Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I respect how fluffy the cheeks of the Pilgrim Dogs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'll wait for some patches before I consider DD2. This game seems more complete at the moment.

Are you guys going pro- or anti-shogunate? I'm naturally more inclined to go anti and fight America but the pro side has the hot geisha and the guy who will give you the iaido style, according to some guide I read.

Story spoilers on faction alignment: The iaido guy is neutral (he's fascinated by Western science but hates the shogunate), and as for the hot geisha, you can fix her (sorta) if you go anti-shogunate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pistols and shuriken are pretty good for wearing down bosses you're having trouble with, incidentally. They don't do all that much health/ki damage, but it adds up and it's safer than moving into stabbing distance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Fists and wooden weapons count as non lethal weapons. It reminds me of Metal Gear Rising, which also had a wooden katana for no kill runs

As the game tells you, you can buy wooden/non-lethal versions of every weapon type from the faction bases in your region, if you're short on ways to take people down cleanly. The Anti-Shogunate faction only sells Japanese weapon types to start with, predictably, but soon expands to offer the full arsenal as you continue the story.

Incidentally, which weapon types are you folks vibing with? The stat progression being tied to skills means there's relatively little point in worrying about builds and scaling, and you can and should try anything and everything until you find your faves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do like dual swords. I'm with Musashi on this one - if your warrior caste carries a pair of blades as a badge of their rank, why not use both at the same time?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The Oxtail Blade and the Saber are tons of fun. Really great movesets. Old faithful, the katana, gets a lot of use too.

Yeah, don't sleep on the Oxtail Blade. Its moveset is an impressive balance of grace and viciousness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How is the iaido style, anyway? I could try it out more, but it's in direct competition with Hokushin Itto-ryu, and I want to show solidarity with my bro Ryoma.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kn5GFujuA

Somewhat spoilery, but I decided to do internet studying and found to my surprise that almost everyone in this game was a real person, and a few of these events happened, if under slightly diffferent circumstances.

Most of them are pretty famous, too, which is why the game's story is heavy on ominous foreshadowing and dramatic irony when you know who dies young and messy and who lives to a ripe old age as a hero of the new Japan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ryoma is actually one of the most famous (story spoilers for the historically unaware) tragic heroes of the era, yes. He shows up in damned near all of the stories about the Bakumetsu period.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pro tip - there's a bug where certain chests (like the one at the Chiba dojo) will come pre-opened, making it impossible to 100% a region and get those tasty, tasty skill points. You can reset those chests to a closed, openable state by replaying the mission that gave you access to that area (like the Demon Belle for the aforementioned dojo) in the Testament of the Soul.

Incidentally, if you want to talk about 'holy poo poo, I can't believe this person was real' characters, how about Koto Nakazawa?

quote:

While Nakazawa Koto worked as a member of the Shinchogumi, she always dressed as a man, even after the officers knew her true identity. In addition to being a great swordswoman, it is said that she had an exceptional beauty that left an impression on many people. A tale written about her says: "When Koto dresses as a man, many women fall in love with her. When Koto dresses as a woman, many men fall in love with her."

Koto was proud as a swordswoman and decided she would only marry a man stronger than she. However, apparently no living man was able beat her in a duel, so she remained single all her life. She died on October 12, 1927. Her grave is located in Tone District, Gunma, where she was born. Many people visit her tomb to this day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'm dreading going into Act 3 so I'm taking my sweet time in 2. I know all these pals I've been making will end up getting killed because that's what history dictates. And chances are I'll be the one murderizing them.

At least the faction decisions are fairly clear-cut, so you get to choose which friends you'll be murdering and which you'll be simply watching die. :v:

They certainly make the Shinseigumi extremely killable - I did a flagged random encounter in Kyoto where it looked like they'd been loving crucifying some poor anti-shogunate dudes.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 5, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Two pro tips:

1. Always spare people when the story gives you an option to do so. You'll make new friends and get more toys, and while several of them may seem like horrible jerks, the power of friendship will prevail.

2. You will cap out your stats near the end of the game, but completing the main storyline unlocks a new skill tree for you to spend them on, so don't worry about the forty or fifty skill points you've piled up. They'll come in handy later on. For the same reason, converting special skill points (like strength points) into regular skill points is always a good idea once you've maxed out a stat tree.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Act 3: I just did the Ernest Satow fight and holy poo poo

Can't help but find it hilarious that they made the official First Weeb of the Meiji Restoration so incredibly offputting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Oh, and it's a good idea to go straight for the skill that makes it harder for animals to notice you. It upgrades into letting you pet enemy animals and make them your friends.

The animation for failing to tame miniboss animals is hilarious.