Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope so too! I wouldn't mind double dipping on this game if it comes to PC. Sony also had that thing a few months ago where they expressed publicly their desire to bring more of their games to PC. I'm all here for that and hope they are serious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd double dip on the PC too. Game's super good and would love to see it get more of an audience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Almost done with the storyline! But then I still have the main part of the game to complete; collecting all of the cats across all three regions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Act 3: I just did the Ernest Satow fight and holy poo poo

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lots of changes to combat this patch

I redid most of my outfits and decided I wanted to take screenshots of them in action poses. The frame-by-frame photo mode is just too good. Very dangerous for those who want to be good with time management.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Act 3: I just did the Ernest Satow fight and holy poo poo

Can't help but find it hilarious that they made the official First Weeb of the Meiji Restoration so incredibly offputting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Have any of you tried Midnight mode? I keep reading it's like an unreasonably massive difficulty spike from the previous difficulty options. A shame this game doesn't have the kind of NG+ Nioh 2 had, which was awesome because it just felt like another step up in difficulty without being too extreme and you got a whole new level of loot where the stats began to really matter (and you could start building things up). Hopefully that'll be something that's patched in along with better armor stat bonuses from armor. If you're going to have a ton of drops they really need to have good stuff on them!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I did the one Midnight mission for the trophy and didn’t feel like it was going to be worth doing much more than that. Rise’s loot isn’t that interesting, so just playing the game again with jazzed numbers and much tighter timing on everything wasn’t really a draw.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Have any of you tried Midnight mode? I keep reading it's like an unreasonably massive difficulty spike from the previous difficulty options. A shame this game doesn't have the kind of NG+ Nioh 2 had, which was awesome because it just felt like another step up in difficulty without being too extreme and you got a whole new level of loot where the stats began to really matter (and you could start building things up). Hopefully that'll be something that's patched in along with better armor stat bonuses from armor. If you're going to have a ton of drops they really need to have good stuff on them!

I did and got about 2/3rds through Mdnight difficulty before stopping. The reasons were basically what you listed: midnight isn't that fun due to how they tuned it and the loot is boring.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Finally got ahold of Rise of the Ronin, and played a little bit of it last night. Been wanting to play it ever since I found out about it, but I had other things going on that hindered me from ordering a copy.

I spent most of my time in character creation, so I don't have a great handle on it yet. Having played through Nioh and part of Nioh 2 (still need to go back and finish Nioh 2), going through the opening segment (the training section and infiltrating the ship and fighting Matthew Perry), it feels a little wonky in comparison. Could be that it's just been so long since I've played Nioh, and my brain keeps defaulting to the Nioh controls, whereas here it's (by default) mapped differently (with dodge being Cross instead of Circle, and there's now a jump button). The Counterspark system I'm guessing is supposed to be like the parry system from Sekiro. I'm clumsy at it, though the game mentions in the tutorial messages mention to try dodging if you're not confident. I find the deadly attacks are easier to parry because there's a visual cue for them.

I picked the medium difficulty (Dusk), though I almost went with the highest difficulty (Twilight). That might've been a good choice because it took three or four attempts against Perry before I finally beat him, though you can change the difficulty during a playthrough, so I guess if it gets too easy or harder, I can adjust it as needed.

Without getting into spoilers, I'm curious now as to how the character system works, because having to stop just as I finished the intro mission, it seems odd to me that they would have a system where you customize two characters and have a system where you can switch between them, only to immediately kill off the other character. I'm assuming that either the other character isn't actually dead, and comes back later or if they do die, the customization is just so you have a unique character that shows up in flashback cutscenes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A little late but the character does play a part of things but it's also kinda under utilized, in my opinion. One of the weaker parts of the game but the idea is solid, just wish they did more with it. However, it does sort of act as a tutorial on character swapping - something you can do in missions. The combat does take a little getting used to, it's not quite Nioh combat (nothing is, since it's best combat in any of these games) but I enjoyed it immensely with it really opening up as you get more weapons and styles.

The thing to know with counterspark is that you can't spam it. It's a parry that isn't like any kind of parry. You shoot your shot and if you miss you get hit. So yeah, it's best to save it for deadly attacks or the last hit of a combo to throw them off balance.

I finally beat the game last night. I enjoyed it a ton and I'm glad to find out that it's selling well for Team Ninja. So I'm looking forward to the DLC, if there is any, and a sequel, which I hope there is. I truly believe that a Rise of the Ronin 2 will be this franchise's Nioh 2. The complaints about Midnight are well-founded. The jump in difficulty is ludicrous. Everything is far too overtuned and while getting some levels on the recommended for each encounter helps, you still lose your Ki and health bananas fast and enemies are relentless with massive combos.

Still, game's great if you want a comfy open world with fun combat, fun characters and the best character customizer in the industry at the moment. I am kinda baffled they didn't have a sock slot, given the setting. Saints Row had one and it added another layer to the customization which was fun, here it'd be more apparent. Anyway, they continue to tweak everything in each patch so imagine Midnight difficulty and maybe the loot stuff will get better.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In my experience at least on higher difficulties you need to get into habit of parrying full combos so you'll have Ki for counterattacks. I think the enemy stays stunned for longer too but not sure.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, I tried more of Midnight beyond the tutorial mission you can do for an easy trophy and it's not worth it in the least. I took down a couple of bosses but then they decide to put Izo in the level 50 areas of Yokohama and even on lower difficulties he's a piece of garbage bastard. It'd be one thing if the loot in this game was more like Nioh 2's. That game has boring-rear end +2.737234% crap too but it eventually lead to something and the set bonuses were very, very worthwhile. Midnight can't even give you the courtesy of having all drops be Masterwork, especially in missions. On some they are but on most they aren't. Even then all that gives you are extra slots to put more of the worthless +2.9723463% skills in.

Supremely disappointing coming from the people that gave us NG+ on Nioh 2. It was genuinely exciting to go into that mode and find a whole new level of gear that gave you meaningful stat gains (arguably should have been there from the start but whatever) and you could get them from spectres of people who put in the work to make them just right then jumped to their deaths to share them with other people. Can't believe Team Ninja thought this stuff was acceptable.

And this is coming from me, the local Rise of the Ronin cheerleader around here. I'm just dumbstruck at how much I fell off the game after trying this difficulty out. What in the flying heck.

I guess I was hoping for a fun victory lap of sorts but you know, thinking on it, I don't even know the point since the itemization is junk to begin with. I guess number goes up is inciting but it's not really that much either. Sounds like Nioh 2 NG++ would have given me the same issues too from all the response from the reddit, between the worthless "skill issue" and "git gud" posts. Folks who make those don't realize how little anyone cares about them.

A game having a definitive end is a good thing. It's just an expectations from previous games that lead me to believe otherwise. Don't let this post deter any of you from playing, though. This one is mostly on me and me not being that great at parrying (something required at this difficulty) to begin with. If you had a friend to do those missions with then you'd have a good time testing your skills, though.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nioh 1 is the only team ninja game I played all the way to Way of Nioh difficulty.

While Nioh 2 and the rest were really good games I knew exactly what postgame was going to be like so I didn't bother.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Generally two full cycles is enough for me for Team Ninja stuff, though Stranger of Paradise obviously skews things a bit with how they did their DLCs.

Picked this up today after clearing a few other things off my backlog, looking forward to dying horribly in another Team Ninja system!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The only preparation you need for Ronin is steeling yourself for petting every single dog and cat you find.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

The only preparation you need for Ronin is steeling yourself for petting every single dog and cat you find.

I like to think I am up to the task.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Oh, and it's a good idea to go straight for the skill that makes it harder for animals to notice you. It upgrades into letting you pet enemy animals and make them your friends.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Oh, and it's a good idea to go straight for the skill that makes it harder for animals to notice you. It upgrades into letting you pet enemy animals and make them your friends.

The animation for failing to tame miniboss animals is hilarious.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can tell that a big part of the learning curve is going to be properly internalizing the red attacks I should counterspark and the ones I need to just get away from.

Promising start to things, though. And man, Team Ninja does bang-up character creators.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Here's a tip the game never tells you:

When the enemy's weapon flashes white, that's the timing for counterspark

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

WaltherFeng posted:

Unironically: What?!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I know right? When you seen an unblckable attack, most of the time you can just react to the flash instead of guessing the right timing

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Schubalts posted:

I always loved this. Instead of assassinating it, you just sneak up to it and give them scritches - amazing.

WaltherFeng posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdn6wZ6f7Hc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tip on the weapon flash. The timing is still super strict on Twilight but it means I’m not just guessing when the counterspark window occurs.

Really digging this so far. Combat’s great if not to the level of Nioh 2, the panic mechanic is fun (double assassinate turning into triple assassinate because a mook shat himself when his two buddies died within two seconds of each other), and it doesn’t feel too bloated like open worlds often tend to.

Also I just killed a combat skill trainer by countersparking him to reduce max stamina, launching him into the ocean, and watched him drown before he could get back to shore. A+