Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This game is very good and the crazy bastards managed to combine some of the elements of Sekiro, Tsushima and Nioh.

Mission 3 boss is kicking my rear end.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I beat the mission 3 boss with 2 npcs and sheer luck but it caused me endless amount of grief. There's something I'm missing because I'm constantly out of ki and blade flash either restores only small amount of it or the boss immediately counters and destroys my ki if I miss one block.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

Intrigued by the idea that there's more holding back and timing, interested to see how that goes. Loved Sekiro and really enjoyed Wo Long, but I come into games like these by way of Monster Hunter. I'll probably pick this up to see how it plays and then post in here whenever I'm stuck because bitching online is the best way to beat a boss.

Incidentally I read in the Wo Long thread that there aren't like, magic things or monsters - what does that mean for boss fights? Almost all the Wo Long fights are like huge dudes or monsters, Sekiro too, does that make these bosses just kinda strong hard dudes like Genichiro or Sword Saint?

The game doesn't acknowledge it but a lot of things defy reality like you can just straight up shoot energy waves from your sword or do impossible ninjutsu teleportation. And you might run into bosses that are comically huge or use steampunk tech

But as far as I know no monsters or magic.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The counterspark timing doesnt feel too bad but unlike Sekiro, you get one chance and if you mess up the timing you eat poo poo because you can't spam the parry input. This makes it really tough to parry long combos and enemies use different movesets so its not easy to memorize them all.

I still like this game a lot. And I highly recommend getting the "boring" skills like "use X % less Ki while blocking" because those help a lot in actual combat.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 27, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Someone might correct me but I think that's a mechanic that gets explained later when it is actually introduced.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Post your ronins

I tried making Toshiro Mifune looking guy which is debatable but still turned out pretty good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Pomeron posted:

Fired this up last night and already having a ton of fun. I do think the leveling system is kinda clunky though; I really liked how they did it in Wo Long with the elemental affinities, but having stats conflated with the skill tree is strange to me.

Also, no I don't want a camera mode tutorial mission please just let me go stab people again.

Dont overlook photograph missions tho. Usually you just take photos and then you can stab people.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Learning the counterspark timing takes times but then again I spent hours on the final boss of Sekiro and now I can comfortably beat him in one go.

Once you get upgrades under your belt, ki management becomes easier and you don't necessarily need to counterspark everything a boss throws at you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fists and wooden weapons count as non lethal weapons. It reminds me of Metal Gear Rising, which also had a wooden katana for no kill runs

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Some of the dual sword's finishing moves cut off the head and both limbs at the same time leaving a bloody stump. It's great.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Compared to Nioh I like that there's more casual outfits and not just battle armor. Having separate tops and overcoats is really good feature too.

Of course I refuse to dress up in anything that isn't from Nippon

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im really getting annoyed at dojo fights and bosses in general. It feels like they are so stacked against player while you are struggling with managing your Ki and one mistimed counterspark makes you eat poo poo.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 8, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im still in chapter 2 but so far it definitely looks like they tried to do a more story focused game that's different from their usual Nioh-likes. The skill tree is more similar to other Sony exclusives than Nioh and you seem to max it out fairly quickly at this rate.

I think all the sidequests have been pretty fun and they did a really good job with them. None of them feel exactly the same which shows Team Ninja has some pretty talented scenario designers.

A cool game but definitely not the 100+ hour experience I got from some of their past games

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 9, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

I don't expect rise of the ronin to get dlc.

All the prior team ninja games sold season passes before the game came out so they had plans but it seems like this one was made to be complete from the start.

I am interested to see what they're gonna make next though.

This one is published by Sony though and they might have different policy. Tsushima dlc for example was announced much later.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

In my experience at least on higher difficulties you need to get into habit of parrying full combos so you'll have Ki for counterattacks. I think the enemy stays stunned for longer too but not sure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nioh 1 is the only team ninja game I played all the way to Way of Nioh difficulty.

While Nioh 2 and the rest were really good games I knew exactly what postgame was going to be like so I didn't bother.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Here's a tip the game never tells you:

When the enemy's weapon flashes white, that's the timing for counterspark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I know right? When you seen an unblckable attack, most of the time you can just react to the flash instead of guessing the right timing