Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol get hosed microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

if your support model is "maybe corporations will feel guilty and write me a check" then you are a loving idiot

sorry ffmpeg dudes but thats a stupid position to be in and you are entirely at fault for putting yourself there.

they asked for a support contract. i don't think that's unreasonable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if the bug is "high priority" because ffmpeg is used "in a highly visible product at microsoft", microsoft should get someone on that and submit a patch

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i dont either, and msft said no

well then their bug will be dealt with as all other bugs in ffmpeg are. considering they pissed off the main developers i think ms should really get someone to write a patch lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean, if they want priority bug fixes i don't think it's unreasonable that the ffmpeg team asked for a contract for that. since ms declined, it'll be dealt with as if anyone submitted it. and i don't think that's unfair either

ms definitely has the resources for someone to patch ffmpeg to fix the issue too. so if it's that high priority, they should get someone they're already paying to fix it, and submit the patch to ffmpeg. that's how it's supposed to work and is fair enough imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that said i wonder what "high visibility" product they're talking about. maybe edge?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

it says right there in the ticket. it was some sort of captioning for teams meetings

oh i didn't actually look at the ticket lol. my dns blocks t.co redirects

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why does teams need to convert subtitle formats anyway? if microsoft has full control over how teams works then they should just have it use the subtitle format they want it in to begin with

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kazinsal posted:

it's specifically about stuff that's been encoded using NTSC style line 608 closed captions being incidentally transmitted in a stream of SEI packets alongside the video, which sounds like it's being sent to each Teams client as a content sharing thing and not that something on the other end is generating normal captions on the fly

writing an NTSC decoder specifically for Teams when there's some way to force ffmpeg to do conversion to .srt format in that case just seems really dumb and bad

who the gently caress is still using line 608 captions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plorkyeran posted:

atsc captions include eia-608 captions in addition to the newer textual ones because all digital video technologies just lump new layers on top of the previous era's standards

no clue why the gently caress teams would be using them though

yeah, i meant in software. it doesn't make any sense unless you have teams getting raw atsc input somehow

luckily i don't use teams all that often so i don't know if it has that capability. i guess you could use a tv tuner input device, but i'd think if it does on-device conversion of mpeg-2 then the captions either get stripped or converted. if it's a stream dump like you'd get from a cable box via firewire then idk how it'd get to teams