Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Fired this up last night and already having a ton of fun. I do think the leveling system is kinda clunky though; I really liked how they did it in Wo Long with the elemental affinities, but having stats conflated with the skill tree is strange to me.

Also, no I don't want a camera mode tutorial mission please just let me go stab people again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Dont overlook photograph missions tho. Usually you just take photos and then you can stab people.

I was very pleased that actually getting the camera involved a bunch of stabbing. The completionist in me will probably take all the photos.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Odachi and fists. Just punching some bosses over and over is pretty fun

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Yeah I'm about 80% through my Edo collectathon and the faction-controlled region thing has only come up in that like 2 bounties had a green or purple icon next to their names. I might be locking myself out of faction progression but I absolutely have no idea, as far as I can tell it has zero impact.

Playing on Twilight and lightning/paralysis grease seems completely OP. It seems that it procs for a very small window immediately after a sneak attack, and then procs again fairly soon. So if you're quick enough, can get 3 criticals, which goes most of the way to taking down vigilantes 4-5 levels above mine.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Great pics there!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am liking fists too when the game asks me to use non lethal options. I wonder if they are actually viable. Feels like they are and they do pretty good ki damage. Fists seem to love to push enemies just out of the palm blast range so I whiff that one all the time. But if you get an enemy against a wall or something where they won't be knocked out of range, you can deplete their ki super fast.

I've been taking on many of the act 2 bosses fists only, so definitely viable, but I'm also a bit overleveled. The ki damage doesn't seem as good as a regular weapon, but decent nonetheless. Been doing a rhythm of deflect/counterspark until pressured -> attack -> attack -> ki attack -> blade(hand?) flash -> repeat, and it seems to keep enemies in range albeit slow and steady to stagger.

One minor issue for me is in combining the Nioh-esque missions with open world, I'll come across a cool looking area "oh hey let's explore this mansion" only there's nothing there. It's obviously going to be used for a side quest later but for now no one's moved in. I am currently enjoying that if you knock an enemy into water such that their ki drains before they make it back to land/a boat, they insta-drown.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Folks should explore around the Shiba area. You'll know where that is when you get there.

It was pretty drat cool fighting a very familiar blue-eyed samurai. Looks good for someone who's gotta be nearing his 3rd century? I've found a few others but can't tell (or not paying enough attention) if they're overt references or just playing on a theme.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
About halfway through Act 3 boss spoiler: No fair, I want rocket boots too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
I beat this game the other day on Twilight and dabbled in Midnight for a bit to clean up the remaining achievements, and also had no motivation to stick with it for a second playthrough. It's a shame because I still had a blast playing through the game, but it's probably my least favorite Team Ninja game. A lot of the enjoyment was buoyed by the combat, which is so clean and a great refinement of what they were doing in Wo Long. I probably wouldn't mind the massive ki bars too much because I like parrying, but looking back on it, all the bosses blurred together. On the one hand, I like that they are telling a more grounded story and trying to utilize all these historical events and characters (a big step up from everyone's mutated by magic crystals), but on the other hand, I miss the spectacle of big demons and even the occasional gimmick boss. The game is missing a big Lu Bu or equivalent that really makes you pump your fist in the air when you take em down.

It didn't really help that the whole faction thing and portraying the story through the nameless Veiled Edge is a bit of a mess due to the constant ping-ponging between factions. Too often I'm fighting someone I was best friends with last mission, but it's ok they get away and we'll be best friends again next time. I wouldn't have complained if they just pulled a Like a Dragon: Ishin and had me play as Ryoma the whole time. I think it was also telling how many duo (and occasional trio) bosses get thrown in in the latter half of the game. It's clear that they want you to engage with the companions in-mission, and while I generally dismissed them, I did appreciate that when used they didn't seem to draw all aggro and make it easy mode like in Wo Long. But it does become a repetitive thing of "now fight guy with spear + guy with gun, then fight guy with hammer and guy with claws" etc. I also missed playing with various magic and ninjutsu builds.

Again, very much enjoyed my time with it. It has beautiful settings and there's a ton of great QoL here (auto-disassemble/auto-sell are much needed). But as much as I kinda want to go back and do an oxtail blade playthrough, I also really don't.

Pomeron fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 9, 2024