Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if your support model is "maybe corporations will feel guilty and write me a check" then you are a loving idiot

sorry ffmpeg dudes but thats a stupid position to be in and you are entirely at fault for putting yourself there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol get hosed microsoft

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

if your support model is "maybe corporations will feel guilty and write me a check" then you are a loving idiot

sorry ffmpeg dudes but thats a stupid position to be in and you are entirely at fault for putting yourself there.

they asked for a support contract. i don't think that's unreasonable

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i dont think they were expecting a check rotor. it says m$ft offered to cut them a check and they said no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like i know trolling is commonplace in yospos but im freakin tired of it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if the bug is "high priority" because ffmpeg is used "in a highly visible product at microsoft", microsoft should get someone on that and submit a patch

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i dont think they were expecting a check rotor. it says m$ft offered to cut them a check and they said no

did anyone tell them money can be exchanged for goods and services

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

they asked for a support contract. i don't think that's unreasonable

i dont either, and msft said no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i dont either, and msft said no

well then their bug will be dealt with as all other bugs in ffmpeg are. considering they pissed off the main developers i think ms should really get someone to write a patch lol

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

fun thing about that ffmpeg bug thread: "Elon Musk" provides the workaround in the comments

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

well then their bug will be dealt with as all other bugs in ffmpeg are. considering they pissed off the main developers i think ms should really get someone to write a patch lol

idk its late and i dont have the time to draw a diagram of why this situation is so illustrative of a larger issue, please consult my open source manifesto thread for more details

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean, if they want priority bug fixes i don't think it's unreasonable that the ffmpeg team asked for a contract for that. since ms declined, it'll be dealt with as if anyone submitted it. and i don't think that's unfair either

ms definitely has the resources for someone to patch ffmpeg to fix the issue too. so if it's that high priority, they should get someone they're already paying to fix it, and submit the patch to ffmpeg. that's how it's supposed to work and is fair enough imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that said i wonder what "high visibility" product they're talking about. maybe edge?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

that said i wonder what "high visibility" product they're talking about. maybe edge?

it says right there in the ticket. it was some sort of captioning for teams meetings

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

it says right there in the ticket. it was some sort of captioning for teams meetings

oh i didn't actually look at the ticket lol. my dns blocks t.co redirects

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

oh god, not the captioning for teams meetings

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why does teams need to convert subtitle formats anyway? if microsoft has full control over how teams works then they should just have it use the subtitle format they want it in to begin with

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's specifically about stuff that's been encoded using NTSC style line 608 closed captions being incidentally transmitted in a stream of SEI packets alongside the video, which sounds like it's being sent to each Teams client as a content sharing thing and not that something on the other end is generating normal captions on the fly

writing an NTSC decoder specifically for Teams when there's some way to force ffmpeg to do conversion to .srt format in that case just seems really dumb and bad

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

if the bug is "high priority" because ffmpeg is used "in a highly visible product at microsoft", microsoft should get someone on that and submit a patch

yeah this seems like the right thing to do, to submit a patch and then bing bong you’ve improved ffmpeg for everyone. but lol microsoft

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
MS wouldn't even need to submit the patch - just run their own changed version.
But also bad negotiating by ffmpeg - just tell MS to add a few more zeroes to the "one-time payment of a few thousand dollars" for fixing that specific issue. Like, there's a prize point beyond which you'd be a fool to decline. I'd fix a bug for 50k$.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Beeftweeter posted:

lol get hosed microsoft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ozaFbqg00

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the take cannot possibly be "this would be workable if companies stopped asking us to do things"

Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Close Your Eyes Haha.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kazinsal posted:

it's specifically about stuff that's been encoded using NTSC style line 608 closed captions being incidentally transmitted in a stream of SEI packets alongside the video, which sounds like it's being sent to each Teams client as a content sharing thing and not that something on the other end is generating normal captions on the fly

writing an NTSC decoder specifically for Teams when there's some way to force ffmpeg to do conversion to .srt format in that case just seems really dumb and bad

who the gently caress is still using line 608 captions

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
atsc captions include eia-608 captions in addition to the newer textual ones because all digital video technologies just lump new layers on top of the previous era's standards

no clue why the gently caress teams would be using them though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

it looks like someone immediately gave them a workaround. so who got owned here?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plorkyeran posted:

atsc captions include eia-608 captions in addition to the newer textual ones because all digital video technologies just lump new layers on top of the previous era's standards

yeah, i meant in software. it doesn't make any sense unless you have teams getting raw atsc input somehow

luckily i don't use teams all that often so i don't know if it has that capability. i guess you could use a tv tuner input device, but i'd think if it does on-device conversion of mpeg-2 then the captions either get stripped or converted. if it's a stream dump like you'd get from a cable box via firewire then idk how it'd get to teams

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

going to guess it is a server-side video transcode thing that integrates with whatever else. probably willing to play almost any old junk on a sharepoint.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

who the gently caress is still using line 608 captions

*raises paw*

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

incorrect

tusen takk is absolutely fat32 shamer lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

tusen takk is absolutely fat32 shamer lol

getting kalstrams and tusen mixed up :argh:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you change your name and av here, I for one will respect that choice and instantly forget who you used to be.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I prefer variations on a theme, like post hole diggers ‘punished snake dog’

eventually I’ll put a santa hat on this halloween version of my blue deer av

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rotor posted:

if you change your name and av here, I for one will respect that choice and instantly forget who you used to be.
:same:
(e) also :same::

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. though its not intentional. i just have potato noggin

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 4, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

yep. though its not intentional. i just have potato noggin

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i will forget who you used to be even if you don't change your name or av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

i won't forget who you are because i'm jia tan and the purpose of my xz backdoor is specifically to monitor goons for name changes