Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Would you say it's better or worse now? What's changed and what's stayed the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

When you look at the ratio of forums quality to overall internet quality, things have improved.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Was reading the frontpage around that time.

Still some good works by Taylor 'Psychosis' Bell - if you know where to look.
https://www.somethingawful.com/author/15/

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

back then most posters were in high school or college, now they are not

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Flavahbeast posted:

back then most posters were in high school or college, now they are not

Man, college is a distant memory. I'm old....

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I was all about the squaresoft fan headquarters back then

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we have way fewer posts about rotten.com now

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the internet has become, since that time, a regrettably and unironically serious business

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

A lot less slurs now. Positive change imo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

It's a very different place than it was back then

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Back then I didn't have to do my best Tony Soprano impression every time I stood up.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
No because the first accounts were early 2000s

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Remember British Born and Bread? I wonder if they voted for brexit

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:suicide:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Remember British Born and Bread? I wonder if they voted for brexit

He's still around

Maybe he's lurking this very thread.... :ninja:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Probably 2000 Op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Planet Quake and Planet Half Life were funny

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

It's much better now
Basically as soon as Seth took over the mod team, even

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

pencilhands posted:

Would you say it's better or worse now? What's changed and what's stayed the same?

Yes. Better? I don't know. It's more serious, less edgy. It's generally more mature which makes sense because everyone is 35-50 instead of 12-25 years old. The community standards for what's acceptable are a big change. Also the proliferation of megathreads is a big difference. Most of the legendary ancient threads were like 7-15 pages long.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

It's much better now
Basically as soon as Seth took over the mod team, even

You think the turning point is Seth taking over? I think it's when Smugworth joined the forums. <3

Seriously though like someone said, the ratio of us to everything else has gotten significantly better.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Back then people were still posting. Now.... I'm not so sure anymore.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Also the ease of embedding content is a big change. Pulling in twitter posts and youtube videos is very different from the early days.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the kids are soft these days

they see one gaping anus and go crying to mommy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i couldnt goatse anyone with a vision quest pro in the apple store btw cuz they make u sign a loving list and then a "genius" sits with you and probably touches u when u cant see nothing and tells u "2 relax"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can still goatse them the old fashioned way, with your own two hands and a bit of elbow grease

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
nobody wants to gently caress a flask anymore

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mostly... they were posting using Safari

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
posting safari with meeeeeee

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I read the forums on occasion starting in 2000 they were mostly incomprehensible and stupid to me. They just seemed like a bunch of high school kids with Tourette's jabbering about video games and anime. I posted a lot on E/N sites and the Portal of Evil and we really looked down on SA even though some of the younger, geekier ones were regulars here.

gyrotachometer
Jul 20, 2020
Yes, it has been hard. Need to have people caring for my every need while i refresh sub-forums and posting. Even had to have small surgery at home when trying to read another three olives post.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i hadnt even heard about these forums until like a year before i registered lol

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BigHead posted:

You think the turning point is Seth taking over? I think it's when Smugworth joined the forums. <3

Seriously though like someone said, the ratio of us to everything else has gotten significantly better.

Hm, great point

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

still of the opinion taht this sjw adjacent site is too woke now, op?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I was browsing accountless since 99, but then the paywall came up in 2001 so I had to pay $10 to keep browsing.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ravendas posted:

I was browsing accountless since 99, but then the paywall came up in 2001 so I had to pay $10 to keep browsing.

Same.

It's gone downhill ever since.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

I read the forums on occasion starting in 2000 they were mostly incomprehensible and stupid to me. They just seemed like a bunch of high school kids with Tourette's jabbering about video games and anime.

The very early forums were actually like this because the userbase was originally teenage, but we quickly matured past a lot of the memes we ended up pioneering. Legends have it, Lowtax made the fist Impact-font stroke-outline "meme" as we know it, because he was tired of his teenaged users constantly beating jokes like dead horses (he was in his 20's).

Things did change pretty fast though, and GBS had a few "versions" before arriving to this current one, which, yes, is actually GBS at its best.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the forums used to be embarrassing but now they’re merely shameful

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

TrashMammal posted:

the forums used to be embarrassing but now they’re merely shameful

You could say,

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The SA forum was at it's worst in the mid aughts. Bunch of "internet males" ( the proto douchebag archetype from which "incels", "betas", "chads", etc would eventually arise from ) pretending they didn't just lookup some fact that they're bloviating on while trying to be edgy and funny.

gently caress. It hasn't actually changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i know all my facts before i post them.