Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

not many people have the brain big enough to fully understand bitcoins and unlock their potential. but he's unlocking it at an amaxing rate. and hes only in his 30s. is he one of the greatest punblic intellectuals of the 2020s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

he met to jail for 25 years op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

first im hearing of this. your telling me for the first time

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
he figuredd out how to get free food and a roof over his head for 25 years. he is a genious

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

git apologist posted:

he met to jail for 25 years op

and who pays for jails? us, with taxes. so i think he's had the last laugh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yes. probably all the amphetamine patches he slapped on his gooch

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Buck Turgidson posted:

he figuredd out how to get free food and a roof over his head for 25 years. he is a genious

one weird trick! libertarians hate him!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well he got himself a much longer sentence by taking the stand (I'm sure against his own lawyers' advice) and being incredibly smug and evasive and remorseless. The judge specifically cited SBF's attitude in giving him 25 years instead of the 6 his lawyers requested. He said SBF showed no indication that he was sorry for what he had done or even accepted that it was wrong, and the longer sentence was necessary to keep him out of society and unable try his hand at finance again for the most productive years of his life.

So no, I would not say he was a genious [sic]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

Well he got himself a much longer sentence by taking the stand (I'm sure against his own lawyers' advice) and being incredibly smug and evasive and remorseless. The judge specifically cited SBF's attitude in giving him 25 years instead of the 6 his lawyers requested. He said SBF showed no indication that he was sorry for what he had done or even accepted that it was wrong, and the longer sentence was necessary to keep him out of society and unable try his hand at finance again for the most productive years of his life.

but you can’t ignore all the bitcoins he earned

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

the american justice system locked up mlk too. not so sure i'd take their word on it.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

lmao what a moron

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
literally squee-ing with joy at work as I imagine my dream dinner with sbf and Elon musk

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

post hole digger posted:

the american justice system locked up mlk too. not so sure i'd take their word on it.

in this particular instance they're definitely right about him being smug and evasive and remorseless, as anyone who's followed that trial could tell you. best part is how he clearly thought he could talk his way out of this and he just had to clear up this big misunderstanding and everyone would have a good laugh about it and then go home. and boy did he talk and talk and talk

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQiRA_-VAd8

Alway in these commants section is so many hatters but whare is you're 10 ballions?
SBF and Elon are the modern greats, always beating the hatters in the end.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

he still is, op

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

he worked at Jane Street so yeah

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

literally squee-ing with joy at work as I imagine my dream dinner with sbf and Elon musk

talk about a hot threesome

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
op: no.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine spending a few years as a billionaire, flying to the Super Bowl hanging out with celebrities and living in the Bahamas on a 24/7 crime spree and the only consequence for getting caught is 6 years (out in 3) minimum security prison and the only thing you have to do to make that happen is apologize and say you’re only a smol boy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think he is just a sociopath. the anecdotes about his personal behavior bear it out. if he didn't get caught now stealing billions, he'd probably end up hunting people for sport.

i also think he is a really stupid sociopath. like for instance when he leaked his girlfriend's personal diaries to the press. he probably saw that as a good move. shift and distribute the blame, right? but he has no emotional capacity, so he didn't realize that normal people would see that as an exceptionally cruel move and be more sympathetic to her instead. whoops!

or maybe it isn't stupidity. i mean clearly he was smart enough for stanford :rolleyes:. maybe because he was so smart all of his social idiocy was excused as eccentricity, so he never had to practice faking humanity. never developed the charismatic mask that other sociopaths do. never learned social rules like "revealing your girlfriend's secrets will make people dislike you." if he had been dumber, maybe people would have called him out sooner and he would have developed better survival skills.

hans reiser is probably the same. sociopathic, but also too much of a goon to learn how to manipulate people properly. he also took the stand thinking he had it all figured out, and also hugely hosed himself over.

here is a good article about child sociopaths. (though that term is stigmatized so now they say the kids have "antisocial personality disorder with callous and unemotional traits").

https://12ft.io/https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/when-your-child-is-a-psychopath/524502/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 29, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

no, op

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i think he is just a sociopath. the anecdotes about his personal behavior bear it out. if he didn't get caught now stealing billions, he'd probably end up hunting people for sport.

i also think he is a really stupid sociopath. like for instance when he leaked his girlfriend's personal diaries to the press. he probably saw that as a good move. shift and distribute the blame, right? but he has no emotional capacity, so he didn't realize that normal people would see that as an exceptionally cruel move and be more sympathetic to her instead. whoops!

or maybe it isn't stupidity. i mean clearly he was smart enough for stanford :rolleyes:. maybe because he was so smart all of his social idiocy was excused as eccentricity, so he never had to practice faking humanity. never developed the charismatic mask that other sociopaths do. never learned social rules like "revealing your girlfriend's secrets will make people dislike you." if he had been dumber, maybe people would have called him out sooner and he would have developed better survival skills.

hans reiser is probably the same. sociopathic, but also too much of a goon to learn how to manipulate people properly. he also took the stand thinking he had it all figured out, and also hugely hosed himself over.

here is a good article about child sociopaths. (though that term is stigmatized so now they say the kids have "antisocial personality disorder with callous and unemotional traits").

https://12ft.io/https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/when-your-child-is-a-psychopath/524502/

lots of geniuses are misunderstood

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like this is from that article. Does this sound a bit like the kind of psychology that would lead to someone committing huge crimes to make billions of dollars and meet celebrities?

quote:

The center’s real breakthrough involves deploying the anomalies of the psychopathic brain to one’s advantage—specifically, downplaying punishment and dangling rewards. These boys have been expelled from school, placed in group homes, arrested, and jailed. If punishment were going to rein them in, it would have by now. But their brains do respond, enthusiastically, to rewards. At Mendota, the boys can accumulate points to join ever more prestigious “clubs” (Club 19, Club 23, the VIP Club). As they ascend in status, they earn privileges and treats—candy bars, baseball cards, pizza on Saturdays, the chance to play Xbox or stay up late. Hitting someone, throwing urine, or cussing out the staff costs a boy points—but not for long, since callous and unemotional kids aren’t generally deterred by punishment.

I am, frankly, skeptical—will a kid who knocked down an elderly lady and stole her Social Security check (as one Mendota resident did) really be motivated by the promise of Pokémon cards? But then I walk down the South Hall with Ebsen. She stops and turns toward a door on our left. “Hey,” she calls, “do I hear internet radio?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m in the VIP Club,” a voice says. “Can I show you my basketball cards?”

Ebsen unlocks the door to reveal a skinny 17-year-old boy with a nascent mustache. He fans out his collection. “This is, like, 50 basketball cards,” he says, and I can almost see his reward centers glowing. “I have the most and best basketball cards here.”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

well he did have this thing where he put iirc his brother in charge of finding an island to buy so the effective altruism movement would have somewhere not subject to any laws where they could use genetic engineering to create superior humans that can do an altruism more effectively and/or recreate bioshock. i presume hunting people for sports was included somewhere in there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

Like this is from that article. Does this sound a bit like the kind of psychology that would lead to someone committing huge crimes to make billions of dollars and meet celebrities?

yeah it kinda does. why do you ask

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

well he did have this thing where he put iirc his brother in charge of finding an island to buy so the effective altruism movement would have somewhere not subject to any laws where they could use genetic engineering to create superior humans that can do an altruism more effectively and/or recreate bioshock. i presume hunting people for sports was included somewhere in there

i read this really quickly and i guess combined "recreate" and "bioshock" into "create radioshack"

probably would have been better

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
sbf was smarter than enough other people to recognize that he was smarter than some people, but yet stupid enough to think he was smart enough to out scam the most successful scamming class of people on the planet who run the world economy and justice systems.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well if he's so smart how come he didn't create radioshack

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

i read this really quickly and i guess combined "recreate" and "bioshock" into "create radioshack"

probably would have been better

i'd choose being stuck in rapture over the oppressively bland beige carpet atmosphere of a radio shack tbh. at least andrew ryan isn't gonna try to sell me house brand batteries every single time he opens his mouth

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Beeftweeter posted:

well if he's so smart how come he didn't create radioshack

Because it already existed smart guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its true. if radioshack did not exist, we would be forced to invent it