Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ernie himself is essentially made for srw, but the rest of the story and setting very much are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ernie also loving sucks poo poo in 30, to the point that it's actively repelled me from his own series.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

that's a shame. what is his intro like in the game, is he just isekai'd in there too?

In SRW T, they surprisingly went thru the entire plots of like almost everyone, other than Cowboy Bebop, which was just there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, he's isekaied and because in his show, there aren't any real mecha anime, he can't actually geek out over what's there, more the ideas and tropes and it's kinda lame. He also kinda ruins the Gridman plot line with his bullshit.

E: And it's not that being isekaied is bad, Rayearth is also in the game, but in 30, the girls were isekaied from the world of 30 and are isekaied back. Ernie is isekaied to K&M from his "real" world and then isekaied once again into the world of 30, not really much of a fan of him being from like a "higher" meta plane of reality if that makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, he's isekaied and because in his show, there aren't any real mecha anime, he can't actually geek out over what's there, more the ideas and tropes and it's kinda lame. He also kinda ruins the Gridman plot line with his bullshit.

E: And it's not that being isekaied is bad, Rayearth is also in the game, but in 30, the girls were isekaied from the world of 30 and are isekaied back. Ernie is isekaied to K&M from his "real" world and then isekaied once again into the world of 30, not really much of a fan of him being from like a "higher" meta plane of reality if that makes sense.
the 'higher' meta plane of reality thing is just the gridman thing, though, that was gonna exist just by virtue of gridman being in the game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean also aside from that he's annoying as gently caress. Like it's fine for Akane, I get that, but I don't need him using it to go "ha ha robot anime!"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bizarre to me that the general consensus for S&W remake here so far is "mid" even among people who haven't watched the original, since i came off the first episode with a very positive impression. i'm very intrigued about the world and how the pair are going to navigate it and i thought the animation was really nice, plus it's prime time for non-isekai fantasy after the massive success of Frieren and Dungeon Meshi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original had lighting and holo looked like a gremlin

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

kind of want to throw on the first ep of the original and see what i think

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

the original had lighting and holo looked like a gremlin
didn't see anything noticeably wrong with the lighting and holo still seemed pretty gremlin to me. dunno

Southern Cassowary posted:

kind of want to throw on the first ep of the original and see what i think
i'm kinda tempted to as well but at the same time i don't think it'll stop me from continuing to watch the remake. if anything the remake coming out weekly will help me actually end up finishing it compared to the OG lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

It just doesn’t look as sharp as the original. Thankfully it’s all about the banter and the bgm seems just as good. Waiting final judgements till we get to the apple scene

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not watching the new one out of a stupid principle, so my only additional input (yes the designs and modern aesthetic are worse per usual) is the new themes do not measure up.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

changing the thread title to The Haterade Must Flow brb

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've watched both the original S&W and the new episode and the new one looks fine? Great even?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do kind of like having the novel artist for the ED (or if it's not them boy does it look close).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Train girls seems good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

if the original S&W wasn't there as a shadow for the remake, I would say "yea this looks like its gonna be a neat story and looks great" rather than "looks like its gonna be a neat story and looks fine".

just hope they let the scenes breathe instead of just rushing from dialogue piece to dialogue piece

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, felt like they were trying to hit a checklist of scenes. Even what should've been relaxed conversations felt rushed somehow.

Edit: Honestly I can't even remember what the original looked like at this point.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IkKUBJ26fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRL1jSmfIKU

one of these has soul

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The waltz beat from the first OP works better imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

farout landscape shot both has the vibe of 'a long journey theyre taking together' and also hides the fact that you dont know how to draw a horse

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

That Works posted:

Wasn't that also the same for the "Instant death ability" one?

It's a plot point for the instant death ability guy that his nature as incarnate oblivion doesn't translate over to the isekai operating system the weird wizard installed on his playground world, such that nobody understands what he can actually do, aside from the few beings capable of cosmic understanding, who take one look at him, turn three impossible corners, and slam every door.

So it matters to the story, unlike Re:Monster guy's ability, which perfectly integrates with the world's skill systems so it's not any different from something he happened to be reborn with.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i love the painterly backgrounds in the screenshots of old spice and wolf you're posting

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The pacing in the new Spice and Wolf is all off, in addition to its less impressive looks. I’m not ready to write it off yet but I think the next couple of episodes will be pretty instructive for me.

If nothing else if it ends up being mediocre to bad I will finally get off my rear end and read the LNs since I’ve seen the original series so many times. And, well, rewatch the original series yet again lol.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's both

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i can't believe Spice and Wolf is going to be what gives me an anyreusm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i havent read the original novels so i cant comment on accuracy or their artstyle but just as an experiment i watched them side by side and the original seriously has so much more personality in how it expresses things. like at the start of the ep when the 'person who harvests the last crop of wheat is the wolf and gets locked up for the night as part of their goofy festival', in the original its chloe and she gets up on lawrence's cart and jokes with him before getting 'captured'

in the new one its yarei and lawrence watches it from 50000 yards away without interacting with anyone

like idk which one is more accurate to the novels but i know which one feels livelier and makes the world feel like an actual place that lawrence exists in

and it makes the later scene where lawrence decides to leave hit better because it makes it clearer that these are people who know him and are actively inviting him to participate but he still feels disconnected (which also ties into the ending of the ep where he just leaves with holo)

i just lik the og shot more here

see above

extremely minor thing but when holo asks if lawrence thinks shes just crazy in the og her tone is a little annoyed and then she turns it into teasing lawrence while in the reboot she just keeps the generic godly tone the whole time, the former works better imo since it gives more insight into her personality. same with parts of the convo where she teases lawrence about wanting proof. the dialogue pacing in the new one feels more more utilitarian

also during their convo about him turning her over to the church holo yells I HATE THE CHURCH while in the og she just looks annoyed when he mentions it. cause the new one is for isekai fans lmao

in the new one yarai has a big flashback to a Good Deed lawrence did for him while in the og theres a more naturalistic convo between claire and lawrence where they just talk in a way that feels like they know each other without fully laying out their past or lawrences relation to the village. cause the new one is for isekai fans

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like im not even that enamored of the original but every time the new one makes a choice that diverges from the og either stylistically or in terms of what to adapt and what to keep the same as the novels it feels like it makes the most boring choice. its the demons souls ps5 of anime. the new ones Fine but it feels like transported to another world with my wheat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the og isnt even a masterpiece of animation either lawrence feels like hes made entirely of off-model shots and a lot of the shots are really static it just feels more like theres a distinct vision imo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nothing you have ever said has hurt me more than implying im an isekai fan

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My guts tells me that the dialog is probably closer to the original novels and they just adapted it less.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Side by sides are reminding me of Berserk 97 vs the Golden Age films.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sorry. but its seriously the vibe im getting off this lmao. every choice makes lawrence feel less connected to the world, makes holo feel more generic and less of a rounded person, and the dialogue pacing/structure just resembles isekai novels more.

Clarste posted:

My guts tells me that the dialog is probably closer to the original novels and they just adapted it less.

yeah this is also the impression that i get. like the og was made at a time when anime adaptations had the time and freedom to change how scenes played out because animation and writing are different mediums but these days the original novel is just used as a script 99% of the time so you get stuff where characters explain something directly while you can visibly see that thing and dont need it explained to you. or a refusal to just have the animation tell its own story, cause the novel didnt have animation.

again i dont think its bad at all, its a perfectly competent adaptation of a decent novel, it just feels like thats all it is.

like this is the difference between an 8/10 and a 7/10 its just the 7/10 is embodying all the most annoying parts of modern 7/10s compared to old 8/10s. imo.

my ultimate suggestion would just be that if youre curious about this convo watch the first ep of the og and draw your own conclusions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They did add that How I Met Your Father framing device to the beginning, though. Although I guess that's more of an advertisement for the sequel novel starring the daughter.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

like this is the difference between an 8/10 and a 7/10 its just the 7/10 is embodying all the most annoying parts of modern 7/10s compared to old 8/10s. imo.

i def felt like the first ep of the new one was a watchable 7 with a nice hook/vibe to make me want more so i see this argument

i think it'd be really interesting to watch the two and compare them as the new one airs so i think i'm going to do that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original had the narration too that sort of framed it as a story being told to a child but it didnt directly show the mother/daughter yeah. that one def. feels like an ad since its not like the original novel'd go 'holo was talking to this conspicuously silver haired child.' probably

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Chloe is an anime original yes, I don't see the connection that the changes they made is because of a conspiracy its marketed towards isekai watchers rather than just cause they decided to do it that way.

the only thing i truly missed that they cut down on from the original is the very first Lawrence scene.
When Lawrence is stopped by the guards, in the original he explains a process of trade and credit he's doing with the pelts for another product. Here, they just go right into asking about the festival and religion stuff.

I liked the original setup because it shows the viewer "look he is a merchant" and shows he actually has some expertise in economics and trade, rather than him just saying "i'm a merchant. okay, move along"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Chloe is an anime original yes, I don't see the connection that the changes they made is because of a conspiracy its marketed towards isekai watchers rather than just cause they decided to do it that way.
i dont mean 'literally marketed towards isekai watchers' i just mean 'adapted in the same way that makes isekai adaptations kind of dull'