Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The DoE and CPSC proposed regulatory charges after evidence emerged that poorly ventilated gas stoves caused immediate and long term health effects and current standards around residential gas stoves made poorly ventilated effectively the standard. https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IN/IN12115

Obviously it took mere moments to blow this up into a culture wars wedge issue because :gas: has an enormous lobby that fits with an existing ideological bent.

Solutions:
Plugging our ears and yelling 'science bad!'. An American classic.

Making property developers install fume hoods that are not ornaments.

Using electric appliances of some description. Please feel free to post about why these suck/are better at length.

Cooking outside like cave men. Maybe even using wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i cant wait for my gas stove to break so i can justify replacing it with a nice electric one or perhaps even an induction stove...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in the meantime i just turn the vent hood on full blast (and it actually does vent outside rather than into the attic or something)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

don't care about oven heating methods all that much but a gas range is just superior to an electric coil. i will die on this hill

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vent hoods that actually go outside ftw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
induction is just superior in every way

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

sums it up

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

in the conflict between chud stoves and lib stoves, the choice is clear

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I hvae no choice in my range, therefor I have one of those GE Sensi-Temp(tm) ones where the coil turns off automatically while I'm cooking

wish I had the option of letting my gas stove kill me like a true american

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

i cant wait for my gas stove to break so i can justify replacing it with a nice electric one or perhaps even an induction stove...

been reading about induction...curious and curiouser...

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dreylad posted:

been reading about induction...curious and curiouser...

you can always buy a countertop induction burner to try it out

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

i say swears online posted:

vent hoods that actually go outside ftw

I considered replacing the microwave with a proper hood, but if I'm honest with myself the microwave is used way, way more than the stove and there's a reason it's up there: there's no good spot for it anywhere else.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hank hill suicide

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it takes away the propain

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Whole lot of people in here talking as if they have any choice in the matter. You just use whatever the unit has and hope your landlord got a nice stove.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Al! posted:

hank hill suicide

Those studies were all done on sick monkeys!

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Those studies were all done on sick monkeys!

its true. my roommate is one of them. hes not doing very well

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Our fume hood is extremely loud so I assume it must work real well and won't be looking into the issue further

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I have a window

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Whole lot of people in here talking as if they have any choice in the matter. You just use whatever the unit has and hope your landlord got a nice stove.

Maybe you should try owning real property:smug:

You’ll thank me later

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cant possibly be good to have a huge weird fire in your apartment running all the time like gas heater but hell, im cold. gently caress it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
me while running the heater

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
gas makes my car run good, which means it also makes my brain run good. heck, i even get the natural, organic, GMO-free gas. calm down goonlings, people have been gassing themselves for 80 years, if it was bad we would have known. its good for you

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gas is cheap. cooks the food. cant argue with that

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
gas causes brain damage? wait until you hear about the syndromes caused by resonating inductive cookware

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

pink noise posted:

gas causes brain damage? wait until you hear about the syndromes caused by resonating inductive cookware

lets hear about it

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
I spent my whole adult life wanting a gas stove because nobody told me the flame jets would put grease spatter on every vertical surface in line of sight of the stovetop

I blame Alton Brown

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

yeah as a lifelong renter i've never really had much of a say but my current one is an electric glass top and it works perfectly fine

i had a gas stove at one apartment and didn't really see much improvement over electric, plus using the oven always made me nervous that I was gonna gently caress it up and make poo poo explode

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I spent my whole adult life wanting a gas stove because nobody told me the flame jets would put grease spatter on every vertical surface in line of sight of the stovetop

I blame Alton Brown

owned

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

lets hear about it

can't confirm or deny that it melts brains, i started using it around 2016

but it does tend to emit a high pitched noise, particularly on high settings

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Jose posted:

induction is just superior in every way

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'd say you can't prep hot knives off an induction but I think you actually can

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

gas is nice but i cook a lot and think people who complain about electric are just being dramatic.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

get a wok burner and take that poo poo outside. it’s insanely fun, and if you’re willing to gamble a bit on personal safety, pretty cheap!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

if you need a more traditional gas range experience, get a kbbq burner at your nearest h-mart

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Nobody cares more about the environment then me. But I'm a Foodie so I gotta have Gas

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nitevision posted:

Nobody cares more about the environment then me. But I'm a Foodie so I gotta have Gas

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Cooking Annies white cheddar shells on this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
every day i cook, and every day i get dumber. coincidence????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I have opinions on this