Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Folks should explore around the Shiba area. You'll know where that is when you get there.

It was pretty drat cool fighting a very familiar blue-eyed samurai. Looks good for someone who's gotta be nearing his 3rd century? I've found a few others but can't tell (or not paying enough attention) if they're overt references or just playing on a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kn5GFujuA

Somewhat spoilery, but I decided to do internet studying and found to my surprise that almost everyone in this game was a real person, and a few of these events happened, if under slightly diffferent circumstances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kn5GFujuA

Somewhat spoilery, but I decided to do internet studying and found to my surprise that almost everyone in this game was a real person, and a few of these events happened, if under slightly diffferent circumstances.

Most of them are pretty famous, too, which is why the game's story is heavy on ominous foreshadowing and dramatic irony when you know who dies young and messy and who lives to a ripe old age as a hero of the new Japan.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of them are pretty famous, too, which is why the game's story is heavy on ominous foreshadowing and dramatic irony when you know who dies young and messy and who lives to a ripe old age as a hero of the new Japan.

I thought for sure Ryoma Sakamoto the gun-slinging samurai was made up but nope.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's starting to happen. The wizards are mastering the game:

https://twitter.com/GameBreakerGod/status/1775082281687744987

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is pretty badass! I'll never be good enough to pull that stuff off.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SolarFire2 posted:

I thought for sure Ryoma Sakamoto the gun-slinging samurai was made up but nope.

If he was, he definitely wouldn't be in this game, since Like a Dragon: Isshin! had a Sakamoto Ryoma and that's a PS3 game (one of the combat styles Ryoma can use in that game is also sword+gun)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ryoma is actually one of the most famous (story spoilers for the historically unaware) tragic heroes of the era, yes. He shows up in damned near all of the stories about the Bakumetsu period.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really didn't expect tutorial popups during the event chain leading into chapter 2. I guess it makes sense considering there were still locks in the skill tree, but dang.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

I finished the story and this game desperately a new game+ mode where all that carries over are your techniques and maybe inventory space.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pro tip - there's a bug where certain chests (like the one at the Chiba dojo) will come pre-opened, making it impossible to 100% a region and get those tasty, tasty skill points. You can reset those chests to a closed, openable state by replaying the mission that gave you access to that area (like the Demon Belle for the aforementioned dojo) in the Testament of the Soul.

Incidentally, if you want to talk about 'holy poo poo, I can't believe this person was real' characters, how about Koto Nakazawa?

quote:

While Nakazawa Koto worked as a member of the Shinchogumi, she always dressed as a man, even after the officers knew her true identity. In addition to being a great swordswoman, it is said that she had an exceptional beauty that left an impression on many people. A tale written about her says: "When Koto dresses as a man, many women fall in love with her. When Koto dresses as a woman, many men fall in love with her."

Koto was proud as a swordswoman and decided she would only marry a man stronger than she. However, apparently no living man was able beat her in a duel, so she remained single all her life. She died on October 12, 1927. Her grave is located in Tone District, Gunma, where she was born. Many people visit her tomb to this day.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Darth Walrus posted:

Pro tip - there's a bug where certain chests (like the one at the Chiba dojo) will come pre-opened, making it impossible to 100% a region and get those tasty, tasty skill points. You can reset those chests to a closed, openable state by replaying the mission that gave you access to that area (like the Demon Belle for the aforementioned dojo) in the Testament of the Soul.

Incidentally, if you want to talk about 'holy poo poo, I can't believe this person was real' characters, how about Koto Nakazawa?

I fixed an 'opened' chest by replaying the first story mission on the ship using the Testament.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The game is amazing when you finally become really good at the combat. Now I just stroll into public order areas and fight everyone at once while parrying nearly everything.
I started on dusk, dropped it down to dawn pretty quickly while getting acclimated to the controls and combat and then kicked it back up to dusk by level 12 or so. Then I increased it to twilight at level 25.

I do wish there were more sets. I didn't expect a unique set for every single character you become friends with, but I certainly hoped that new sets would be unlocked later on in the game.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
About halfway through Act 3 boss spoiler: No fair, I want rocket boots too!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm dreading going into Act 3 so I'm taking my sweet time in 2. I know all these pals I've been making will end up getting killed because that's what history dictates. And chances are I'll be the one murderizing them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'm dreading going into Act 3 so I'm taking my sweet time in 2. I know all these pals I've been making will end up getting killed because that's what history dictates. And chances are I'll be the one murderizing them.

At least the faction decisions are fairly clear-cut, so you get to choose which friends you'll be murdering and which you'll be simply watching die. :v:

They certainly make the Shinseigumi extremely killable - I did a flagged random encounter in Kyoto where it looked like they'd been loving crucifying some poor anti-shogunate dudes.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 5, 2024

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Well, I can safely say that the game does not really know how to handle you spamming Unearthly Flame with a poison whetstone. Most of the Act 3 bosses died so fast they didn't get through their full dialogue.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am glad the devs realize what the players want and gave it to them very quickly the glider

You mean we're getting a pc port?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now that I'm basically done with the game(just cleaning up quests before the finale), my fav weapons are the bayonet and oxtail blade. The oxtail blade has fantastic animations. I didn't really mess around too much with the katana, dual katanas or odachi.
I fell out of love with the polearm, even though I maxed it along with the bayonet during my playthrough. I like the greatsword a bit more than I used to, though that is all due to it's insane attack stat. Still not a huge fan of the slower weapons in this game and the faster ones seem better in every way.

Has there been any testing done on how much Luck affects droprates(or drop quality)? I went through the whole game using the Fortune set but swapped off recently and it doesn't seem to change much.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah jeez. Act 3 stuff: All my allies are dropping like flies here. The pro-shogunate folks are all "gee wiz, friend, why you leave us? :(", my blade sibling wants to burn everything to the ground and won't listen to reason and everything we do ends in failure! We gotta Return of the Jedi this situation!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im really getting annoyed at dojo fights and bosses in general. It feels like they are so stacked against player while you are struggling with managing your Ki and one mistimed counterspark makes you eat poo poo.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 8, 2024

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I was disappointed in Odachis at the start of the game after planning to pair them with Katanas in a STR build, and I just used Katanas for most of the game with some dabbling in Polearms. Greatswords seemed even worse. Katana was just better.

Now that I'm in the last chapter, however, and have well developed styles and martial arts and decent gear, Odachis are actually awesome. They just delete enemy Ki bars and have tons of arts that are fun to use, especially the Gonzo and Kondo styles.

So I guess this is a PSA. If you, like me, thought that the big weapons weren't worth it early on, try them again when they're more fully kitted out. The Odachi has gone from zero to hero and I only use my Katana at all anymore for the speediest of enemies.

Twilight difficulty fwiw.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Photo mode is so drat good. On top of all the options the frame-by-frame thing is awesome. It lets you get some really good action shots:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Got through about 75% of ch2 on Midnight and realized that I don't actually care. I still really liked the game, but I don't have any motivation for continuing since there are basically no "builds" to make since the set bonuses are pretty lame.
On Midnight difficulty, a bunch of the bosses are borderline unfun due to having their aggression set to 11 and also having massive ki meters. They will randomly turn on hyperarmor and start attacking as well. So you basically have to play the defensive parry game to whittle down their max ki until you can finally kill them. Assuming you don't deplete their hp first.

idk if Team Ninja plans to do dlc, but I hope they add more sets that have actual important set bonuses that change how your build plays.
It would be nice if they offered players the choice of using the hard difficulty parry window across all the difficulties but give dawn and dusk an option to increase it even more if they want. Just so people can get used to "proper" parry timing while playing but aren't immediately killed for loving up. I wouldn't be opposed to having it be more lenient on twilight and midnight too since it seems really tight on some boss attacks.

Overall I liked the game, but I feel like Wo Long had better gameplay. This absolutely had a better story and I was actually interested in where it was going, even though I knew roughly how it ends.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 8, 2024

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
I beat this game the other day on Twilight and dabbled in Midnight for a bit to clean up the remaining achievements, and also had no motivation to stick with it for a second playthrough. It's a shame because I still had a blast playing through the game, but it's probably my least favorite Team Ninja game. A lot of the enjoyment was buoyed by the combat, which is so clean and a great refinement of what they were doing in Wo Long. I probably wouldn't mind the massive ki bars too much because I like parrying, but looking back on it, all the bosses blurred together. On the one hand, I like that they are telling a more grounded story and trying to utilize all these historical events and characters (a big step up from everyone's mutated by magic crystals), but on the other hand, I miss the spectacle of big demons and even the occasional gimmick boss. The game is missing a big Lu Bu or equivalent that really makes you pump your fist in the air when you take em down.

It didn't really help that the whole faction thing and portraying the story through the nameless Veiled Edge is a bit of a mess due to the constant ping-ponging between factions. Too often I'm fighting someone I was best friends with last mission, but it's ok they get away and we'll be best friends again next time. I wouldn't have complained if they just pulled a Like a Dragon: Ishin and had me play as Ryoma the whole time. I think it was also telling how many duo (and occasional trio) bosses get thrown in in the latter half of the game. It's clear that they want you to engage with the companions in-mission, and while I generally dismissed them, I did appreciate that when used they didn't seem to draw all aggro and make it easy mode like in Wo Long. But it does become a repetitive thing of "now fight guy with spear + guy with gun, then fight guy with hammer and guy with claws" etc. I also missed playing with various magic and ninjutsu builds.

Again, very much enjoyed my time with it. It has beautiful settings and there's a ton of great QoL here (auto-disassemble/auto-sell are much needed). But as much as I kinda want to go back and do an oxtail blade playthrough, I also really don't.

Pomeron fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 9, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im still in chapter 2 but so far it definitely looks like they tried to do a more story focused game that's different from their usual Nioh-likes. The skill tree is more similar to other Sony exclusives than Nioh and you seem to max it out fairly quickly at this rate.

I think all the sidequests have been pretty fun and they did a really good job with them. None of them feel exactly the same which shows Team Ninja has some pretty talented scenario designers.

A cool game but definitely not the 100+ hour experience I got from some of their past games

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 9, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think a few of those issues come down to the historical setting and itemization, the later in which I've complained about before. If there's a second game, and boy do I hope there's one, they should really go with wholesale fictional characters representing each faction (like Way of the Samurai) and start the faction stuff earlier. Being a ronin that bounces between them is good but it does feel weird that one moment you're fighting someone over ideological differences then you're pals with them immediately after. The most pushback you get that I saw is that if you go talk to either faction after you make a choice they get moody with you for a few lines of dialogue then act as if nothing happened. It's a gameplay conceit that takes priority over story, which I understand appreciate, but it does feel weird.

I think going the fully fictional route means they can have them react in different ways, kill them off earlier, have the character convince them to switch sides, and all that good stuff. Nothing about the game really has to fundamentally change, it's just they can get to control how many companions there are and focus on quality than quantity. The writing that's there is really good, the best in any Team Ninja game I've played (I have not played Chaos), but it's spread out between 32 different characters. If they even just halved that they'd strike solid gold. I've grown to dislike Team Ninja's itemization. I used to defend it but this game just really shows you how boring and spreadsheet-like it is. Nioh and Wo Long had good set bonuses but even that I can't even defend. The "oh, it doesn't really matter until NG+(+++++)" isn't an excuse to me and the set bonus one isn't one I can get behind even if those bonuses do make a tangible different. Rise's itemization doesn't even have a good set bonus excuse - it's all poop.

I love the game to bits and I even came around on counterspark (though the window is a bit too tight in my opinion) but it does have some issues that they can easily fix that'd make it super good. They could also afford to get silly with encounters. I don't need oni and stuff but having a wider variety of mooks to fight and big guys would be cool too.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 9, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't expect rise of the ronin to get dlc.

All the prior team ninja games sold season passes before the game came out so they had plans but it seems like this one was made to be complete from the start.

I am interested to see what they're gonna make next though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

I don't expect rise of the ronin to get dlc.

All the prior team ninja games sold season passes before the game came out so they had plans but it seems like this one was made to be complete from the start.

I am interested to see what they're gonna make next though.

This one is published by Sony though and they might have different policy. Tsushima dlc for example was announced much later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Two pro tips:

1. Always spare people when the story gives you an option to do so. You'll make new friends and get more toys, and while several of them may seem like horrible jerks, the power of friendship will prevail.

2. You will cap out your stats near the end of the game, but completing the main storyline unlocks a new skill tree for you to spend them on, so don't worry about the forty or fifty skill points you've piled up. They'll come in handy later on. For the same reason, converting special skill points (like strength points) into regular skill points is always a good idea once you've maxed out a stat tree.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished everything in region 1 tonight. But I dont know how much patience I have to do it again for the second region. Feeling like just moving forward with completing the main story and calling it good. Game is great though! I just dont have a lot of stamina for side activities. Maybe at least collect all cats.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It helps to compartmentalize the open world in the way the game does. Just think of it like "Ah, I feel like doing the [region name] level tonight" and just clear out that area. That's how I've done it and haven't felt any kind of fatigue. I also think regions 2 and 3 are much more interesting mainly because they're huge, sprawling cities and feel more alive and have more fun details in them. Feels a lot like Tenchu just running across the rooftops.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

This one is published by Sony though and they might have different policy. Tsushima dlc for example was announced much later.

Probably would be better for Sony to scrap it at this point, I doubt this game sold well. Releasing the same day as DD2 was a horrible idea.

Atleast in Japan it seems to have outsold DD2 so thats nice but looking at Playstation insomniac leaks, they aren't happy unless anything sells 5m. I am sure the budget of this game was much smaller so they could/have potentially breakeven.

I haven't gotten to it due to backlog poo poo but have it and hyped to get to it. I think a easy win for Team Ninja would be just to make Nioh 3 and go completely crazy with the combat/builds.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don’t think Japanese development costs are comparable to America, I suspect they are much lower due to lower salaries

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

To be honest I'm glad Rise of the Ronin came out and that it exists but I hope TN go ahead and start working on a new project. I wonder if it's gonna be a while before we see something new come from them. They stay very relevant with the dlc cycles so for example, stranger of paradise came out in early 2022 then the dlc kept it going until almost 2023, then shortly after wo long came out and the dlc kept it going until almost 2024.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm sure the team that worked on Wo Long are cooking something. I'm looking forward to the DLC because I think Team Ninja is one of the few developers who does it really well. As I said before, I'd love a sequel to this. I really like how they did the open world and this was their first attempt at it. Further refinements and changes would produce something extremely awesome.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I don’t think Japanese development costs are comparable to America, I suspect they are much lower due to lower salaries

Ya that seems to be the case. Also Japanese devs don't seem to be focused on certain elements that make games REALLY expensive like mocap. So they probably cost even less.
This is why Japanese devs are increasing pay instead of doing layoffs like western days, they have much higher RoI on their games.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Do we know if a PC release of this is planned? I'm interested but not "Buy a PS5" interested.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It feels like a sure thing to me, Nioh was like this, PlayStation exclusive and then came to PC shortly after all of the DLC was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It feels like a sure thing to me, Nioh was like this, PlayStation exclusive and then came to PC shortly after all of the DLC was released.

I don't know..Because for the Nioh ip it seems like Koei Tecmo had some different agreement. Koei Tecmo published that ip in Japan and on PC. Also they had lots of the PS4/PS5 trailers on their YT.

For Rise of The Ronin, it's marketing was only on Playstation channel and Playstation published it worldwide.

So if it comes to pc it would be ported by Playstation and they seem picky with what they bring. Hopefully Team Ninja had some agreement they could port it to pc.