Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
https://boehs.org/node/everything-i-know-about-the-xz-backdoor

feel free to post here every time that esr dickhead and his bullshit "enough eyes means all bugs are shallow" horseshit are proven wrong, or every time critical poo poo like sshd or openssh is hosed up because the entire software industry relies on volunteer labor to function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dont use open sores software

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pretty sure the bugs thing was hilariously contradicted by heartbleed and no one ever says that now

i do all my posting by dictating it to my secretary who types it up on an old olivetti typewriter (with a new ribbon everytime) and having her hand deliver it to jeffrey. can’t be too careful

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

dont use open sores software

i agree, i think you should stop using this php/apache application

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
common misconception. pretty much all of the important parts of linux are done by paid professionals. I can see why you’d be think otherwise, because it still looks and feels like unmanaged pile of junk written by some weirdos in their mom’s basement.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

common misconception. pretty much all of the important parts of linux are done by paid professionals.

and yet here we are

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

all the “important” stuff is done by paid professionals but its still a dependency _chain_ and the “unimportant” links matter just as much

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i get your kick against open source but pretending that poo poo wouldn't be as busted if we only left it to paid professionals is laughable. software is hot dogshit everywhere.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
best programmer in the world can't meaningfully kick back against a dumbass dipshit manager that insists on pushing some bullshit change just to make a bullet point for their review/resume

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idk, firstly it is unlikely that Jai Tan is a real existing person, and even if they are, it seems unlikely that what they did (the non-covert bits) would be consistent with the job they're hired to do, so to some extent code getting written by actual people actually being hired to do so would be less likely to have this happen.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i get your kick against open source but pretending that poo poo wouldn't be as busted if we only left it to paid professionals is laughable. software is hot dogshit everywhere.

my beef is backwards from this. I am angry that people upon whose backs our entire infrastructure rests are burning out and dealing with untreated health issues because theyre spending all their time doing unglamorous, thankless and unpaid volunteer work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh got it. yeah, i agree with you on that. those people should stop and take care of themselves, and force industry to pony up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean it'd be better if they got big paydays from all those years of toil, but i think we both know that ain't ever gonna happen

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

thank goodness runk hasn’t been compromised

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just learned about this because i checked the company slack before going to bed like a dummy. this is gonna be fun to unfuck for all my customers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

u have a strange mind necco

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait thats necco? i thought it was tusen takk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

no i think tusen takk is fat32 shamer

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
many people get the esr quote wrong. what he actually said was “with enough eyes, all bugs are Shallow Hal,” a reference to the 2001 Jack Black rom / com

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rotor posted:

feel free to post here every time that esr dickhead and his bullshit "enough eyes means all bugs are shallow" horseshit are proven wrong, or every time critical poo poo like sshd or openssh is hosed up because the entire software industry relies on volunteer labor to function

On one level, this is it actually working. The defect was eventually discovered and fixed. Also seems to only apply to Fedora as all the other distributions are so behind on updates :lol:

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/202...20this%20issue.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

no i think tusen takk is fat32 shamer

incorrect

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

incorrect

hmm

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

lol yes i'm necco

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

if the sql is no, it's prob necco

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think the "enough eyes" thing works as long as those eyes are actually reviewing changes and not just banging out another "lgtm". closed source isnt much better because that poo poo'll be backdoored and you'll never know it

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

MrMoo posted:

On one level, this is it actually working. The defect was eventually discovered and fixed.

Agree somewhat. I mean, the entire reason this was discovered was that a rando on a mailing list noticed that some part of the software ran a bit slow and then started investigating. If this was closed-source, the only thing they could have done was to shrug their shoulders because I guess the sshd guys or whoever were being terrible programmers again.

And I don't know what fantasies people have about the so called paid professionals; 5 minute review, "lgtm" and approve happens plenty among those. Let's remember this was a trusted IC*. Do you read all PRs by your coworkers as if they were a NSA mole?

* and yeah, it's harder to become one of those in a professional setting vs. random projects on the internet. But certainly doable by the caliber of black-hat we're talking about here.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Which doesn't mean OSS work should continue to be done unpaid. That the work may get done in a better way should at most be a secondary concern. One of the real reason is of course that all socially useful labour time should be well compensated. FOSS is like care work in that way. If the people currently doing it stop doing it, society breaks down sooner or later. Yet they aren't paid. Obligatory reminder that any satisfactory solution to this involves smashing capitalism.
But unlike care work, it isn't as morally dubious to just stop doing volunteer FOSS work for free. If I were a FOSS dev/maintainer/whatever, I would put a non-commercial license on everything* and wouldn't lift a drat finger until I got money on the table (or the contractual guarantee thereof). It is not zx's maintainers' problem that others decided to call their code in programs that run on millions of devices. Just like, dare to act in your own interests, people. And don't confuse your own interests with those of others. Rich Hickey got this right.

* which doesn't mean companies can't use the software. Just not under the terms of the OSS license. That this may not make it officially Free Software or whatever is one of the political mistakes of the Free Software movement, and really makes that movement right-wing libertarian.

Ocean of Milk fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 2, 2024

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

open sores

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

a few of my classmates from college adopted the warrior monk foss lifestyle and the problem with asking them to just charge money is that they’re allergic to it. like straight up don’t want to work a job ever because that would mean making money and gently caress that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

a few of my classmates from college adopted the warrior monk foss lifestyle and the problem with asking them to just charge money is that they’re allergic to it. like straight up don’t want to work a job ever because that would mean making money and gently caress that

? ? ? I get not wanting to work a job, but because it makes them money is weird reasoning. how do they uh, live. going to RMSs convent in the woods

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
never ask a jobless full-time open source contributor why both his parents have wikipedia pages

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

idk where he gets his money i've never interrogated it. but when i say he's living the monk lifestyle i mean it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

like is he at a monastery or temple? taking care of the grounds and like performing religious/spiritual services ?

or do you mean hes like obnoxiously vegan and somewhat unkempt

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Share Bear posted:

somewhat unkempt

this would be an upgrade for a FOSS guy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

idk where he gets his money i've never interrogated it. but when i say he's living the monk lifestyle i mean it

he lives in a monastery or temple? am i close?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

foreverally tonsured and loving it

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

mastodon doesn't embed on SA so you'll have to trust me that this is a good link

https://mstdn.ca/@mjg59@nondeterministic.computer/112188888431503469

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://x.com/FFmpeg/status/1775178803129602500

https://x.com/FFmpeg/status/1775180561411186706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is what i'm talkin about