Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new spice and wolf feels like the original but stripped of literally all charm and intimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, he's isekaied and because in his show, there aren't any real mecha anime, he can't actually geek out over what's there, more the ideas and tropes and it's kinda lame. He also kinda ruins the Gridman plot line with his bullshit.

E: And it's not that being isekaied is bad, Rayearth is also in the game, but in 30, the girls were isekaied from the world of 30 and are isekaied back. Ernie is isekaied to K&M from his "real" world and then isekaied once again into the world of 30, not really much of a fan of him being from like a "higher" meta plane of reality if that makes sense.
the 'higher' meta plane of reality thing is just the gridman thing, though, that was gonna exist just by virtue of gridman being in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original had lighting and holo looked like a gremlin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IkKUBJ26fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRL1jSmfIKU

one of these has soul

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

farout landscape shot both has the vibe of 'a long journey theyre taking together' and also hides the fact that you dont know how to draw a horse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i havent read the original novels so i cant comment on accuracy or their artstyle but just as an experiment i watched them side by side and the original seriously has so much more personality in how it expresses things. like at the start of the ep when the 'person who harvests the last crop of wheat is the wolf and gets locked up for the night as part of their goofy festival', in the original its chloe and she gets up on lawrence's cart and jokes with him before getting 'captured'

in the new one its yarei and lawrence watches it from 50000 yards away without interacting with anyone

like idk which one is more accurate to the novels but i know which one feels livelier and makes the world feel like an actual place that lawrence exists in

and it makes the later scene where lawrence decides to leave hit better because it makes it clearer that these are people who know him and are actively inviting him to participate but he still feels disconnected (which also ties into the ending of the ep where he just leaves with holo)

i just lik the og shot more here

see above

extremely minor thing but when holo asks if lawrence thinks shes just crazy in the og her tone is a little annoyed and then she turns it into teasing lawrence while in the reboot she just keeps the generic godly tone the whole time, the former works better imo since it gives more insight into her personality. same with parts of the convo where she teases lawrence about wanting proof. the dialogue pacing in the new one feels more more utilitarian

also during their convo about him turning her over to the church holo yells I HATE THE CHURCH while in the og she just looks annoyed when he mentions it. cause the new one is for isekai fans lmao

in the new one yarai has a big flashback to a Good Deed lawrence did for him while in the og theres a more naturalistic convo between claire and lawrence where they just talk in a way that feels like they know each other without fully laying out their past or lawrences relation to the village. cause the new one is for isekai fans

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like im not even that enamored of the original but every time the new one makes a choice that diverges from the og either stylistically or in terms of what to adapt and what to keep the same as the novels it feels like it makes the most boring choice. its the demons souls ps5 of anime. the new ones Fine but it feels like transported to another world with my wheat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the og isnt even a masterpiece of animation either lawrence feels like hes made entirely of off-model shots and a lot of the shots are really static it just feels more like theres a distinct vision imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sorry. but its seriously the vibe im getting off this lmao. every choice makes lawrence feel less connected to the world, makes holo feel more generic and less of a rounded person, and the dialogue pacing/structure just resembles isekai novels more.

Clarste posted:

My guts tells me that the dialog is probably closer to the original novels and they just adapted it less.

yeah this is also the impression that i get. like the og was made at a time when anime adaptations had the time and freedom to change how scenes played out because animation and writing are different mediums but these days the original novel is just used as a script 99% of the time so you get stuff where characters explain something directly while you can visibly see that thing and dont need it explained to you. or a refusal to just have the animation tell its own story, cause the novel didnt have animation.

again i dont think its bad at all, its a perfectly competent adaptation of a decent novel, it just feels like thats all it is.

like this is the difference between an 8/10 and a 7/10 its just the 7/10 is embodying all the most annoying parts of modern 7/10s compared to old 8/10s. imo.

my ultimate suggestion would just be that if youre curious about this convo watch the first ep of the og and draw your own conclusions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original had the narration too that sort of framed it as a story being told to a child but it didnt directly show the mother/daughter yeah. that one def. feels like an ad since its not like the original novel'd go 'holo was talking to this conspicuously silver haired child.' probably

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Chloe is an anime original yes, I don't see the connection that the changes they made is because of a conspiracy its marketed towards isekai watchers rather than just cause they decided to do it that way.
i dont mean 'literally marketed towards isekai watchers' i just mean 'adapted in the same way that makes isekai adaptations kind of dull'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

again though even in the original hes not, actively participating, the others are more just actively inviting him into it. that characterization is more interesting when presented in the way the og does imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Has there ever been a good remake of anything?
resident evil 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt even really grow up with og spice and wolf, i first watched it in like 2014ish. and like i said its not like, one of my favorite series ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your heart isnt in this

much like spice and wolf 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why does it linger on the cum title for like 40 seconds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres the peak of bad rap ops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-QpTrRsr0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

i am completely okay with it occasionally taking itself so seriously it loops back around to being funny
firefighter daigo has too much recap and is pretty banal but occasionally it busts out an amazing bit like 'did you know the tools firefighters use, are similar to the ones ninjas used' and a guy rescuing two women so he just, starts talking about the one woman he knows, to try and relate to them, and this is presented as proof that hes cut out to be a firefighter and not incredibly lame

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1776349067326460302

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Can someone DM me about something that’s not wherever you can find Girls Band Cry
what noise do japanese cats make

follow that with a dot and then the spanish word for yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no not mew.porsupuesto

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they look more inbred to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also for the record the deal with the girls band cry subs is that some guy posted mostly done subs, someone else stole them and MTL'd a few random lines and inserted some memes, and then splashed them all over various piracy sites

so the guy who actually did the TL isnt gonna fansub it anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

important note for eupho s3: there are two movies that take place between s2 and s3, our promise and ensemble contest arc. you should watch those before s3. barely anyone in the west noticed those movies came out so theyre very easy to miss lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shinkalion: change the world seems a bit ssss shinkalion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/shinkalion/status/1765512743124083092

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly its not that much weirder than all the random side premises that get tacked onto straight stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't omegaverse stuff the right-wing version of fursonas?

what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the right wing version of fursonas is fursonas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the blue archive main plot and premise aren't really explained or shown clearly at the start, or in what the anime will cover, so theres not really that much to explain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even girls band cry's comedy is way more in your face than mygo or jellyfish, with the wacky animated hijinks. like thats just its tone i feel like, its very blunt and direct and gets to what its going for right away, it doesnt feel interested in dragging things out much. thats fine imo, its just what its going for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cave emperor posted:

Shiny Colors: They've been cranking out new Idolmaster series lately, and while they're all very similar, this one really didn't have anything going for it. Boring main trio, lifeless cliche-ridden setup, bland CGI visuals. Dropped before the end of the first episode.

Kaijuu 8: Quite enjoyed this, between the likeable lead and the flashy action. Not sure where it'll go from here, but I'm on board for now.

Whisper Me a Love Song: Good.

the main trio in shiny colors own but they didnt really adapt half the stuff that makes them interesting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like in hiori's intro scene in the game she does the cool rival shtick like 'i'm only here to focus on being an idol. let's not get in each other's way.' and then they replay the scene from her perspective and her internal monologue is just 'oh god i sound like such an rear end in a top hat. why did i say that. wait that came out wrong. ugh ifi just stop talking i cant make it any worse. wait no now they think im being rude!!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my hero academia does it a couple times

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most precure series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

konosuba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph