Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just started this after beating DD2. I am :stoked:

Very early initial impressions: goddamn did I miss 60fps. It feels so much better it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am glad the devs realize what the players want and gave it to them very quickly the glider

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

As the game tells you, you can buy wooden/non-lethal versions of every weapon type from the faction bases in your region, if you're short on ways to take people down cleanly. The Anti-Shogunate faction only sells Japanese weapon types to start with, predictably, but soon expands to offer the full arsenal as you continue the story.

Incidentally, which weapon types are you folks vibing with? The stat progression being tied to skills means there's relatively little point in worrying about builds and scaling, and you can and should try anything and everything until you find your faves.

I'm just using whatever has the biggest attack numbers right now. One weapon that hasn't clicked with me at all is the greatsword. It is very very slow. Everything else is fun enough to use.

If I had to pick right now, I'd say polearms, sabers and dual katanas are my favorites.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Weapon update: I am really loving the bayonet. It's fun to have the option to fire bullets when performing your martial arts, especially since sometimes the enemy gets pushed just slightly out of reach for the last hit. Or you can chip them out.

But really I love it because the finishers are really funny and brutal. Sure I just stabbed you in the chest, but I better shoot you in the head to make sure.

Pomeron posted:

Odachi and fists. Just punching some bosses over and over is pretty fun

I am liking fists too when the game asks me to use non lethal options. I wonder if they are actually viable. Feels like they are and they do pretty good ki damage. Fists seem to love to push enemies just out of the palm blast range so I whiff that one all the time. But if you get an enemy against a wall or something where they won't be knocked out of range, you can deplete their ki super fast.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crowetron posted:

Started this last night and I'm digging it. The cats are easily my favorite video game collectable (although I wish there was a way to tell from a distance if they're one of the ones you have to sneak up on). Muscle memory from Nioh means I keep ending my combos with triangle and trying to parry with block, so I've gotten my rear end kicked a few times, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Sometimes gear I pick up is locked by default. Is that just because it's a high rarity or should I avoid selling those even if I have something better already?

Hardest part for sure. I still keep hitting the wrong buttons when I should've hit Triangle. Though from what I've seen there's no downside to just keeping L1 (block) held down at all times.

John Yossarian posted:

Are the graphics as bad as everyone has made them out to be? I've read reviewers mention that it doesn't look as nice as Ghost of Tsushima, and that it looks pretty bad for a PS5 game. I've seen pics of the game and it looks nice to me.

Honestly, no. The game isn't a graphical showcase, but it's not ugly either. imo it looks better than Dragon's Dogma 2, which seems more blurry by comparison.

And don't forget this is 60fps while Ghost and DD2 are 30fps. And 30fps is kinda generous for DD2 lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 1, 2024

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The game is amazing when you finally become really good at the combat. Now I just stroll into public order areas and fight everyone at once while parrying nearly everything.
I started on dusk, dropped it down to dawn pretty quickly while getting acclimated to the controls and combat and then kicked it back up to dusk by level 12 or so. Then I increased it to twilight at level 25.

I do wish there were more sets. I didn't expect a unique set for every single character you become friends with, but I certainly hoped that new sets would be unlocked later on in the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now that I'm basically done with the game(just cleaning up quests before the finale), my fav weapons are the bayonet and oxtail blade. The oxtail blade has fantastic animations. I didn't really mess around too much with the katana, dual katanas or odachi.
I fell out of love with the polearm, even though I maxed it along with the bayonet during my playthrough. I like the greatsword a bit more than I used to, though that is all due to it's insane attack stat. Still not a huge fan of the slower weapons in this game and the faster ones seem better in every way.

Has there been any testing done on how much Luck affects droprates(or drop quality)? I went through the whole game using the Fortune set but swapped off recently and it doesn't seem to change much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Got through about 75% of ch2 on Midnight and realized that I don't actually care. I still really liked the game, but I don't have any motivation for continuing since there are basically no "builds" to make since the set bonuses are pretty lame.
On Midnight difficulty, a bunch of the bosses are borderline unfun due to having their aggression set to 11 and also having massive ki meters. They will randomly turn on hyperarmor and start attacking as well. So you basically have to play the defensive parry game to whittle down their max ki until you can finally kill them. Assuming you don't deplete their hp first.

idk if Team Ninja plans to do dlc, but I hope they add more sets that have actual important set bonuses that change how your build plays.
It would be nice if they offered players the choice of using the hard difficulty parry window across all the difficulties but give dawn and dusk an option to increase it even more if they want. Just so people can get used to "proper" parry timing while playing but aren't immediately killed for loving up. I wouldn't be opposed to having it be more lenient on twilight and midnight too since it seems really tight on some boss attacks.

Overall I liked the game, but I feel like Wo Long had better gameplay. This absolutely had a better story and I was actually interested in where it was going, even though I knew roughly how it ends.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Have any of you tried Midnight mode? I keep reading it's like an unreasonably massive difficulty spike from the previous difficulty options. A shame this game doesn't have the kind of NG+ Nioh 2 had, which was awesome because it just felt like another step up in difficulty without being too extreme and you got a whole new level of loot where the stats began to really matter (and you could start building things up). Hopefully that'll be something that's patched in along with better armor stat bonuses from armor. If you're going to have a ton of drops they really need to have good stuff on them!

I did and got about 2/3rds through Mdnight difficulty before stopping. The reasons were basically what you listed: midnight isn't that fun due to how they tuned it and the loot is boring.