Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mostly it just reminds me that Arknights got Starset to write them a song but didn't even bother using it in the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Didn’t pay much attention to the OP and ED song, but episode 2 ended with a rude twin tail picking up his car and moving it. So it’s good.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bartender ep 3: still being so melodramatic about mixing drinks that it's continuing to be funny. feeling bad for Ryuu but i believe in him bouncing back now that he's got a sort of dictated challenge to overcome

Jellyfish ep 3: still really good and really flashy, Kiui feels GOAT'd this season already. eager to see where JELEE goes now that all the pieces are seemingly in place. vtuber discussion is henceforth allowed in adtrw as it's canon in anime now

Youkai ep 3: apparently the studio overheard me call it akin to western slice-of-life and decided to prove me wrong with an absolute curveball of a final 15 minutes. good way to keep me watching after i figured as the episode was beginning that it didn't have the energy to keep going as it was for at least 12 eps

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Waffleman_ posted:

That's the best part!

https://twitter.com/KaijuNo8_O_EN/status/1763037464351096988

It's written by the Imagine Dragons guy!

oh lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
finally catching up on stuff from last week. it has a thread but everyone please watch train to the end of the world

https://i.imgur.com/PZlwtFv.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

Jellyfish ep 3: still really good and really flashy, Kiui feels GOAT'd this season already. eager to see where JELEE goes now that all the pieces are seemingly in place. vtuber discussion is henceforth allowed in adtrw as it's canon in anime now

wow, you can't just un-GOAT mei after one episode.

kiui spinning this chair half a dozen times when it doesn't look like it swivels is pretty sick though

https://i.imgur.com/67ymPQ7.mp4

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Unnamed memory episode one watched. Love me a non isekai fantasy romance. Going in blind so hopefully nothing creepy happens

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

kiui spinning this chair half a dozen times when it doesn't look like it swivels is pretty sick though

it's just such a strong season for me...can't help it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Big Leg posted:

those other students can't recognize greatness. Wonder if that one underground idol the two heckled in the first episode is gonna show up much again, she's in the intro, but don't think she's gonna join the group, doesn't really bring anything that isn't already covered. So I guess the party members are all here now.

Also I was like nooo stop when she went crazy and started using all her money to pull the gacha till it hit the freaking spending limit. great part of the episode was also the dancing in the play. So far, everyone's dyed their hair other than Mahiru

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the cat in Tonari no Youkai is the best character in the show atm

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

Unnamed memory episode one watched. Love me a non isekai fantasy romance. Going in blind so hopefully nothing creepy happens

I made a thread for this showe

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4059101

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Girls Band Cry has been growing on me. Nina is such a mess, and watching Momoka use every tactic in the book to try and shape that mess into something resembling a singer is a lot of fun. It's a lot more conflict-based than Jellyfish (which I think right now might be the better show, but not by a huge margin), and the conflict is a lot more immediate and in-your-face than in MyGo, so I think it does manage to carve out its own space. The animation quality is holding up well too, I love the depression particle effect they use whenever Nina takes psychic damage.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eupho S3 thread

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
two new threads :toot:

quote:

:siren:Hibike! Euphonium 3 (Sound! Euphonium 3)
Kyoto Animation | Tatsuya Ishihara | Jukki Hanada | Drama, Music | Novel | Apr 7, 2024
Third season of Hibike! Euphonium.
PV
Thread

quote:

Unnamed Memory
ENGI | Kazuya Miura | Deko Akao | Adventure, Fantasy, Romance | Light Novel | Apr 9, 2024
"My wish as champion is for you to descend the tower and be my wife." Climbing a deadly tower, Oscar seeks the power of its master, the Witch of the Azure Moon. He hopes her incredible magic can break a curse that will kill any woman he takes for a wife. When the prince sees how beautiful Tinasha is, though, he has a better idea—since she's surely strong enough to survive his curse, she should just marry him instead! Tinasha isn't keen on the idea, but agrees to live with Oscar in the royal castle for a year while researching the spell placed on the prince. The witch's pretty face hides several lifetimes of dark secrets, however—secrets that begin resurfacing...
PV
Thread

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

man this season is loving stacked

there's like 13 shows that i want to keep watching

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

man this season is loving stacked

there's like 13 shows that i want to keep watching

this is a hella mood, makes me nervous for summer when i know there's already three shows i wanna check out for it without having dove into a list of what's premiering

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel the opposite about this season. There's definitely a few shows I want to keep following, but some others aren't interesting enough for me to keep going. Like if I don't want to watch as soon as I'm able, it definitely doesn't feel like it'll get watched at all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Definitely Watching:
-Konosuba
-Spice & Wolf

No real explanation needed for either.

Tentatively watching:
-Banished Hero

Not because it's good (it's really, REALLY not), but because it manages to do the concept so poorly and in such an absurd way it's just funny. Also inoffensive compared to a lot of the poor ones. Like, just compare it to two other recent shows that have done (or played with) that concept in a decent manner - Slow Life and Otome Mob. Slow Life very legitimately does the concept, with the struggles more being that all this poo poo just keeps showing up in what was supposed to be his sleepy, backwater town and then him having to help out in dealing with it so he can go back to the slow life. Otome Mob has the MC not really grasping for a while that, nonsensical as it is, it's a real world rather than a game, and basically wrecking his attempts to fade into background because of this - and this is a clearly presented character flaw of his.

Here? "Gosh, I want to live a quiet life away from everything... oh, there's someone in trouble." Proceeds to throw around ludicrously powerful and flashy attacks rather than showing a single hint of restraint. Then follows the clear danger magnet while still espousing the above, and the only reason the baddies haven't realized is due to pure plot contrivance.

Dropped like a stone:
-Highspeed Etoille

Was on the rocks after just one episode, but gave it 3 just to see it did something - ANYTHING - decent. Poor CGI that is actually jerky enough that it's somewhat physically unpleasant to watch in parts. A protagonist so stupid and clueless that I don't think I'd trust them behind the wheel of a normal car, let alone one supposedly going 300+ MPH. And the sports aspect is just so poorly done. In my opinion, there are generally two ways you can take sports anime - you can either mostly stick to the rules of the sport (with artistic flourishes and the like, plus breaks from reality that are mostly unnoticeable to the majority of people), or you go completely absurd. This has done neither - you've got the commentators and the other racers behaving like it's normal racing, and then you've got the protagonist doing dumb poo poo like spinning their car out multiple times and then somehow catching up to someone again in the next frame. Or, "isn't it funny that they ran over the person (albeit hologram) waving a blue flag right in front of them (that "everything else is theoretically presented as grounded, RL-style racing" thing again) while going 'what did that mean?'"

Seeing comments online about how the protag or the "decent" races interest them just depresses me a bit, because in both instances it's legitimately a case study on how to NOT do either.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tonari no Youkai ep3

Each episode is building up on top of well. The scope actually is building on eachother when I thought it was gonna be much more episodic. Cat and old Crow guy is the best.

Chilling with lv2 Cheat and Wolf ep3

Yep, its pretty much in the spirit of the easy living farming isekai. The dumb king knocks on his door and he's just like nah I'm good just living here.
Rie Kugimiya as the wolf is great. And didn't expect Yukari Tamara to show up as the catgirl with some good cat gags like being served tea, and going "ah too hot" cause she's cat.
The Adventurer team that also started living in his house are so useless lol. Its funny when the wolf gets jealous of them. And they were acting all confident in earlier episode. Muscle girl just spends her time farming instead of regular sword training ect.

Spice & Wolf ep3

Still the same scenes, but starting to get its own identity now to separate it from the older show. The focus on Holo's loneliness is a bit more elaborated on in 2024 for one thing imo. while other Holo displayed more on the confident side of her exchanges, even though the same conversations are present in both series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Spice & Wolf, Konosuba, Euphonium, and Yurucamp are what I'm watching now with an intention to get around to Girls Band Cry, Train anime, and Jellyfish later. I definitely have more going on this season than I have in a while.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm optimistic about the season still but definitely have stuff hanging on the edge.

Good to great:
Ranger Reject, Yatagarasu, ShuuTrain, Tonari no Yokai, Mysterious Disappearances, Jellyfish

Blood pacted into watching:
Oblivion Battery (this seems awful and I would normally drop it), Black Butler (very funny), Shadowverse/Shinkalion (fine so far)

Could drop:
Kaiju #8 (already read it), Astro Note (inconsistent ig), Wind Breaker (often too generic)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Astro Note and Wind Breaker on the edge.

Astro Note needs to speed up, and Wind Breaker is just the filler for a slow anime day that I remember is there.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel the opposite about this season. There's definitely a few shows I want to keep following, but some others aren't interesting enough for me to keep going. Like if I don't want to watch as soon as I'm able, it definitely doesn't feel like it'll get watched at all.

I think I've built up too much of a backlog of shows I kinda want to watch sometimes; but anime episodes are short - a hour or two on a boring Sunday and your back to waiting for new releases.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If anyone cares/wants to know what I'm going to dump 20K words on at the end of the season I'm watching fall into the following redundant categories:

New stuff that might actually be Good:
Train to the End of the World, Jellyfish Can't Swim at Night, Spice and Wolf

Ongoing stuff from last season:
Moonlit Fantasy, Delicious in Dungeon

Perma-ongoing stuff:
Wonderful Precure, Pokemon Horizons.

Unlikely to be a masterpiece, may be very good:
Girls Band Cry, Tonari no Youkai-san, Kaiju no. 8, Unnamed Memory

Could go either way:
Kaiju no. 8

Shows that I'm personally pulling for:
Yurucamp 3, Mysterious Disappearances, Jellyfish, Tonari no Youkai-san

Mandatory easy watching:
Yurucamp 3, Bartender, Wonderful Precure

Shows that may not hit for me as a person uninterested in romance:
Spice and Wolf, Unnamed Memory

Show I dropped after episode 1:
Salad Bowl of Eccentrics. I just was not feeling this one.

To be more specific, Tonari no Youkai-san has been delightful to me and the third episode suggests the show may have more teeth than I thought. Mysterious Disappearances episode 2 did a lot to walk back and contextualize the perviness of episode 1 and confirm that the show is just going to be X level of sleazy and let you make the choice informed choice of whether or not that's a dealbreaker. Girls Band Cry and Jellyfish are similar but also extremely different shows, and while neither of them has a stitch on MyGO both of them are in the same ballpark of subject matter and engaging with some compelling and divergent stuff nonetheless. Train to the End of the World has some gonzo energy and I think I see the metaphor but we'll see if it pulls it off, though it very well might. Yurucamp remains a chill delight, and proves once again I'm just a philistine because I really didn't find myself caring about the animation style change. Bartender is a very chill show about a himbo bartender being chill, I imagine the storyline they've indicated at will have a chill resolution. Spice and Wolf is good, but I'm still weighing how good it is. I will say that as a personal thing anything that leans heavily on a romantic angle usually doesn't land for this weirdo internet asexual. Also I never saw the original and know very little about that so the discourse in that direction is a complete wash. Unnamed Memory has the same handicap as Spice and Wolf, but it does seem like there's more to it than just the main pairing so I'm going to at least watch a little more. No clue about Kaiju No. 8, might be okay? It does have that sort of opening that suggests nobody put any effort into it besides maybe commissioning music, but the rest of the show actually put in real stylistic effort. Moonlit Fantasy may finally be hitting the limits of its structure and storytelling chops which is a pity. Delicious in Dungeon meanwhile seems to be growing a larger plot, and I am curious how it's going to go. The current arc of Pokemon Horizons is probably a make or break point as to whether the show proves itself or just coasts, I'm hoping on the former myself and I do believe it has that desire, but the proof is in the pudding. Notably I've dropped Yugioh Go Rush entirely, season 2 was pretty dire on the whole and season 3's pitch was not promising... Meanwhile Wonderful Precure seems to be starting to come into its own. That'll be fun to see, and I'm pulling for Satoru to become a Magical Boy.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
As someone who is usually weeks behind until he binges things late in the season, I always appreciate the write-ups. Looks like a pretty deep season

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Agronox posted:

As someone who is usually weeks behind until he binges things late in the season, I always appreciate the write-ups. Looks like a pretty deep season

Yeah same

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Tabletops posted:

Y’all obviously didn’t see sasaki and peeps ending last season. It’s worth watching just to see the most cursed ed ever made

It reminded me of all the old stop motion TV shows Rankin Bass did for various holidays.

This is not a good thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

As I guessed, the third episode of Rinkai! did a time skip to the qualifiers. And then skipped passed them, saying all the main characters passed because of course they did.
Feels weird to be speeding thru all the setup yet also taking so long to do it all.
At this pace, it'll probably spend the next episode at the training camp and the fifth episode will be their first professional race.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hm, tuesday is an anime free day for me

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
watch dennou coil on tuesdays, OP

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Ya Boy Kongming movie is out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylAywnE1Dw

It's a compilation movie so there's no new content except an extra song

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Voice Actor Radio one of those seasonal shows I kind of forget till it shows up on my feed and I go "oh yay, time to watch"

Episode 3 done.

wow, the best episode yet. Starting to channel some Oshi no Ko vibes.

Episode did a lot.
Good friendship building and pure oppai talk between the two during the sleepover. Love the short scene with Chika's Mom and Yumiko how she was a bit intimidated by her, looking very mature drinking beer after coming home late from work. But opened up after she tasted the food and acted similar to her daughter. The perspective of the Mom is pretty valid. Idol work is kind of unreliable.

Radio show getting cancelled. And argh at the blow up in the studio from Yumiko because of her feeling down failing her auditions. And the ending with the scandal with Chika, argh. Given the reveal that her Dad worked in the industry, its probably her Dad or a close friend that both of them know.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 24, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah a real strong episode and they're a great couple. Still not as strong as the manga but show has improved.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah a real strong episode and they're a great couple. Still not as strong as the manga but show has improved.

yeah uh i was not expecting the directions this episode took but i must say that the show is considerably improving from that mid debut ep

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

think gonna knock Viral Hit off the list and drop it at episode 3.

starting to lose the buzz with Bartender, but episode 4 ended alrite. I feel I should just jump to the end with the cocktail of the week presentation, but I give it 2 more episodes to see if the competition starts.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they simply can't be stopped

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1783500525851603437

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Of all the (many, well-known) things about GoHands, I cannot explain the reaction I have to how they draw hair.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shot underwater

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gohands yuri. what a time to be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Caphi posted:

Of all the (many, well-known) things about GoHands, I cannot explain the reaction I have to how they draw hair.

Starting with negative seems easy enough.