anti and pro-Shogun forces. Okay, that's the back of the box summary. If you want to know what any of that means I've got you covered.

So what is this game?
Have you played Nioh 1 or 2? Wo Long? Strangers of Paradise: A Tale of Chaos? Then you have a basic idea of what a Team Ninja game is. It has very slick and mechanically deep combat with lots of loot and lots of build potential. Here, it isn't much different. You still get loot drops, though not as severe in previous titles, a wide array of weaopns to choose from and combat that requires you to dodge, block, parry and dodge. The main difference in this game is that it's an open world game - Team Ninja's first. But fear not, it does occasionally have classic style missions for you to undertake. It also has a story that you can directly influence, characters you can meet and become fast friends, best buds and/or steamy with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JydfazusHfI

An Open World? So, like, Ubisoft icon vomit?
Not quite. If you put Ghosts of Tsushima on one end of the spectrum - a game with minimum icons - then you put an Ubisoft game on the other, this game would be in the middle, leaning towards Tsushima. The overall map is broken up into regions - think of them as levels - each having things for you to do. Collect treasures, take a scenic photos, liberate a town, hunt a fugitive, find a cat. Once you do those things the icons usually disappear. So think of them are pacing icons that point you to where the big stuff is but you won't be finding icons for every small treasure chests that is littered throughout the country side. It's not like an Ubisoft game where you just collect things for a reward at the end or for the sake of collection. Each thing has a gameplay function that is either immediately apparent or unlocks it later on. It's the kind of game where the more you put into it the more you'll get out of it.

There are three major hub areas: Yokohama, Edo and Kyoto. You get around them on foot, horse or a gilder you unlock in your very first story mission after the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=int3aDF_M2A

What's this about cats?
You find cats and collect them by petting them.

Can you pet dogs too?
Yes.

So how does this game differ from previous Nioh titles?
I'm glad you asked, me talking to myself. If you've played Wo Long you'd remember that instead of stance switching like in the Nioh games you could do martial arts that add spice to the combat. This game combines all those elements. Instead of stance switching you do style switching and each style has its own martial arts associated with it. So you can have three styles, each with completely different movesets and up to 12 different martial arts per weapon - 4 per style. For you super duper Nioh fans who lust after that fine stance switching, the pre-order bonus style Nioh-Ryu, does have stance switching mapped to the martial art buttons (press to change stance, hold to do them move while changing stance). It's the only one that does this.

On top of all that here's a small breakdown of combat elements:

Stance Types are like a rock, paper, scissors mechanic. Some stances are strong against certain weapons while weak towards others. When you're in a stance that's stronger you'll take less physical and ki damage while dealing more physical and ki damage. If you have one that's weaker it's the opposite.
Counterspark is this game's version of parry. However it also has unique functions depending on the stance. Some have powerful follow-up attacks after parrying, others deal a ton of damage to targets that are blocking. Be sure to read the description of them to know when to use them in and in what situation.
Blade Flash is this game's version of Ki Pulse. You press the button after attacking and then your character flicks the blood off their blade and you get some Ki back. For those who don't know Ki is this game's version of stamina, which goes down for every action you take. Unlike Ki Pulse, you do not get all the Ki you've used up back. The more your blade is bloodied the more you get back. The game wants you to back off and be less aggressive than in previous titles, though it is entirely possible to be ultra good at the combat and not need to do this. More than any of the previous games, finding openings then exploiting them for big damage is what gets you the bread.
Grappling Hook: you get a grappling hook that you can use inside and outside of combat. It feels really good to use. To use another game comparison: it feels as good as Sekiro's to use. Like that game it does require you to find grapple points, but they are well telegraphed; each with a light source, often a candle, next to it. In combat, it's another tool in your arsenal. It can be upgraded to use for stealth kills - pulling enemies up to you or down from their perches, in combat it can be used to pull enemies towards you to close the distance, pull enemies towards you to then throw at their friends, picking up certain objects in the area to throw at them - such as exploding barrels, stealing their healing items they are about to use, ect.
Stealth. You saw right. This game has a really good, though sometimes finicky, stealth system. It wants you to stealth. More than fair shaire of missions are structured like stealth missions, requiring you to make your way from one point to another. It's very much an immersion sim because you can crawl through holes in the wall to your target instead of taking the front door. There's no fail state for not doing the stealth perfect. It's a stealth until you can't sort of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCW4HkZHP6Y

Story and companions
You know that anime Demon Slayer? Yeah, it's a pretty cool show. But it has nothing to do with this game or time period. Anyway, the game takes place during a massive social upheaval in Japanese history. Being a filthy gaijin I've only absored this history through cultural osmosis but it nonetheless makes for a compelling setting if you looked into it even a small amount. Youu play as someone with no political affiliation. Over the course of the game you can do missions for the Pro and Anti-Shogun factions. The former being people who want to keep the old, repressive power structures in place while opening the borders to foreign powers. The later are people who want the Shogun gone and give all the power to the Emperor while closing their borders once again and expelling the foreigners from the country. So it's not as cut and dry and you'll see how one side is a really repressive entity while the others are xenophobic.

The companions you meets, I think, are all historical figures. These are the folks you'll be forging bonds with. You ever want to see how Matthew Perry beats up bad guys alongside you? You can invite him on a mission with you. How about doing a double stealth-kill with Ryoma Sakamoto? Sure! Unfortunately, at least where I am in the game, they do not follow you around in the open world. I don't think this will ever be the case but I'll update this part if someone who has beaten the game tells me.

Each companion can be showered with gifts, invited to missions or be agreeable in conversations to raise their bond level. Their bond level unlocks stat points, new stances and stance levels, outfits, accessories and unique weapons. At certain points and certain companions you also get Favor. This is where the "fast friends, best buds and/or steamy with" part comes in. You can romance anyone if you choose to. I don't think any of this is gender locked, but I've not gotten that far yet. They're all pretty compelling characters and well written. Some are more jovial than others and you can't help but like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2CnAN77-4

Character creation
This game has you create a character of your own - two in fact. You are creating Blade Twins - two characters bound to each other and act as one in clandestine operations. You can choose their gender (feminine or masculine) and alter every aspect of their being. Every part of the face and body can be changed to your liking. The only downside is that the voice is body-type locked. Outside character modification, all clothing is gender-neutral so you can dress up in all the pretty kimonos, western clothes, armor as you see fit. Most clothing starts out as a set but when you redesign them (change their appearance) they become modular so you can use the top of one set and the bottom of the other. Here, let me breakdown just the sheer amount of dress up you can do:

Main categories: Head, body, arm, foot, accessory, armor set, weapon.
Each category is broken down into types (in order from top to bottom): kasa, headband, mask, cap; torso, tops, undergarments, bottoms, belts, outerwear; gauntlets, gloves; sandals, shoes, boots; face: glasses; neck: neckties, scarves; torso: cloak, large Japanese belt.

Online Play
You can play with your friends or strangers in the segemented missions you occasionally get to do. These are like your traditional Nioh and Wo Long missions albeit in a much smaller scale and uses parts of the open world that they close off. Outside of that you do not run around with your coop buddy or anyone else. However, you occasionally see their characters wandering around that you can fight to get some of their equipment, tied up in bandit camps that you can free and will help you clear them out (and reward you with some of their equipment).

Is this game for me?
Rise of the Ronin is like a Team Ninja greatest hits. It takes elements from each game they've made and put it all into one game that works really well. If you've had issues with any of their games, especially the loot system, then this game won't do anything to change your mind. If you've been Team Ninja-curious then this one is probably the one to go with.

Got any examples of the combat in this game?
Here you go: https://twitter.com/GameBreakerGod/status/1775082281687744987

The game is out now on the Playstation 5
Rated M for Mature. Not grandma safe.

Playstation Store Page

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Reserving this spot for DLC and other stuff.

Also, this was my first OP. Please let me know if I should add anything or what have you. Enjoy!

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Great OP! In spite of me having 2 other huge RPGs I want to finish I had to get this because I've loved every Team Ninja game. Having a blast so far.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I don't know how I'll feel about it later on, but I really like that parry is a for real attack of its own. It does make timing it kinda funny sometimes because I think it is keyed more to the animation of each specific parry.

Also being able to auto aim sub weapons if you want is so cool. And using a revolver as part of your combat flow is cool as hell. Haven't gotten a bow yet but I can't wait to try that with stealth.

The hook, imho, is the biggest change to the standard Team Ninja combat.

As someone who likes, but never seems to fully click with their games, I enjoy this a ton even without having opened up the combat through alternate styles and skills. Most importantly, it gets the feel of one on one sword duels right. Wouldn't say it is as tight as Sekiro, but based on my limited time I would say it is closer to that than anything else I've played that attempted it.

And since you're fighting human opponents almost entirely, you get a lot of fun duels.

Also this more than any other game really has me hyped for what kinds of weapons and tools they could add through dlc. Considering their track record with post release support I'm optimistic.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 26, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rise of the Ronin has ended up being way better than I was expecting!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This game is very good and the crazy bastards managed to combine some of the elements of Sekiro, Tsushima and Nioh.

Mission 3 boss is kicking my rear end.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 26, 2024

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Great OP, read the whole thing. Lol’d a few times. Thanks for the effort.

Will pick this up a bit later but I have a feeling I’ll like it despite being open world. TN’s combat is just that good usually.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I beat the mission 3 boss with 2 npcs and sheer luck but it caused me endless amount of grief. There's something I'm missing because I'm constantly out of ki and blade flash either restores only small amount of it or the boss immediately counters and destroys my ki if I miss one block.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

This game is very good and the crazy bastards managed to combine some of the elements of Sekiro, Tsushima and Nioh.

Mission 3 boss is kicking my rear end.

That makes me so excited to play this.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Game is very good. Clang clang gameplay

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Intrigued by the idea that there's more holding back and timing, interested to see how that goes. Loved Sekiro and really enjoyed Wo Long, but I come into games like these by way of Monster Hunter. I'll probably pick this up to see how it plays and then post in here whenever I'm stuck because bitching online is the best way to beat a boss.

Incidentally I read in the Wo Long thread that there aren't like, magic things or monsters - what does that mean for boss fights? Almost all the Wo Long fights are like huge dudes or monsters, Sekiro too, does that make these bosses just kinda strong hard dudes like Genichiro or Sword Saint?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only real complaint about the combat is that it has the tightest parry window I've ever seen. Sekiro may as well let you parry attacks the moment they start, regardless of where the weapon is. Fighting Genzui in the dojo is like having teeth pulled. He attacks at least ten thousand times a minute and never uses ki. So good luck parrying his thousand attack combo. You can't attack in that because immediately after parrying his attacks, if you get that lucky, he recovers immediately then launches into his attacks again. Also attacking drain 1/5th of your ki bar and you need that for blocking or parrying.

I think the dojo sucks in general. Wish Team Ninja would realize that these +1% skills you can unlock are the worst kind in the history of video games. Ones that'd increase the parry window and things that have actual, tangible effects on the game would be far better and useful.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 27, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

Intrigued by the idea that there's more holding back and timing, interested to see how that goes. Loved Sekiro and really enjoyed Wo Long, but I come into games like these by way of Monster Hunter. I'll probably pick this up to see how it plays and then post in here whenever I'm stuck because bitching online is the best way to beat a boss.

Incidentally I read in the Wo Long thread that there aren't like, magic things or monsters - what does that mean for boss fights? Almost all the Wo Long fights are like huge dudes or monsters, Sekiro too, does that make these bosses just kinda strong hard dudes like Genichiro or Sword Saint?

The game doesn't acknowledge it but a lot of things defy reality like you can just straight up shoot energy waves from your sword or do impossible ninjutsu teleportation. And you might run into bosses that are comically huge or use steampunk tech

But as far as I know no monsters or magic.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Jimbot posted:

Only real complaint about the combat is that it has the tightest parry window I've ever seen. Sekiro may as well let you parry attacks the moment they start, regardless of where the weapon is. Fighting Genzui in the dojo is like having teeth pulled. He attacks at least ten thousand times a minute and never uses ki. So good luck parrying his thousand attack combo. You can't attack in that because immediately after parrying his attacks, if you get that lucky, he recovers immediately then launches into his attacks again. Also attacking drain 1/5th of your ki bar and you need that for blocking or parrying.

I think the dojo sucks in general. Wish Team Ninja would realize that these +1% skills you can unlock are the worst kind in the history of video games. Ones that'd increase the parry window and things that have actual, tangible effects on the game would be far better and useful.

I like the dojo. When you finally get 7000+ points in a fight, you feel like a parry god.
Some fights are notably easier than others though. Took a while to learn the fight with the double red attacks you have to perfect counterspark before you can hit back.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The counterspark timing doesnt feel too bad but unlike Sekiro, you get one chance and if you mess up the timing you eat poo poo because you can't spam the parry input. This makes it really tough to parry long combos and enemies use different movesets so its not easy to memorize them all.

I still like this game a lot. And I highly recommend getting the "boring" skills like "use X % less Ki while blocking" because those help a lot in actual combat.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is a “Ki blaze”?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Someone might correct me but I think that's a mechanic that gets explained later when it is actually introduced.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I respect how fluffy the cheeks of the Pilgrim Dogs are.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Post your ronins

I tried making Toshiro Mifune looking guy which is debatable but still turned out pretty good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Made the same character I make in all these games. Came out looking good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How does this Blade Twins thing work? Is it like creating your pawn in Dragon's Dogma and you get a custom sidekick or are you making two PCs to swap between?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Crowetron posted:

How does this Blade Twins thing work? Is it like creating your pawn in Dragon's Dogma and you get a custom sidekick or are you making two PCs to swap between?

You're making two characters, one of which becomes your protagonist during the intro sequence, and the other disappears from the story after the events of the intro. While it hasn't happened yet in my game, the other Blade Twin probably rejoins the game as an NPC later on.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Also you get a choice between which one you want to be the protagonist at the point that becomes relevant, you don't just default to Blade Twin 1.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Fired this up last night and already having a ton of fun. I do think the leveling system is kinda clunky though; I really liked how they did it in Wo Long with the elemental affinities, but having stats conflated with the skill tree is strange to me.

Also, no I don't want a camera mode tutorial mission please just let me go stab people again.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Folks should explore around the Shiba area. You'll know where that is when you get there.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Pomeron posted:

Fired this up last night and already having a ton of fun. I do think the leveling system is kinda clunky though; I really liked how they did it in Wo Long with the elemental affinities, but having stats conflated with the skill tree is strange to me.

Also, no I don't want a camera mode tutorial mission please just let me go stab people again.

Dont overlook photograph missions tho. Usually you just take photos and then you can stab people.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Dont overlook photograph missions tho. Usually you just take photos and then you can stab people.

I was very pleased that actually getting the camera involved a bunch of stabbing. The completionist in me will probably take all the photos.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

You're making two characters, one of which becomes your protagonist during the intro sequence, and the other disappears from the story after the events of the intro. While it hasn't happened yet in my game, the other Blade Twin probably rejoins the game as an NPC later on.

Adding onto this to say that the Blade Twin is a soft intro to the partner system which is genuinely novel for this type of game.

When you have a partner with you, blade twin or otherwise, you can seamlessly swap to them mid-fight. So you can ki dump, swap, and continue the offense. It’s like an action-based, fully realtime take on what FFVII Remake/Rebirth is doing and it’s loving awesome.

Jimbot posted:

Folks should explore around the Shiba area. You'll know where that is when you get there.

I don’t know if you’re referring to this, as I’ve not encountered them yet but there are hidden things totally unmarked on the map. And they are very cool. Spoilers if you want a hint:

Look for trees with white ribbon on them and pay close attention.

Overt spoiler:
These ribbons mark hidden cave entrances that have mini bosses you get good loot from and also style expansions if I understand correctly. Three hidden bosses per act.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I’m regretting getting DD2 over Ronin to be honest. DD2 is fine but Ronin does look like something I’d enjoy more I think.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'll wait for some patches before I consider DD2. This game seems more complete at the moment.

Are you guys going pro- or anti-shogunate? I'm naturally more inclined to go anti and fight America but the pro side has the hot geisha and the guy who will give you the iaido style, according to some guide I read.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Broader internet’s been losing its mind comparing DD2 and RotR and I think it’s mostly fruitless and silly but I do have a thought about it.

DD2 is extremely memable. It also had a cult following foaming at the mouth for a sequel well before it was announced. It also also has a very outspoken director with idiosyncratic notions that are divisive to say the least. Capcom also has stupid MTX strategies they’ve done for years and years and people like getting mad online.

Put all that in a pot and you have a kinda backward-looking, self-referencial, idiosyncratic game with clippable YouTube friendly content, stir in some outrage, and Bob’s your uncle. Instant notoriety.

A well-made, workmanlike game like Ronin can’t really compete with that, even though imho Ronin is not only the better game but is intensely creative and forward-looking in some key ways.

e: Oh, and Ronin shot itself in the foot far as marketing went. It got a lot of negative buzz up front from a bunch of outlets, not in the sense that it was a bad game, but in the sense that it was run-of-the-mill, and tbh, if you’re an overworked journalist or YouTuber needing to stay on top of the content grind I can see how you’d come to that conclusion. Game does not put its best foot forward. It really does feel like Wo Long redux initially. I get why people fatigued with open worlds and people that didn’t dig Wo Long were apprehensive. hope they come around though.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'll wait for some patches before I consider DD2. This game seems more complete at the moment.

Are you guys going pro- or anti-shogunate? I'm naturally more inclined to go anti and fight America but the pro side has the hot geisha and the guy who will give you the iaido style, according to some guide I read.

Story spoilers on faction alignment: The iaido guy is neutral (he's fascinated by Western science but hates the shogunate), and as for the hot geisha, you can fix her (sorta) if you go anti-shogunate.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think I care much for counterspark. The timing on bosses, especially these mid-game bosses, is just too much for my reflexes. They attack so often and have flashy attacks that I can't keep up when to do it. This also have so many variations that looks similar that when I think I have the timing down they do something else. It's far too punishing when you miss it. It's a free hit and you can't course correct like in Sekiro. Also this isn't me being a silly person and trying to parry during one of their thousand-hit combos either, it's me missing on the last hit or unable to tell which combo they're doing because of how flashy and hard to read it is.

Works fine against mooks but bosses still wreck me and I only seem to win because I smash that healing button rather than any kind of skill I had during the fight. It feels awful. This is for mid-game bosses (it's probably only going to get more difficult from here) and every fight against your sword twin. I just can't keep up with those combos.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I don't think I care much for counterspark. The timing on bosses, especially these mid-game bosses, is just too much for my reflexes. They attack so often and have flashy attacks that I can't keep up when to do it. This also have so many variations that looks similar that when I think I have the timing down they do something else. It's far too punishing when you miss it. It's a free hit and you can't course correct like in Sekiro. Also this isn't me being a silly person and trying to parry during one of their thousand-hit combos either, it's me missing on the last hit or unable to tell which combo they're doing because of how flashy and hard to read it is.

Works fine against mooks but bosses still wreck me and I only seem to win because I smash that healing button rather than any kind of skill I had during the fight. It feels awful. This is for mid-game bosses (it's probably only going to get more difficult from here) and every fight against your sword twin. I just can't keep up with those combos.

What difficulty are you on? My understanding is that Dawn increases the parry window. I’d intended to scale up from Dawn if I got bored, but tbh I like the tuning on it. It’s not exactly hard, but it does punish the kinds of things a game like this should punish. Don’t fight big groups, don’t overcommit, etc. But I’ve found the parries manageable. I still wanna try the higher difficulties, but I’ve heard people are struggling with the parry window and I wonder if it’s poorly tuned as you go up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm on Dusk. I'll probably turn it down to Dawn as I think the game is outpacing my ability. I hope it doesn't affect loot quality. Also, all this might it be old man yells at clouds for passing by sort of thing on my part. I just feel like it's way too tight and punishing for the amount of relentless combos you have to deal with. Like I said, they can get up to Sekiro-levels of bananas. It's like they made burst counters a necessary part of a fight instead of an added bonus for doing it correctly. Trying to beat bosses through attrition makes them a lot harder and protracted.

After working through my thoughts on the system, more than anything else, it makes me feel like a baffoon who only won due to heal spam. I beat the boss that spurred that post but I could not tell you its pattern, when the best time to parry due to attack signifiers nor could I get any timing down. Let me tell you, that feeling is awful. Never have I once felt this way in any previous Team Ninja game. Did I get frustrated at some bosses? Sure. Probably even made me angry post about them. But never did I once feel like I was dying because I didn't know what their pattern was or when to use a burst counter. It was mostly me not tuning my reflexes to those patterns. It felt like a problem I would eventually solve by practice and nailing the patterns and timing and, when I did, it'd feel great like I just overcame a hurdle through practice and grit. That boss fight I just beat? Nothing. I won by accident, failed backwards into victory. I hate that I beat something hard but don't feel anything but that I lucked into it. I don't even have that feeling of "well, I never have to do that one again" some people get when beating a tough boss.

I just feel frustrated and that's an awful feeling to have.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My experience on Dusk is usually that, the first time I fight someone, I have roughly that experience, and then on subsequent encounters with that boss I have more of a hang of what I have to do. Also, I don't think you're intended to counterspark every single attack/combo string a boss puts out; Genzui's quick double-strikes are better dodged away from and punished from the back or the side, for example. I am in no way a Team Ninja game Perfect Parry expert, however, so I have no expectation from myself that I'm going to achieve a skillful or elegant victory.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh yeah, that's not me either. It's just that fight, and a couple others like it, just made me feel frustrated after defeating them. Even the ones that whooped my rear end harder than these from previous Team Ninja games I could at least tell you their patterns and force my old man reflexes to adjust and get the windows of attack opportunities down. I can't even do that with some of these fights. Nothing was learned for a later encounter nor any kind of genuine achievement regardless if I used up healing or not. But yeah, I agree, I learned early on that counterspark anything mid-combo was a fool's errand - it's not for me. But some fights just end with me "when was I ever supposed to counterspark?"

Edit: I just want to be clear that this just in case it got lost in my rambling nonsense: this is mostly for some bosses. Mooks have patterns I can see, understand and react to. Anytime I miss a counterspark I can go "oh, mucked the timing on that one" because those fights gave me time to understand what just happened. Some bosses here immediately start attacking again before I can get an idea of what the heck. Of course, maybe this fight and a couple of others are the hardest fights in the game. It's not the first time this game has some ridiculous and weird difficulty spikes. The two bosses that made me feel like this were (mid-game spoilers) that lady with the Ivy sword whip who puts poison on everything. The one before this one was the guy with the sword and gun style that shot a grappling hook and fire and all that poo poo.

Another one, I just remembered, was a fugitive with a heavy sword in the first chapter that was harder than anything in that entire chapter, including every boss you fight. That piece of garbage just kept doing unblockable after unblockable with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes he'd do one that chased you around the entire arena, others he'd leap, others he'd zip across the arena to stab you. It was awful.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 29, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I feel ya dude.

Team Ninja always makes combat systems that are fun to control, but I feel like they’re never as like… finely hoaned as something like a Sekiro for a poor comparison. It’s the Gaiden legacy showing through imho, and I dunno if you played Wo Long but once TN leaned into the red attacks and parrying those, I feel like they’ve done a less-than-great job tuning the AI in its use of those attacks. Like the thing that makes this game better than Wo Long to me is the wider breadth of options, but sometimes those baddies just go fuckin unga on you and you have to ride out the spam. Just my take as someone that’s not great at any these games, but eh.

And like I dunno some people overstate the value of perfect competence.

This is one thing I’ve always liked about From’s stuff in comparison. Like that knight miniboss in DS3 in that hallway with the elevator. I love learning bosses and I love getting good, but for whatever reason when I saw that guy, it was late I was tired, I aggroed his rear end and let him fall down that elevator shaft and never looked back. Lucking into or cheesing a win is still a win. Game will always be there, and your ability can only get better with time. You know?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pistols and shuriken are pretty good for wearing down bosses you're having trouble with, incidentally. They don't do all that much health/ki damage, but it adds up and it's safer than moving into stabbing distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just started this after beating DD2. I am :stoked:

Very early initial impressions: goddamn did I miss 60fps. It feels so much better it's ridiculous.