Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i dunno but it got delayed to next season anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually remember kind of enjoying Unnamed Memory so I hope this adaptation will be cool.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Spice and Wolf was... okay? I know next to nothing about the original series, but the first episode of the new series was kind of bland. Boring visuals, no amazing plot hook, OP that felt like it was thrown together in five minutes... I guess I'll give it one or two more episodes now that the setup is out of the way, but not a great start.

Shuumatsu Train on the other hand, I really enjoyed. Breakneck pacing that matched the absurd setting, a couple of really good jokes, looking forward to more.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i also know little about og spice and wolf. i thought the setup was fine - there are much worse plothooks for your fantasy than the tension between paganism and christianity and hanging out with a pagan god, and i was feeling the lower-key vibe of everything on top of that. seems like it'll be fun to tour the countryside with that duo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
7th prince is shotacon. it is not subtle about this at all.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I remember dropping off the first Spice Wolf series because it was pleasant but bland. It seemed ride-or-die committed to being non-committal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a very lowkey story in general that basically lives and dies with the duo trading barbs and developing their relationship, with most drama arising from them reckoning with with how different their lives are going to play out between a normal human and an immortal wolf god.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

No Wolf, No Life

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
well train anime certainly has an interesting concept. I can't believe _7G_ would do this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have zero intention of watching Re:Monster but I had to laugh at the OP when I saw it on twitter. The song is bad enough but the "monster drool" is not monster drool.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nate RFB posted:

It's a very lowkey story in general that basically lives and dies with the duo trading barbs and developing their relationship, with most drama arising from them reckoning with with how different their lives are going to play out between a normal human and an immortal wolf god.

sick, that's what i liked about the first ep

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Train to the End of the World seems like it will be fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nate RFB posted:

The original anime also had a pretty languid pace, especially compared to modern LN adaptations, which was a part of its appeal

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I have zero intention of watching Re:Monster but I had to laugh at the OP when I saw it on twitter. The song is bad enough but the "monster drool" is not monster drool.

Monster drool

Monster Drancher

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I was not expecting train to channel Lost Village/Mayoiga but I'm here for it

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Train show owns

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
train to the end of the world is so good

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I almost forgot that I watched the first episode of Astro Note. (I think it got leaked.) Not horrible, kinda "Maison Ikkoku" meets "My Favorite Martian." Some over-the-top characters, but there's enough understated ones to balance for now.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
still thinking about their different run animations (especially akira's at the end) while shizuru is monologuing about all the horrible stuff that happened

https://i.imgur.com/YhyfOA1.mp4

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'ma watch it again. I knew it was gonna be a bit weird but it's kinda like Bravern - I knew what to expect but nevertheless didn't expect it to be so demented.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I watched Re:Monster before I read about the future issue here. But I did find it interesting that the MCs overpowered skill actually came from his previous life and not from his new life like it would in every other isekai.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

train show opening with pushing the 7g button turning japan into abstract art then cutting to a sun bear talking with a capybara is so insanely my type of vibe i was pretty much in at that point. very promising start.

also lol at i can't go with you because reasons

this

Strong first ep

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

I watched Re:Monster before I read about the future issue here. But I did find it interesting that the MCs overpowered skill actually came from his previous life and not from his new life like it would in every other isekai.

yeah i bet that'll have a real tangible goddamn impact huh

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It’s not even that original an idea. John Carter was already unaging before he went to Mars.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wasn't that also the same for the "Instant death ability" one?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was also the case in the magic in this other world is too far behind, where a living cliche from some godawful urban fantasy ln gets isekai'd. i'm sure that will get an anime at some point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it's pretty common for an isekai character to have had a remarkable skill in the real world (eg: they were a genius programmer) which gives them a massive advantage in the fantasy world when they apply it to magical systems or whatever

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I was not expecting train to channel Lost Village/Mayoiga but I'm here for it

i'm sorry what

someone tell me more

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

We don't even need to go to last season or earlier - literally all 3 isekai/reincarnation shows yesterday were of the "carried over their powers from their previous life" variety, so Re: Monster wasn't even unique to that day, let alone previous years..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We have Frieren and Dungeon Meshi now

You don't have to settle for this stuff lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

John Trucksouls

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Seventh Prince: Is that Takehito Koyasu as the bad guy on the flashback? Okay, that's 10/10 anime. Nah... just kidding. The anime is cringe. But it also surprisingly well animated, it's weird. Also, the MC looks, acts, and dressed like a girl but he's a boy. It's weird.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm sorry what

someone tell me more

The adults being turned into talking animals and them being cut off just felt like Lost Village to me

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Seventh Prince: Is that Takehito Koyasu as the bad guy on the flashback? Okay, that's 10/10 anime. Nah... just kidding. The anime is cringe. But it also surprisingly well animated, it's weird. Also, the MC looks, acts, and dressed like a girl but he's a boy. It's weird.

That just happens with shiny-haired isekai boys sometimes

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Train to the End of the World seems like it will be fun.

Seems to be designed so as to make the tone of the show hard to read. So it has sufficient grasp of viewer psyche to wrongfoot me, at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new spice and wolf feels like the original but stripped of literally all charm and intimacy.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That just happens with shiny-haired isekai boys sometimes

is that the mecha isekai one, it not,
flashbacks to the MC of the isekai with the mecha otaku

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

guess I check out "Former Hero lives as he pleases"
get two episodes off the bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

GateOfD posted:

is that the mecha isekai one, it not,
flashbacks to the MC of the isekai with the mecha otaku

yes

crazy how they did almost none of the plot of it in srw 30, its debut