Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clarste posted:

I don't think that's true, because there are like 50 billion of them and 99% of them are so interchangeable that even readers can't tell them apart.

There's a couple where the protagonist is a spider or a slime or a skeleton or an otome princess but 99% of them are this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brutal Garcon posted:

I want to say bottom left is the Other Isekai'd Guy from fabiniku,
Bingo

Brutal Garcon posted:

other than that I'm lost. Bottom-middle mole guy looks familiar too.

Protag from The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

at least one of them is kirito but damned if i can tell which

Top row, second guy?
E: nope, google says that's Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 1, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it's pretty common for an isekai character to have had a remarkable skill in the real world (eg: they were a genius programmer) which gives them a massive advantage in the fantasy world when they apply it to magical systems or whatever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Seventh Prince: Is that Takehito Koyasu as the bad guy on the flashback? Okay, that's 10/10 anime. Nah... just kidding. The anime is cringe. But it also surprisingly well animated, it's weird. Also, the MC looks, acts, and dressed like a girl but he's a boy. It's weird.

That just happens with shiny-haired isekai boys sometimes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clarste posted:

It really does feel like an HD remaster of an N64 game, huh? Although my first thought was Mario 64.

All of the other rendered environments in the rest of the episode are fine, I guess they had to drop the poly count way way down to render that swooping shot which circled through the entire city because it's much shittier than all the other shots which only show a few buildings or a single location
It was an odd choice to open the episode with that crappy shot immediately after the opening credits

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Walrus posted:

I understand that Wind Breaker appears to be a cool and good show that people like, but lol at the title.

ninjewtsu posted:

if i start watching this are there going to be stupid fart jokes or is that just a poor title choice

It's pretty much another name for a bomber jacket, which is the school uniform.

There's also a pun there because the school name because furin (風鈴, wind bell) sounds similar to furin (不倫 adultery, impropriety) and their new nickname boufuurin (ボウフウリン) means a protective windbreak row of trees or hedges
(I googled this, if anyone knows better please chime in)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pork never goes bad posted:

that japanese stuff tracks though (and except the adultery bit is explained in the show at the end of the first ep)

Yeah the furin/fuurin thing might be a bit of a stretch, I'm completely guessing about the puns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Episode 1 of Sentai Daishikkaku (Go! Go! Loser Ranger!) was pretty good. I had no idea what it'd be about and it turns out a Putty from Power Rangers Dragon Rangers decides he's sick of losing and takes on human form to infiltrate Rangers academy which is a fun hook.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tales of Woe posted:

tonari no youkai-san seems very good

Yeah episode 1 was delightful

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

symbolic posted:

Train to the End of the World. what's the other?

Shinkalion?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Southern Cassowary posted:

lol

i just watched the first ep of viral hit and i think of all the stuff i've watched this season it's stuck in my brain the most, but idk if i'm going to stick with it

it's about an outcast kid who accidentally livestreams a fight with one of his tormentors and it gets millions of views, so they team up to start a youtube channel about fighting bullies. it's all grotesque facial expressions and shockingly grounded street fights. there's curb stomping, hair pulling, a guy swings a pot at another guy's head. viral hit is incredibly visceral in a way anime often isn't.

honestly i found it kind of miserable, i'm not sure i want to engage with this world at all, but it's definitely interesting. sort of curious what people thought about the manhwa.

Pretty much my exact reaction but I'm curious about the rooster mask guy in the OP so I might stick with it a little longer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sb hermit posted:

I would have expected this kind of talk in the chat thread, not the seasonal thread

Wait, you expected this kind of chat? :raise:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pan Dulce posted:

That's three episodes now that they tell the main character his skills as a bartender suck. It almost makes me laugh, especially considering the contrast to real life and how little it takes to satisfy the common folk at the bar.

Eh, it's a nice change on the usual "Hidden venue which you can only find if you really need it" genre like Restaurant to Another World where the customer is always completely blown away by whatever they're served. This guy has a supernatural ability to mix the exact cocktail that his customer didn't even know they needed but he still hasn't perfected his craft

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Ya Boy Kongming movie is out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylAywnE1Dw

It's a compilation movie so there's no new content except an extra song

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wow, the 6th episode of The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases was a masterclass in cliched writing. We had an evil villain going "Since you're about to die I guess it won't hurt to explain our evil plot to you!!" which someone secretly recorded and then replayed in front of the entire town to expose the real villain who shouted "You've ruined our evil scheme!!!" followed by a maniacal laugh. Later on when the hero-in-training was about to die the protagonist suddenly appeared out of nowhere to block the killing blow, looking back over his shoulder with a wink and saying "Sorry I took so long". The real mastermind (the protag's father) then fought it out with the protag but was easily defeated, so he surrendered his humanity to demonic forces for a power boost which somehow created a giant blue laser shooting up into the sky which formed a ring of dark clouds which spread out over the town. The protag then duked it out with his father in a metaphysical realm of memories which ended with his father realising that his defeat meant that the protag had fulfilled his destiny as a true Hero so his beloved wife's dying wish had actually come true, and as he started to turn to dust and blow away in the breeze he had a tear in his eye and a smile on his face, and a glowing butterfly representing his dead wife's spirit landed on his finger just as he finally crumbled away to nothing. The king then offered the protag a peerage, which he politely declined

It was genuinely the most cliche-ridden piece of media I've ever consumed, I'm actually impressed

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

you're surprised that it's generic poo poo?
No

Erg posted:

Either enjoy it for what it is

I do

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

caught up on the Crow show.
Much more focused on the inner palace politics stuff than Apothecary Diaries and none of the fun humor that Diaries have.

This post threw me until I realised there's two crow shows this season and I was thinking of the wrong one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but i think that whoever is doing framing/story boarding on kaiju 8 doesn't understand the assignment. It's been multiple times where the final move was

1. Electric charging up
2. Anti seizure filter cranked to 11 gets activated
3. Stuff happens in a unintelligible dark smear
4. Monster is now a cloud of gore

Once it's understandable but every time is a bit bad.

Yeah it's all falling a bit flat for me. On paper it should be a series which kicks rear end (I was hyping it in the Cinema Discusso kaiju thread for months, lol) but it's just not coming together for me for some reason.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

Do you like the manga? I love Godzilla movies and toku too, but perusing the manga at the store something about it looked generic and joyless to me anyway. So curious if you were a fan already or just though the anime looked cool, I know the manga has its fans.

I only read the first few chapters of the manga before I decided to wait for the anime but that's what got me hyped for the show. I remember that the trailer looked really promising, it seemed to flesh out certain scenes like the appearance of the big kaiju right at the start

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The music video for the Loser Ranger OP is some fun tokusatsu shenanigans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZYjfMqAsc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is there a lore reason they're called the Suicide Squad?

"Task Force X" has been nicknamed "The Suicide Squad" ever since their first Silver Age appearance back in 1959, before the squad started using super villains. Originally it was because Rick Flag was the only survivor of a WW2 bombing raid on a Japanese fleet and he made a promise to his fallen comrades to keep carrying on the fight "as a member of the suicide squad".

When the team got relaunched in 1987 as a secret group of government-controlled villains they got the nickname pretty much the same as happened in the 2016 film