Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
it started as better than anywhere else and remains better than anywhere else but that's more of an indictment of the internet in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

pencilhands posted:

Would you say it's better or worse now? What's changed and what's stayed the same?

the CSS is better

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
it got a lot worse on Aug 20 2022

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 28, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
it was one singular forum, and it was 1/3rd people posting as they do now, 1/3rd proto-4channers, and 1/3 bored teenagers

post count was a very big deal

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

it was one singular forum, and it was 1/3rd people posting as they do now, 1/3rd proto-4channers, and 1/3 bored teenagers

it still is. and yours is way too low

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

sorry, but the best posters have always had the lowest post counts. the lower the better

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My account turned twenty the other day. It's a weird feeling. Next year it can drink.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

TrashMammal posted:

sorry, but the best posters have always had the lowest post counts. the lower the better

Thank you for identifying Game Quoter as the best poster

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

TrashMammal posted:

The best posters are the ones who have never posted at all.... the equilibrium...

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

Until it goes negative and you realize that poster is composed of pure evil

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

fyi this is exactly why gbs is mocked by every other subforum, even the coupons one

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Vampire Panties posted:

reg date was a big deal

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

fyi this is exactly why gbs is mocked by every other subforum, even the coupons one

yup

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

TrashMammal posted:

You have said the absolute truth

Nov 6, 2002

TrashMammal posted:

... and that's what makes it cool

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Comparing anything to the Coupons forum sets an unreasonably high standard...

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

I heard the coupons mod got demodded for being a bad hombre

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Maybe?

I posted here under different accounts for a while because I didn't want to give my email address. The NSFW inlines were cool. My wife turned me onto the forums (I read the front page) and found goatman funny, but left like the 5th time Barbie's Vacation showed up.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Barbie's Vacation?

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

TrashMammal posted:

thankn u for the info

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no i was like 3 or something

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it still is. and yours is way too low

I've averaged a post a day for 23 years :stare:

where's my gold watch

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
try the watch thread, look out for pubes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

try the watch thread, look out for pubes

i cant recommend posting there. they probate for posting watch pics

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I stumbled onto SA back in the day because it was a cool place where 'cool' older kids went like newgrounds and cheatcc. But I never really paid attention to the site or forums until the 9/11 thread.

Beyond the residual panic and terror that came with being evacuated by the national guard because our school was less than a mile from a big military supply chain link, it was actually a pretty rad day; got to go home early, played a bunch of Infantry Online, and I'll remember hulk hogan smashing the twin towers with just as much clarity as I remember panic-calling my uncle and other family members, to make sure they weren't in the tower that day, for the rest of my life.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
'99 SA was both edgier and funnier that most small online communities of the time. Nobody cared about the site being "popular" or "a moneymaker" or "appealing to the general public" or "good."

TBH the 'Tax of those days was still deeply invested in making sure the forum didn't devolve into a shitshow, and it showed. One of the upfront rules when you regged was "I can ban you for anything you say, I can ban you for anything you do, I can ban you if I don't like your face." The people who responded well to that were the community this whole thing sprung from. Seems to have worked out okay for the most part.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

i cant recommend posting there. they probate for posting watch pics

drat thats really hosed up. what a world.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Mirage posted:

TBH the 'Tax of those days was still deeply invested in making sure the forum didn't devolve into a shitshow, and it showed. One of the upfront rules when you regged was "I can ban you for anything you say, I can ban you for anything you do, I can ban you if I don't like your face." The people who responded well to that were the community this whole thing sprung from. Seems to have worked out okay for the most part.

IIRC Lowtax basically started this place as a direct response to the type of bullshit he was seeing on the Planet* websites (I think it was specifically PlanetQuake?) back in the day. For all the ill of the man and his existence, he did understand the one truest constant of the 21st century before anyone else: the internet makes you a loving stupid idiot

vvvv fucker was the example in the end

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 28, 2024

Nov 6, 2002

Mudlark posted:

: the internet makes you a loving stupid idiot

too bad he wasn't immune

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I was around and posting on the L-Bone sub-forum way too much back then.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
it was like reading posts by people aping mel brooks into memes and i laughed a lot

as everyone grew up and that kind of comedy became passe it chilled out a lot, and now we're all stuck in the horror show of the current timeline of life just trying not to die from whatever

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

still of the opinion taht this sjw adjacent site is too woke now, op?

Lol :owned:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mudlark posted:

Infantry Online

That game owned so hard
I was the deathboard jump trooper that pissed everyone off

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the PlanetSide 1 goon squad was the most fun I've ever had in a game until PlanetSide 2 goon squad came around and we ran off a literal space hitler and his nazis from the server

proud to have served! Operation Market Garden was amazing. 200+ goons all dropping off the map in the name of something

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Philthy posted:

it was like reading posts by people aping mel brooks into memes and i laughed a lot

as everyone grew up and that kind of comedy became passe it chilled out a lot, and now we're all stuck in the horror show of the current timeline of life just trying not to die from whatever

maybe im biased but i'd rather read funny threads where people post made up stories about fighting ghost nazis or being raped by ostriches, than any of the current aids threads where people post earnestly about their fascist donal trump hellscape timelines

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

maybe im biased but i'd rather read funny threads where people post made up stories about fighting ghost nazis or being raped by ostriches, than any of the current aids threads where people post earnestly about their fascist donal trump hellscape timelines

Turmph

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The event that got me to the forums was that both Something Awful and one of the websites I ran were both victims of the GameFan Network and their scumbaggery and failure to pay websites; and during that time some of us were in contact with each other about it and I got exposed to the forums then. I want to say I'd seen the front page of SA a handful of times before then, but I don't remember anything specifically, and I can admit now that I'd never really liked Lowtax's brand of humor so if it had been up to frontpage alone, I wouldn't have made it past the SA front page and into the forums where much better, funnier people created content (that's you!).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Smugworth posted:

moderators 100% off

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Smugworth posted:

He got.... :hehe: clipped.

Adbot