Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I don't know how I'll feel about it later on, but I really like that parry is a for real attack of its own. It does make timing it kinda funny sometimes because I think it is keyed more to the animation of each specific parry.

Also being able to auto aim sub weapons if you want is so cool. And using a revolver as part of your combat flow is cool as hell. Haven't gotten a bow yet but I can't wait to try that with stealth.

The hook, imho, is the biggest change to the standard Team Ninja combat.

As someone who likes, but never seems to fully click with their games, I enjoy this a ton even without having opened up the combat through alternate styles and skills. Most importantly, it gets the feel of one on one sword duels right. Wouldn't say it is as tight as Sekiro, but based on my limited time I would say it is closer to that than anything else I've played that attempted it.

And since you're fighting human opponents almost entirely, you get a lot of fun duels.

Also this more than any other game really has me hyped for what kinds of weapons and tools they could add through dlc. Considering their track record with post release support I'm optimistic.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

You're making two characters, one of which becomes your protagonist during the intro sequence, and the other disappears from the story after the events of the intro. While it hasn't happened yet in my game, the other Blade Twin probably rejoins the game as an NPC later on.

Adding onto this to say that the Blade Twin is a soft intro to the partner system which is genuinely novel for this type of game.

When you have a partner with you, blade twin or otherwise, you can seamlessly swap to them mid-fight. So you can ki dump, swap, and continue the offense. It’s like an action-based, fully realtime take on what FFVII Remake/Rebirth is doing and it’s loving awesome.

Jimbot posted:

Folks should explore around the Shiba area. You'll know where that is when you get there.

I don’t know if you’re referring to this, as I’ve not encountered them yet but there are hidden things totally unmarked on the map. And they are very cool. Spoilers if you want a hint:

Look for trees with white ribbon on them and pay close attention.

Overt spoiler:
These ribbons mark hidden cave entrances that have mini bosses you get good loot from and also style expansions if I understand correctly. Three hidden bosses per act.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Broader internet’s been losing its mind comparing DD2 and RotR and I think it’s mostly fruitless and silly but I do have a thought about it.

DD2 is extremely memable. It also had a cult following foaming at the mouth for a sequel well before it was announced. It also also has a very outspoken director with idiosyncratic notions that are divisive to say the least. Capcom also has stupid MTX strategies they’ve done for years and years and people like getting mad online.

Put all that in a pot and you have a kinda backward-looking, self-referencial, idiosyncratic game with clippable YouTube friendly content, stir in some outrage, and Bob’s your uncle. Instant notoriety.

A well-made, workmanlike game like Ronin can’t really compete with that, even though imho Ronin is not only the better game but is intensely creative and forward-looking in some key ways.

e: Oh, and Ronin shot itself in the foot far as marketing went. It got a lot of negative buzz up front from a bunch of outlets, not in the sense that it was a bad game, but in the sense that it was run-of-the-mill, and tbh, if you’re an overworked journalist or YouTuber needing to stay on top of the content grind I can see how you’d come to that conclusion. Game does not put its best foot forward. It really does feel like Wo Long redux initially. I get why people fatigued with open worlds and people that didn’t dig Wo Long were apprehensive. hope they come around though.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I don't think I care much for counterspark. The timing on bosses, especially these mid-game bosses, is just too much for my reflexes. They attack so often and have flashy attacks that I can't keep up when to do it. This also have so many variations that looks similar that when I think I have the timing down they do something else. It's far too punishing when you miss it. It's a free hit and you can't course correct like in Sekiro. Also this isn't me being a silly person and trying to parry during one of their thousand-hit combos either, it's me missing on the last hit or unable to tell which combo they're doing because of how flashy and hard to read it is.

Works fine against mooks but bosses still wreck me and I only seem to win because I smash that healing button rather than any kind of skill I had during the fight. It feels awful. This is for mid-game bosses (it's probably only going to get more difficult from here) and every fight against your sword twin. I just can't keep up with those combos.

What difficulty are you on? My understanding is that Dawn increases the parry window. I’d intended to scale up from Dawn if I got bored, but tbh I like the tuning on it. It’s not exactly hard, but it does punish the kinds of things a game like this should punish. Don’t fight big groups, don’t overcommit, etc. But I’ve found the parries manageable. I still wanna try the higher difficulties, but I’ve heard people are struggling with the parry window and I wonder if it’s poorly tuned as you go up.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I feel ya dude.

Team Ninja always makes combat systems that are fun to control, but I feel like they’re never as like… finely hoaned as something like a Sekiro for a poor comparison. It’s the Gaiden legacy showing through imho, and I dunno if you played Wo Long but once TN leaned into the red attacks and parrying those, I feel like they’ve done a less-than-great job tuning the AI in its use of those attacks. Like the thing that makes this game better than Wo Long to me is the wider breadth of options, but sometimes those baddies just go fuckin unga on you and you have to ride out the spam. Just my take as someone that’s not great at any these games, but eh.

And like I dunno some people overstate the value of perfect competence.

This is one thing I’ve always liked about From’s stuff in comparison. Like that knight miniboss in DS3 in that hallway with the elevator. I love learning bosses and I love getting good, but for whatever reason when I saw that guy, it was late I was tired, I aggroed his rear end and let him fall down that elevator shaft and never looked back. Lucking into or cheesing a win is still a win. Game will always be there, and your ability can only get better with time. You know?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah and as a nice touch they won’t do it if it’s clean.

Also found out there’s gestures you can do if you hold start.

Also also you can pick pocket people, and if you pick pocket one of the wandering player character ronin apparently you get some pretty nice stuff.

I really love those little challenges on the map that want you to deplete someone’s ki as opposed to just killing them. Such a neat touch to encourage people to engage with the mechanics.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Katana and polearm.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I switch the difficulty down to Dawn due to those aforementioned difficulty spikes and it's like the parry window doubled - it's kinda bananas. I wish that were the case in Dusk because Dawn may be a bit too easy but then again I haven't fought any new bosses yet so maybe I will and be like "oh, okay, lowering the difficulty was the right move."

One thing I wish this game's character customization did that Saint's Row did was have a sock slot so you could fine-tune your character's look. In this setting it makes absolute sense. When I found the shinobi socks I got excited because it was different from dirty white or dirty black. The green and flowered up white ones are fine and dandy but they just don't go with some outfits. Not a fan of those black ones with the white vines on them because they have this sheen to them that look weird. If I'm going to decide the fate of Japan I want to look good while doing it, dammit. That slot has always been a problem to match with some outfits.

I'm really impressed with the Edo map. It's really dense and has a lot of detail put into it. I didn't expect to explore so much of it - it feels like a city. I thought I'd be in another map with open fields and only explore a small portion of it. Nope! I don't quite understand the faction mechanic, though. Its explanation was pretty poor and there's no real indicator which area belongs to who after I do some stuff in it.

I have very few complaints with the game overall, but the story/faction stuff/dialogue system would be one. It’s the only thing they added that sort of detracts. I’m always game for a developer to push beyond their comfort zone, cause an interesting miss is still interesting, and having alternate missions and stuff is really cool, but eh. This bit seems somewhat half-baked to me. English VO is also horrendous, but I find it charming in a bad ‘70s cinema way.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Low key my favorite thing about this game is that it can be hard without sacrificing QoL. There are parts that aren’t polished—stealth is pretty jank—but consideration of player experience was obviously a big priority and it shows.

Auto-travel, auto-pickup, subweapon auto aim, Testament of Souls, whole bundle of cam options, button rebinding, on and on. More and more these days I appreciate a developer that knows how to provide this stuff without fuss. It’ll never be a back of the box bullet point, but drat if it doesn’t enhance the game by a lot for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm not as far in as others in the thread but my take on the combat is that within reason it is as deep and flashy as you're willing to allow. You could probably stick to parry, stance changing for advantage, your basic square combo, and occasional stealth and do okay especially on the lowest difficulty. But there are so many tools beyond that. Attacks out of stance swap, attacks out of weapon swap, ranged attacks, grappling hook attacks, the blade flash mechanic, many ways to use sub weapons, etc etc. If you come at it with a willingness to engage with all of it I think you'll have a good time. If you don't, you might be underwhelmed.