Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spaghetti hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What is up with that hair, I cannot even. Is it supposed to look like that or is gohands being gohands again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's like they saw the hair animation in something like Violet Evergarden and thought "we can top that", but the problem is that a technical flex is supposed to look good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a technical flex in the GoHands catalog competing in a tournament bracket of one.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

gohands yuri. what a time to be alive

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Years ago when I didn't know what "GoHands" was and there was a like 1 minute clip of Hand Shakers making the rounds, and the art and direction was the most nauseating thing I'd seen in anime.

I don't think I've ever seen anything else by them and I will always associate them with that show.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
God bless gohands

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't watched a single show by them but their dedication to the method is endearing. Separated from the art are any of their shows worth checking out from a narrative standpoint? Or is it more like Ex-Arm* where the animation and writing are equally bad?

*I'm aware Ex-Arm was a different studio and had much bigger problems like hiring a showrunner who had never done anime before.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Their original writing is usually pretty cheeks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

its a shame too, cause I was curious and I looked at the Ex-Arm manga.

the art is actually good and decently detailed with fine paneling. Then it gets an anime, and gets the Gohands treatment.

If I was the original manga writer, I be coughing blood.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Masterful Cat is a good sol and SYD was a pretty popular comedy back when it was running.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ex-arm manga is a harmless fanservice action thing. maybe read it if you like titties, w/e. the ex-arm anime is an unintentional comedy masterpiece.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I haven't watched a single show by them but their dedication to the method is endearing. Separated from the art are any of their shows worth checking out from a narrative standpoint? Or is it more like Ex-Arm where the animation and writing are equally bad?

seitokai yakuindomo is a decent slice-of-life comedy if you like dumb sex jokes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh god there's a short trailer and it's the most GoHands thing yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coppelion is bizarre because its an earlier gohands work and it actually looks pretty good. granted the entire thing takes place in a radioactive fallout zone so the weird lighting makes sense

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I've watched a few recent GoHands shows and when they limit the fish eye perspective and insane color filter use to just a few shots per episode then it is fine and won't give you motion sickness. They will still do some insane perspective thing or color filter in almost every episode, so you can easily tell it is them making it without even seeing the credits, but it is actually a lot more effective when used sparingly like that.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Windbreaker e4 - turns out I'm a sucker for male deranged delinquents calling their rivals nickname-chan. Kotoha turning out to be 16 is weird though. how does she own a cafe?! I guess maybe Umemiya got it set up for her when he took over Bofurin and got the town on his side, but still, shouldn't she also be in school? Anyway I'm on board the Kotoha and Othello train anyway so the ages being closer together is more comfy from that angle.

Big excited for next episode - looks like we'll get to see a lot of fights with shishitoren.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

haypliss posted:

Masterful Cat is a good sol and SYD was a pretty popular comedy back when it was running.

I liked Masterful Cat. It wasn't the greatest show, but NoHands toned down their usual eccentricities and turned in a decent result.

As far as the hair in this new show, I think they watched one episode of "Frieren" where Sense was depicted and went *pffffft* "We can do that." I may end up watching just because it could turn out to be the kind of "trainwreck at a clown college" series I enjoy for the spectacle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Monsterfuckers eating well this season

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Four episodes in and A Condition Called Love since kinda feels like Red Flags: the anime and I don't think that's what it's trying to go for lol.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I mean the male lead is 100% a yandere, so I assume it is intentional

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shojos love that

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

my anime seasonal weekbreakdown

Sunday: Appraisal Isekai, Sound Euphonium

Monday: lv2 Cheat & Wolf, Spice & Wolf, 7th Prince isekai

Tuesday: Anime free day

Wednesday: Konosuba, Mysterious Disappearances, Voice Actor Radio, Bartender

Thursday: Salad Days

Friday: Astro Note, Mahouka

Saturday: Jellyfish, Kaiju No8, New Gate, Tonari no Youkai

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

My seasonal week breakdown:

Konosuba and Tonari no Yokai-san when I have time during the week.

Not a bad thing though since Im finally catching up on shows/movies recommended to me from previous years like Gunbuster and Vampire Hunter D.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i simply refresh the front page of my epic streaming site to see what's appeared overnight. Girls Band Cry and Jellyfish today, god is good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My breakdowns happen all the time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

My breakdowns happen all the time

av + post combo

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Monday: lv2 Cheat & Wolf, Spice & Wolf, 7th Prince isekai
Have you given "Train to the End of the World" a try? It's been truly exceptional these past four episodes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mizushima said episode 4 is when the real weird stuff and boy was he right!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mizushima said episode 4 is when the real weird stuff and boy was he right!

i enjoy references to baphomet and being gulliver's travels strapped to a tiny helicopter

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

it's fine, and neat, but I'm still waiting for it to get really nuts

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Made a thread for the yokai show. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4059527

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
OP updated :toot:

quote:

Tonari no Youkai-san
Lidenfilms | Ami Yamauchi | Tomoko Konparu | Slice of Life, Supernatural | Web Manga | Apr 7, 2024
In the rural town of Engamori, the mountain breeze often blows. Everyday life there is mysterious, filled with monsters, humans, and gods coexisting side by side. They live each day with their own joys and worries in their hearts. Buchio lived as a cat until he was 20 years old and was reborn as a nekomata. Mutsumi is a human being who lives a positive life even though she is concerned about her missing father. Jiro is a crow tengu who has been protecting this town for generations. A slightly mysterious and gentle story of connections that occur in the daily life of a relaxing and heart-warming country town.
PV
Thread

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Forgot to post earlier this week, but Spirited Away will be playing in select theaters over the next three or four days as part of the seemingly annual Studio Ghibli film revival thing

The next one'll be Nausicaa in mid May according to this site:

https://yattatachi.com/2024-anime-japanese-films-coming-to-u-s-theaters

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yatagarasu kicking into high gear this week. :toot:

Neither Yukiya nor Asebi have made particularly compelling protagonists thus far, but I'm loving the crown prince.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jellyfish is still ftw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Quote of the week for Jellyfish for me was the girl trying to collect her idol’s bedroom air

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

symbolic posted:

Jellyfish is still ftw

I'd still bet against her, girl couldn't handle school when people just didn't share her hobbies.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Some quality all-nighter energy this week...

That I don't think I've seen since Eizouken...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Episode 5 of Spice & Wolf this week beat out its counterpart of the old show.
Bought out a lot more emotion and really showed Lawrence's nervousness in the sewers, and Holo's hurt feelings of being forgotten after being a good harvest god for so long watching over the village. And the one guy that remembers her and just dismisses her importance right away in front of her like that. The past few episodes made sure to focus on Holo's small bouts of depression to lead to all this too, and signs of questioning in her mind if it was the right thing for her to 'abandon' the village, but this confirms to her that they don't need or even want her around anymore.