Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I switched over to Dawn and haven't looked back. It's not easy but it's not frustrating, either. Now I just feel like I'm kinda being railroaded towards the anti shogunate faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am glad the devs realize what the players want and gave it to them very quickly the glider

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Learning the counterspark timing takes times but then again I spent hours on the final boss of Sekiro and now I can comfortably beat him in one go.

Once you get upgrades under your belt, ki management becomes easier and you don't necessarily need to counterspark everything a boss throws at you.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The blade flash is essential for staying on the offensive. Not only for ki management but to cancel the recovery of your combo enders. With it you don't even have to parry that much.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Story spoilers on faction alignment: The iaido guy is neutral (he's fascinated by Western science but hates the shogunate), and as for the hot geisha, you can fix her (sorta) if you go anti-shogunate.

Thanks, that settles it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was days old when I discovered if you hold R1+R3 to shealth your weapon, they'll swing the blood off of it in unique animations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah and as a nice touch they won’t do it if it’s clean.

Also found out there’s gestures you can do if you hold start.

Also also you can pick pocket people, and if you pick pocket one of the wandering player character ronin apparently you get some pretty nice stuff.

I really love those little challenges on the map that want you to deplete someone’s ki as opposed to just killing them. Such a neat touch to encourage people to engage with the mechanics.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fists and wooden weapons count as non lethal weapons. It reminds me of Metal Gear Rising, which also had a wooden katana for no kill runs

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Fists and wooden weapons count as non lethal weapons. It reminds me of Metal Gear Rising, which also had a wooden katana for no kill runs

As the game tells you, you can buy wooden/non-lethal versions of every weapon type from the faction bases in your region, if you're short on ways to take people down cleanly. The Anti-Shogunate faction only sells Japanese weapon types to start with, predictably, but soon expands to offer the full arsenal as you continue the story.

Incidentally, which weapon types are you folks vibing with? The stat progression being tied to skills means there's relatively little point in worrying about builds and scaling, and you can and should try anything and everything until you find your faves.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

As the game tells you, you can buy wooden/non-lethal versions of every weapon type from the faction bases in your region, if you're short on ways to take people down cleanly. The Anti-Shogunate faction only sells Japanese weapon types to start with, predictably, but soon expands to offer the full arsenal as you continue the story.

Incidentally, which weapon types are you folks vibing with? The stat progression being tied to skills means there's relatively little point in worrying about builds and scaling, and you can and should try anything and everything until you find your faves.

I'm just using whatever has the biggest attack numbers right now. One weapon that hasn't clicked with me at all is the greatsword. It is very very slow. Everything else is fun enough to use.

If I had to pick right now, I'd say polearms, sabers and dual katanas are my favorites.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do like dual swords. I'm with Musashi on this one - if your warrior caste carries a pair of blades as a badge of their rank, why not use both at the same time?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Katana and polearm.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Odachi and fists. Just punching some bosses over and over is pretty fun

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Oxtail Blade and the Saber are tons of fun. Really great movesets. Old faithful, the katana, gets a lot of use too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The Oxtail Blade and the Saber are tons of fun. Really great movesets. Old faithful, the katana, gets a lot of use too.

Yeah, don't sleep on the Oxtail Blade. Its moveset is an impressive balance of grace and viciousness.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Some of the dual sword's finishing moves cut off the head and both limbs at the same time leaving a bloody stump. It's great.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I switch the difficulty down to Dawn due to those aforementioned difficulty spikes and it's like the parry window doubled - it's kinda bananas. I wish that were the case in Dusk because Dawn may be a bit too easy but then again I haven't fought any new bosses yet so maybe I will and be like "oh, okay, lowering the difficulty was the right move."

One thing I wish this game's character customization did that Saint's Row did was have a sock slot so you could fine-tune your character's look. In this setting it makes absolute sense. When I found the shinobi socks I got excited because it was different from dirty white or dirty black. The green and flowered up white ones are fine and dandy but they just don't go with some outfits. Not a fan of those black ones with the white vines on them because they have this sheen to them that look weird. If I'm going to decide the fate of Japan I want to look good while doing it, dammit. That slot has always been a problem to match with some outfits.

I'm really impressed with the Edo map. It's really dense and has a lot of detail put into it. I didn't expect to explore so much of it - it feels like a city. I thought I'd be in another map with open fields and only explore a small portion of it. Nope! I don't quite understand the faction mechanic, though. Its explanation was pretty poor and there's no real indicator which area belongs to who after I do some stuff in it.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm playing on Twilight and also get old man syndrome sometimes, but one thing I've found that's helpful is that the style you learn from Ryoma has a double spark mechanic. Two chances to get it right! Combat feels fantastic other than the red attack windows being a single millisecond so I don't want to lower it. I'm into level 16 stuff now.

I was a Katana User Only until I got a strength-scaling Polearm and I'm very much in love with that now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How is the iaido style, anyway? I could try it out more, but it's in direct competition with Hokushin Itto-ryu, and I want to show solidarity with my bro Ryoma.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I switch the difficulty down to Dawn due to those aforementioned difficulty spikes and it's like the parry window doubled - it's kinda bananas. I wish that were the case in Dusk because Dawn may be a bit too easy but then again I haven't fought any new bosses yet so maybe I will and be like "oh, okay, lowering the difficulty was the right move."

One thing I wish this game's character customization did that Saint's Row did was have a sock slot so you could fine-tune your character's look. In this setting it makes absolute sense. When I found the shinobi socks I got excited because it was different from dirty white or dirty black. The green and flowered up white ones are fine and dandy but they just don't go with some outfits. Not a fan of those black ones with the white vines on them because they have this sheen to them that look weird. If I'm going to decide the fate of Japan I want to look good while doing it, dammit. That slot has always been a problem to match with some outfits.

I'm really impressed with the Edo map. It's really dense and has a lot of detail put into it. I didn't expect to explore so much of it - it feels like a city. I thought I'd be in another map with open fields and only explore a small portion of it. Nope! I don't quite understand the faction mechanic, though. Its explanation was pretty poor and there's no real indicator which area belongs to who after I do some stuff in it.

I have very few complaints with the game overall, but the story/faction stuff/dialogue system would be one. It’s the only thing they added that sort of detracts. I’m always game for a developer to push beyond their comfort zone, cause an interesting miss is still interesting, and having alternate missions and stuff is really cool, but eh. This bit seems somewhat half-baked to me. English VO is also horrendous, but I find it charming in a bad ‘70s cinema way.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Yeah I'm about 80% through my Edo collectathon and the faction-controlled region thing has only come up in that like 2 bounties had a green or purple icon next to their names. I might be locking myself out of faction progression but I absolutely have no idea, as far as I can tell it has zero impact.

Playing on Twilight and lightning/paralysis grease seems completely OP. It seems that it procs for a very small window immediately after a sneak attack, and then procs again fairly soon. So if you're quick enough, can get 3 criticals, which goes most of the way to taking down vigilantes 4-5 levels above mine.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

The more I play this game, the more I think it might actually share Game of All Time status with Elden Ring.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Weapon update: I am really loving the bayonet. It's fun to have the option to fire bullets when performing your martial arts, especially since sometimes the enemy gets pushed just slightly out of reach for the last hit. Or you can chip them out.

But really I love it because the finishers are really funny and brutal. Sure I just stabbed you in the chest, but I better shoot you in the head to make sure.

Pomeron posted:

Odachi and fists. Just punching some bosses over and over is pretty fun

I am liking fists too when the game asks me to use non lethal options. I wonder if they are actually viable. Feels like they are and they do pretty good ki damage. Fists seem to love to push enemies just out of the palm blast range so I whiff that one all the time. But if you get an enemy against a wall or something where they won't be knocked out of range, you can deplete their ki super fast.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Started this last night and I'm digging it. The cats are easily my favorite video game collectable (although I wish there was a way to tell from a distance if they're one of the ones you have to sneak up on). Muscle memory from Nioh means I keep ending my combos with triangle and trying to parry with block, so I've gotten my rear end kicked a few times, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Sometimes gear I pick up is locked by default. Is that just because it's a high rarity or should I avoid selling those even if I have something better already?

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Are the graphics as bad as everyone has made them out to be? I've read reviewers mention that it doesn't look as nice as Ghost of Tsushima, and that it looks pretty bad for a PS5 game. I've seen pics of the game and it looks nice to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crowetron posted:

Started this last night and I'm digging it. The cats are easily my favorite video game collectable (although I wish there was a way to tell from a distance if they're one of the ones you have to sneak up on). Muscle memory from Nioh means I keep ending my combos with triangle and trying to parry with block, so I've gotten my rear end kicked a few times, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Sometimes gear I pick up is locked by default. Is that just because it's a high rarity or should I avoid selling those even if I have something better already?

Hardest part for sure. I still keep hitting the wrong buttons when I should've hit Triangle. Though from what I've seen there's no downside to just keeping L1 (block) held down at all times.

John Yossarian posted:

Are the graphics as bad as everyone has made them out to be? I've read reviewers mention that it doesn't look as nice as Ghost of Tsushima, and that it looks pretty bad for a PS5 game. I've seen pics of the game and it looks nice to me.

Honestly, no. The game isn't a graphical showcase, but it's not ugly either. imo it looks better than Dragon's Dogma 2, which seems more blurry by comparison.

And don't forget this is 60fps while Ghost and DD2 are 30fps. And 30fps is kinda generous for DD2 lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 1, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The "graphics bad" is an over-exaggeration. It's the kind of graphics from a team known for smaller, denser areas making an open world game with a reasonable budget and not working their employees into dust. It's the kind of graphics you'd find in the kind of "B" games people pine for. They're good, not great, not phenomenal and certainly not bad or terrible. Though I'd put the character models in the "very good" category. But that's a Team Ninja staple at this point.

Speaking of which, here's a screenshot dump of my character posing over the landscape in the various outfits I made:

"You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good."

First cryptid sighting.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

So I just got to Edo and unlocked the Testament of the Soul — is there an easy way to see which missions have alternatives or a decision point? Is it just any mission with an affiliation color?

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Great pics there!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am liking fists too when the game asks me to use non lethal options. I wonder if they are actually viable. Feels like they are and they do pretty good ki damage. Fists seem to love to push enemies just out of the palm blast range so I whiff that one all the time. But if you get an enemy against a wall or something where they won't be knocked out of range, you can deplete their ki super fast.

I've been taking on many of the act 2 bosses fists only, so definitely viable, but I'm also a bit overleveled. The ki damage doesn't seem as good as a regular weapon, but decent nonetheless. Been doing a rhythm of deflect/counterspark until pressured -> attack -> attack -> ki attack -> blade(hand?) flash -> repeat, and it seems to keep enemies in range albeit slow and steady to stagger.

One minor issue for me is in combining the Nioh-esque missions with open world, I'll come across a cool looking area "oh hey let's explore this mansion" only there's nothing there. It's obviously going to be used for a side quest later but for now no one's moved in. I am currently enjoying that if you knock an enemy into water such that their ki drains before they make it back to land/a boat, they insta-drown.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Tricky posted:

So I just got to Edo and unlocked the Testament of the Soul — is there an easy way to see which missions have alternatives or a decision point? Is it just any mission with an affiliation color?

There's a toggle on the mission select screen of the Testament of the Soul, something like "Timeline View"; I forget what the button press for it is but it basically toggles you to a view where you can see which missions have choices and what percentage of players picked which choice. I only noticed it after I rolled credits so it may be a post-game thing.

Edit: the other slick thing that I forgot about is that if you go back, replay a mission, and pick a different choice, you get the option of applying that choice to your "actual" timeline playthrough or not. (You can' t reselect the other Blade Twin though.)

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 1, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's there at all times. You can also just switch your world state on the fly. It's actually pretty rad. It's not Way of the Samurai timeline tree but it works really well. Changing your decisions mid-playthrough really caught me off guard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

The "graphics bad" is an over-exaggeration. It's the kind of graphics from a team known for smaller, denser areas making an open world game with a reasonable budget and not working their employees into dust. It's the kind of graphics you'd find in the kind of "B" games people pine for. They're good, not great, not phenomenal and certainly not bad or terrible. Though I'd put the character models in the "very good" category. But that's a Team Ninja staple at this point.

The thing is when people say they want AA games, they don't want to pay full price usually for them or want game to launch at lower price. I don't know, I feel like Japanese devs have figured out the sweet balance of budget + scale.

That being said Team Ninja definitely seems like they would benefit from taking 1 year off of game developement to work on their Katana engine.

Since 2019, Team Ninja has released a game every year. Marvels Ultimate Alliance 3, Dead or Alive, Nioh 2, Ninja Gaiden Collection, Stranger of Paradise, Wulong and now Rise of the Ronin. They also get credited in other KT and Nintendo stuff from time to time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I agree. They do have different teams so chances are there'll be another release next year, though. I just hope Rise of the Ronin sold well enough to warrant a sequel. A ton of assets are already built they can move over (outfits and such) so they'd only really need to focus on making some new outfits and building an open world. For a first crack at an open world the game is excellent but I feel like if there were a Rise of the Ronin 2 there'd be a really great refinement of everything and it'd be a Nioh to Nioh 2 situation.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Compared to Nioh I like that there's more casual outfits and not just battle armor. Having separate tops and overcoats is really good feature too.

Of course I refuse to dress up in anything that isn't from Nippon

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Low key my favorite thing about this game is that it can be hard without sacrificing QoL. There are parts that aren’t polished—stealth is pretty jank—but consideration of player experience was obviously a big priority and it shows.

Auto-travel, auto-pickup, subweapon auto aim, Testament of Souls, whole bundle of cam options, button rebinding, on and on. More and more these days I appreciate a developer that knows how to provide this stuff without fuss. It’ll never be a back of the box bullet point, but drat if it doesn’t enhance the game by a lot for me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was not impressed much by the overview trailer but liked the combat trailer a bit more. I am still between getting this or waiting for a sale though. Is there some neat gameplay out there that may push me over the edge?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What sort of stuff about the combat caught your attention?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Combos, and that the Bayonet looked like a fun boomstick.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've seen a couple but this one cuts between different combat encounters that show you what some high-level play looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKIwmkGyTBk

I'm not sure they switch styles but each style tends to have different combos and ethos when it comes to tackling a situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm not as far in as others in the thread but my take on the combat is that within reason it is as deep and flashy as you're willing to allow. You could probably stick to parry, stance changing for advantage, your basic square combo, and occasional stealth and do okay especially on the lowest difficulty. But there are so many tools beyond that. Attacks out of stance swap, attacks out of weapon swap, ranged attacks, grappling hook attacks, the blade flash mechanic, many ways to use sub weapons, etc etc. If you come at it with a willingness to engage with all of it I think you'll have a good time. If you don't, you might be underwhelmed.