Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Let's play Far Cry 4

Hi, I'm Vitamin Me and you might know me from LPs of ye olde games like Mechwarrior 2 and Fire Fight.

Lately I felt like revisiting this wonderful action game again: it's got some great guns, missions and environments.

The game

If you're not familiar with the Far Cry series, you've probably been living under a rock, but let me give you the gist of it: you're a tourist in some faraway land run by an evil dictator type, and must now use your hunting and murdering skills to restore peace to the galaxy.

We are Ajay Ghale, traveling to the India/Nepal-like country of Kyrat to spread our mother's ashes. Things quickly take a turn for the worse when we run into a checkpoint at the border. The cutscenes do a good job of telling the story, so I'll leave it at that for now.

For the action, there's plenty of times where we can go stealth, using a silent bow and arrow (which can be a nice challenge) or use any of the many guns, grenade launchers etc.

The playthrough

During our time in Kyrat, we'll be able to choose missions to advance the story, and depending on which missions we accept we'll get a different ending. This is where YOU, the ~audience~ come in. You can suggest which path we should take at times.

I've beaten this game twice (I think?) in the past, and I'll be focusing on keeping a good pace for the LP. I don't want to drag this out to a 100% 70-part video run. This will be a video run with an update anywhere between once to multiple times a week.

I'll try to get a decent mix of story progression, hunting/upgrades and sidemissions for each vid, but we'll see how it goes and if there are any requests for doing particular side missions or activities.

The videos

Part 1 - Beating the game
Part 2 - Prologue and bell tower
Part 3 - Attack on Banapur, freeing hostages and liberating first outpost

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ah, Far Cry 4, not as stupid as 5, but not quite as refined in gameplay. Probably the best one that isn't blood dragon, really.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Those are the only two Far Cries I've played. Glad to know it's all downhill otherwise.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
FarCry 4 has the absolute best villain (Suck it Vas!) just for the trash talk alone. God, I love this game.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

FarCry 4 has the absolute best villain (Suck it Vas!) just for the trash talk alone. God, I love this game.

I know right? I'm uploading the next part, but Youtube has decided that anything not 1440p gets the crap encoder quality apparently..so gotta recode and reupload now :negative:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
When you said you've beaten the game twice were you counting the joke ending? Because if so you've beaten it three times now and you should update the OP.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

White Coke posted:

When you said you've beaten the game twice were you counting the joke ending? Because if so you've beaten it three times now and you should update the OP.

Doesnt really matter, just wanted to indicate this isnt a first playthrough

edit: or you're joking and it flew over my head

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

First update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXYdRBVTYkQ

So this is mostly getting used to the gameplay again, doing the prologue, buying our first weapons and doing the first upgrades. I've added noteworthy events in the vid to the description with timestamps.

Already ran into a little bug where, if you restart the first mission, the mission doesn't trigger because you need to cross some kind of area-border and the restart puts you inside that area. Apart from that we don't have many difficulties, most animals we encounter are sniped pretty easily.

We also unlock the first skills, next time we're going to use the new hunter syringe we unlocked :clint:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think those spinning pillars are prayer wheels.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

White Coke posted:

I think those spinning pillars are prayer wheels.

Ah yes that's it

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Part 3 is live! Chapter 1 is done.

https://youtu.be/1Li9OmW-p6Y

These first missions were a bigger challenge than I expected..I edited out a couple of failed attempts, I constantly was on fire because people kept throwing molotovs everywhere. The first outpost is easy though :D

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 2, 2024

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Having only played Blood Dragon, it's interesting to see how similar this game is, plus the added depth of a full Farcry game. I kinda wish they'd do a Blood Dragon sequel since it was gloriously silly, but I also feel like it'd run out of ideas and overstay its welcome pretty quickly. Looks like it also has the same awful bullet scatter on the pistols, though.
What happened during the village defence mission when that shotgunner came around a corner and bumped into you? It looked like you went fully-auto on him for about a second without any shots connecting somehow before he bashed you with gun.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Having only played Blood Dragon, it's interesting to see how similar this game is, plus the added depth of a full Farcry game. I kinda wish they'd do a Blood Dragon sequel since it was gloriously silly, but I also feel like it'd run out of ideas and overstay its welcome pretty quickly. Looks like it also has the same awful bullet scatter on the pistols, though.
What happened during the village defence mission when that shotgunner came around a corner and bumped into you? It looked like you went fully-auto on him for about a second without any shots connecting somehow before he bashed you with gun.

Yeah just looked up that moment and it seems my rifle might've been too close to the enemy, efectively firing through/behind them..bit wonky for sure. In these assault situations you really have to be ready to do close-combat takedowns, luckily I was on time in the hostage mission later in the vid, around 31:56

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I’m curious about how the sequels changed the gameplay, if at all. Aside from new locations and new villains I don’t know anything about 5, 6, Primal, or any of the other ones.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

https://youtu.be/4FvXj-pesvI

We get the little helicopter and things start getting fun..at the end we get our first story mission choice, let me know what I should pick!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Saving the camp seems like it's more in character, in as much as Ajay has one, since saving peoples' lives is probably what most people would choose and if Ajay is the one breaking the deadlock he'd opt for saving people instead of sacrificing them.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

White Coke posted:

Saving the camp seems like it's more in character, in as much as Ajay has one, since saving peoples' lives is probably what most people would choose and if Ajay is the one breaking the deadlock he'd opt for saving people instead of sacrificing them.

Sounds good, I'll continue today..hopefully I can finally spot some Baghals(?) to upgrade my ammo puch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

sorry, abandoning this lp..game is a lot moer frustrating than I remember, also uploading and editing tens of gigibytes of footage to get any quality on yt is a chore. Overall a lot of the gameplay just doesnt seem that interesting for a video