Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

also i read the manga and there is actually some decent mystery stuff and sumireko gets cool scenes but also there's at least One shower scene an arc. just seems to be the wavelength the series is on. compared to some shows the 30 year old college dropout titty show is fairly inoffensive but it doesnt really stop or anything.

yeah to be clear it's not enough to get me to drop the show since i like it otherwise, and i appreciate that the ecchi is centered around a character older than i am. it just makes me roll my eyes a lot really since it's all really unnecessary in ostensibly an eerie show about the supernatural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

i give Mysterious ep2 a try to see if the next mystery is more interesting than the tutorial one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

yeah to be clear it's not enough to get me to drop the show since i like it otherwise, and i appreciate that the ecchi is centered around a character older than i am. it just makes me roll my eyes a lot really since it's all really unnecessary in ostensibly an eerie show about the supernatural
tbf sex and horror have been linked pretty much since the beginning of horror stories. like i said i think the joke at the start of ep 2 worked since it both tied into the plot and was actually a decent joke but yeah the rando shower scene in ep 1 didnt really do much in either direction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The shower scene in Psycho is like one of the most famous movie scenes ever, horror or otherwise.

Edit: Not saying it worked in this particular show, just agreeing that it's always been a part of the horror genre.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

tbf sex and horror have been linked pretty much since the beginning of horror stories. like i said i think the joke at the start of ep 2 worked since it both tied into the plot and was actually a decent joke but yeah the rando shower scene in ep 1 didnt really do much in either direction.

Clarste posted:

The shower scene in Psycho is like one of the most famous movie scenes ever, horror or otherwise.

Edit: Not saying it worked in this particular show, just agreeing that it's always been a part of the horror genre.

that's reasonable, i think i was just on the defensive going into ep 2 given how the fanservice in ep 1 seemed just for the sake of it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

I think that and the fact our lead kinda of shut down when the school girl talk started to be more racy definitely made the service work more cause it worked into the plot/gags where in episode 1 it just stood out

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mysterious Dissappearnce ep2
neat that she can control her age transformation now. Felt like a new show with the scene change for the current arc. If it keeps changing up, I stay a few more episodes.
The bits in the girls school was funny with repeated calling to tropes. And her gushing about being to relive youth again. Then has to deal with the steamy talk with the girls when she has no experience either way. I like the author angle, so that she can probably use these as fuel to write better stories and make a comeback.

Could tell the teacher was the suspicious one the moment she appeared on screen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Watched Grimm Variations episode 1 and 2, Netflix newest OAV like release and it's mediocre at best. Fairy Tails but with a twist is well worn at this point and Grimm isn't doing anything super interesting unique with it. The first episode Cinderella was the best of the 2 I watched cause the idea of Cinderella manipulating things so she can control the life of her step sisters like dolls isn't bad but it's not told all that well given run time and really had a tough time juggling showing the step-sisters as sympathetic but also cruel at the same time . It just felt like the story didn't come together

Episode 2 Little Red Riding Hood played out how you would think a twist on the story would go Man is a wolf and is bored and wants to go on a hunt but Little Red Riding Hood is the one that's hunting him . Add in the fact that both episode while well animated have no interesting visual shots and feel by the numbers, which for a suspense anime is a crime since good shot framing and setting mood can be more important than good animation. Episode 2 is really bad for this as the two scenes just end up being gross and uninteresting instead of having actual impact. The Clamp designs are nice but feel wasted

So like...a typical forgettable Netflix OAV. It's not a horrible watch but you'll forget it afterwards

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

good or bad i appreciate netflix enabling all these little projects that feel like mid-00s anime

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Banking hard on TPBon, and not just because it would be funny if it was really good after Bones flubbed their anniversary project.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that one's dir. masahiro andou whos often very good (sword of the stranger, hanasaku iroha, blast of tempest, etc) so i have higher expectations for it than the average netflix thing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Watched more of Grimm Variations and 3-4 were more of the same but episode 5 was a western with a swole lady blacksmith and had a show girl in love with her so I recommend checking that out

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Got up to ep3 of Grimm.

Didn't like the first two and was pretty boring.
But liked the ending of ep3.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm so glad Konosuba's back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched the OP for Kaiju No.8 and it felt like someone time traveled from 2007 and saw all those "X if it released in 2007" Linkin Park edits and decided to take it as a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFjI21M9wZs

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 20, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ep2 of Kaiji No8.

Some of the stuff going on reminds me of World Trigger.

Also, was not ready for pissing nipples...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 3 of Jellyfish sponsored by Capcom apparently.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Girls Band Cry 3 where the beat is so strong the Pigeon can't help but bop

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Jellyfish episode 3 was a bit heavy.
awww...Vtuber hikkomori girl :( You're still a hero.
Spending 10,000yen at the conbini in one trip though, its presented as sad (because she's lonely), but I would love to stockpile snacks like that.

The bad dancing in the play at the end cracked me up.

Astro Note 3
Kind of falling off it because there's been so little progress. And it seems they keep repeating the landlord manager's mission over and over.
Was hoping for the episodes to be more well-rounded on the cast, but its just been the chef and the lady. Was hoping to reveal maybe at least the other tenants to also be aliens or something. They had a little bit about the kid. The ending was good with a ghost being the one to steal the food after all. Will have to wait till next week if it was just a gag, or if the ghost is actually a resident.

Salad Bowl ep3
Episode has another similarity to Hinamatsuri.

With the cult story here. Its kind of sad watching Livia stay homeless though. Like I don't mind 'this character is poor' humor like in Dropkick On My Devil, but its more on the depressing side in Livia. Go fish in the river, who cares if you don't have a permit. In Hinamatsuri, the kid there gets adopted pretty quick.
The cult plot is the other thing that seemed to be taken out of Hinamatsuri. Could be a reoccuring character as well.

Breaking Wind ep2
Wasn't gonna start it, but decided to pick it up anyway

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Good fansubs for Girls Band Cry ep 2 (by SobsPlease) are up on the cat site now. I imagine ep 3 shouldn't be too far behind. Please watch this show, it's great

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The first episode of Kaiju#8 had the same flashback happen 3 times. Pass.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
narrative devices are the real monsters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4059031

heres a girls band cry thread

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thread added to OP :toot:

quote:

Girls Band Cry
Toei Animation | Kazuo Sakai | Jukki Hanada | Music | Original | Apr 6, 2024
The main character drops out of high school in her second year, and aims at entering a university while working alone in Tokyo. A girl is betrayed by her friends and doesn't know what to do. Another girl is abandoned by her parents, and tries to survive in the city by doing part-time jobs. This world lets us down all the time. Nothing goes as planned. But we want something that we can continue to like. We believe there's a place where we belong. That's why we sing.
PV
Thread

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'm gonna go ahead and say Loser Ranger has the best OP/EDs of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG0cGW35-TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hbv4s7m1s0

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I was watching episode 3 of the appraisal isekai show, and right at the end as they were doing their showy S class magic scene the whole thing was immediately and automatically overwritten by my brain with Megumin shouting "Explosion!".

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sound Euphonium S3 ep3 was strong.
They're covering a lot of ground each episode. Liking the new 1st years in the cast.
There's so much attention to little details in hand gestures and side glances.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kaiju #8 has the worst OP and ED (of all time? possibly. that i've ever seen? probably. of this season? definitely.)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
You already forgot about ReMonster, huh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The ED is whatever but the OP seems fine?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the op looks like a graphics card ad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I just meant the music but it looks stupid lol

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

that music is so so bad
i can't even

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They're mostly lame as choices so obviously made to curry international appeal, same as can happen when you get an anisong artist showing up too frequently in stuff.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

the op looks like a graphics card ad

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be partially AI generated.

Whisper Me A Love Song continues to be good, I'm glad they didn't leave the misunderstanding hanging for longer than they needed to.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Y’all obviously didn’t see sasaki and peeps ending last season. It’s worth watching just to see the most cursed ed ever made

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love the Kaiju #8 OP. It's like I'm back in middle school again

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
honestly if you had told me it was imagine dragons i would have believed you. it just sounds like mall music.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tabletops posted:

honestly if you had told me it was imagine dragons i would have believed you. it just sounds like mall music.

That's the best part!

https://twitter.com/KaijuNo8_O_EN/status/1763037464351096988

It's written by the Imagine Dragons guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I legitimately don't hate the song, it's dumb in a way I find charming, but the visuals are... not good